PDA

View Full Version : Christians: If it wasn't for sex - would there be any reason to get married?

-Cp
05-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Yes or No?

I say no.

05-29-2010, 01:49 PM
yes

Abbey Marie
05-29-2010, 02:11 PM
The fact that you can think this is so weird. Is your wife just there for sex?

-Cp
05-29-2010, 02:51 PM
The fact that you can think this is so weird. Is your wife just there for sex?

Nope.. but the only reason Christians DO get married is for sex - otherwise, they could just be room mates. As Christians, every other aspect of the relationship can be handled without being married.

-Cp
05-29-2010, 02:52 PM
yes

And those reasons would be????

05-29-2010, 03:17 PM
To make commitments of honesty and fidelity toward on another. To join together in the creating and raising of children. To have complete confidence that you have someone who is a partner and a friend whenever you are in trouble.

-Cp
05-29-2010, 05:11 PM
To make commitments of honesty and fidelity toward on another.

Those commitments don't mandate marriage between Christians -in fact, as a Christian, we should always be loyal and honest to those around us anyways.

To join together in the creating and raising of children. To have complete confidence that you have someone who is a partner and a friend whenever you are in trouble.

Again, creating and raising children underscores my point that the only reason to get married - if you're a Christian - is for sex.

darin
05-29-2010, 06:43 PM
To make commitments of honesty and fidelity toward on another. To join together in the creating and raising of children. To have complete confidence that you have someone who is a partner and a friend whenever you are in trouble.

Being quite honest, the ONLY concern in terms of fidelity is that of a sexual nature. No woman, in the history of time, has ever said "My husband had sex with another woman because I've been cheating on him - I've been cheating him out of a vow I made to love, honor, and cherish."

So - taking away the only Vow people seem to care about, there's no practical purpose for marriage. A commitment of one's love and companionship isn't related to marriage.

I believe people like to THINK they are 'above sex' in terms of what's important in life. It's a reaction to immediately say 'yes!' but upon critical thinking application, there's not much a legal marriage can offer (never mind tax, etc, benefits) a 'best friendship' cannot.

chloe
05-29-2010, 07:43 PM
Yes or No?

I say no.

Why do christians have to get married? I don't think they always had marriage ceremonies.

darin
05-29-2010, 08:18 PM
Why do christians have to get married? I don't think they always had marriage ceremonies.

I think those are tradition - but many have assigned Biblical importance to them.

DragonStryk72
05-30-2010, 03:29 AM
Yes or No?

I say no.

Yes. It's about more than simply sex, and hence why a number of married couples have a lot less sex once they are married. It is about sharing your life with just one other person who will be there with you through everything, that you have a singular love for, and hopefully, who loves you in return. Simple having a roommate is not the same thing by any stretch, because again, the kind of intimacy required for a roommate, and the kind required for a wife or husband is completely different.

If it were simple a matter of sex, then no marriage would really survive menopause, but they do, so we know that there is more there than that. And as well, no one would marry a person whom them find sexually unattractive, but again, we know that happens as well.

-Cp
05-30-2010, 03:39 AM
Yes. It's about more than simply sex, and hence why a number of married couples have a lot less sex once they are married. It is about sharing your life with just one other person who will be there with you through everything, that you have a singular love for, and hopefully, who loves you in return. Simple having a roommate is not the same thing by any stretch, because again, the kind of intimacy required for a roommate, and the kind required for a wife or husband is completely different.

Everything you described can be had in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship outside of sex.

If it were simple a matter of sex, then no marriage would really survive menopause, but they do, so we know that there is more there than that. And as well, no one would marry a person whom them find sexually unattractive, but again, we know that happens as well.

You don't think folks have sex once the woman hits menopause? Really?

BoogyMan
05-30-2010, 12:15 PM
Nope.. but the only reason Christians DO get married is for sex - otherwise, they could just be room mates. As Christians, every other aspect of the relationship can be handled without being married.

You have some real issues if you truly believe that. Husband and wife have a God given and very special relationship that is not one prescribed for those outside of marriage.

22 Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

-Cp
05-30-2010, 12:25 PM
You have some real issues if you truly believe that. Husband and wife have a God given and very special relationship that is not one prescribed for those outside of marriage.

Are you going to simply make allegations of me having "issues" or actually prove my thinking wrong somehow?

Right.. that "special relationship" is sexual...

HogTrash
05-30-2010, 02:19 PM
Considering that sex is the most popular passtime on planet earth and is the driving force behind almost every aspect of human life, I doubt we'll ever find out.

DragonStryk72
05-30-2010, 07:39 PM
Everything you described can be had in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship outside of sex.

That's where we disagree, really. I mean, in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, either party can just up and leave at any point, really. In marriage, you're pretty well attached to another human being both for your living conditions, as well as financially speaking (Shared credit, and shared accounts in most all instances). You asked if there was a reason other than sex for marriage, well there is: Love. Loving someone in marriage is different than loving someone in a simple boyfriend/girlfriend way, a way of saying explicitly that you wish to spend the rest of your life with just this one other person.

Whether you care about that reason or not, cp, you only specified that there needed to be one aside from sex, and there is. Your point has been answered.

-Cp
05-30-2010, 08:21 PM
That's where we disagree, really. I mean, in a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship, either party can just up and leave at any point, really. In marriage, you're pretty well attached to another human being both for your living conditions, as well as financially speaking (Shared credit, and shared accounts in most all instances). You asked if there was a reason other than sex for marriage, well there is: Love. Loving someone in marriage is different than loving someone in a simple boyfriend/girlfriend way, a way of saying explicitly that you wish to spend the rest of your life with just this one other person.

Whether you care about that reason or not, cp, you only specified that there needed to be one aside from sex, and there is. Your point has been answered.

I didn't love my wife any more on my wedding day than I did the day before..

darin
05-30-2010, 09:17 PM

That's ad hominem.

What about marriage is God-given? I chose my wife - He didn't choose her for me. The only defining act in marriage is sex. Nothing is different between best of friends - except a marriage's intimate/sexual relationship.

What's the purpose of marital attachment over two friends deciding to hang out forever?

-Cp
05-30-2010, 09:58 PM
That's ad hominem.

What about marriage is God-given? I chose my wife - He didn't choose her for me. The only defining act in marriage is sex. Nothing is different between best of friends - except a marriage's intimate/sexual relationship.

What's the purpose of marital attachment over two friends deciding to hang out forever?

To your point, Dmp - there's even a book we have called "The Act of Marriage" by Christian authors, Tim and Beverly LaHaye that teaches married couples all about sex.

http://www.amazon.com/Act-Marriage-Tim-LaHaye/dp/0310212006

-Cp
05-30-2010, 09:59 PM
Check out the first few paragraphs even..

BoogyMan
05-30-2010, 10:37 PM
Are you going to simply make allegations of me having "issues" or actually prove my thinking wrong somehow?

Right.. that "special relationship" is sexual...

You know that little box below the text where I pointed out your issues? That is called a quote box and those things inside it are words, words from the bible that destroy your silly sex-only argument.

BoogyMan
05-30-2010, 10:38 PM
That's ad hominem.

That is just sad, DMP. Man is to have the same kind of love for his wife that Christ has for the church. We are never instructed to have that kind of love for our best friends.

chloe
05-30-2010, 10:45 PM
That is just sad, DMP. Man is to have the same kind of love for his wife that Christ has for the church. We are never instructed to have that kind of love for our best friends.

I looked it up and saw that is in wedding vows for religious people. Thanks for the education.

Wedding Vows

Male

I, _____, take you, ______, to be my wedded wife. With deepest joy I receive you into my life that together we may be one. As is Christ to His body, the church, so I will be to you a loving and faithful husband. Always will I perform my headship over you even as Christ does over me, knowing that His Lordship is one of the holiest desires for my life. I promise you my deepest love, my fullest devotion, my tenderest care. I promise I will live first unto God rather than others or even you. I promise that I will lead our lives into a life of faith and hope in Christ Jesus. Ever honoring God's guidance by His spirit through the Word, And so throughout life, no matter what may lie ahead of us, I pledge to you my life as a loving and faithful husband.

Female

I, _____, take you, ______, to be my wedded husband. With deepest joy I come into my new life with you. As you have pledged to me your life and love, so I too happily give you my life, and in confidence submit myself to your headship as to the Lord. As is the church in her relationship to Christ, so I will be to you. _____, I will live first unto our God and then unto you, loving you, obeying you, caring for you and ever seeking to please you. God has prepared me for you and so I will ever strengthen, help, comfort, and encourage you. Therefore, throughout life, no matter what may be ahead of us, I pledge to you my life as an obedient and faithful wife.

http://bible.org/article/sample-wedding-vows

-Cp
05-30-2010, 11:14 PM

Really?

"No greater love has no man than he who lays his life down for another"...

If you want to talk about "destroying arguments"...

revelarts
05-30-2010, 11:58 PM
seems to me there are 2 problems with your question.

1. it assume that God would have ordained marriage if he didn't make sex and sexes.

What i mean is "God made man and woman... the 2 may be 1 flesh" Sex is part of the plan. Monogamous marriage is the God prescribed social arrangement for it.
Yes, it's a package deal.

and 2 ... Has been pointed out. In that God has MORE than sex in mind for marriage. Part of the package is companionship and the imperfect living picture of Gods love and sacrifice for his chosen peoples. Often in scripture God compares himself to a faithful longsuffering husband to a less than faithful or no good wife. The Prophet Hosea being the most plain example.
"
Hosea 1:2
The beginning of the word of the LORD by Hosea. And the LORD said to Hosea, Go, take unto thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms: for the land hath committed great whoredom, departing from the LORD."

I don't believe in heaven there's going to be sex or marriage. Jesus was asked about it and his answer implied that in heaven married people so I'd assume that there will be no sex.

"Matthew 22:30
For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven."

The loving relationships in heaven will not suffer for lack of marriage.

But on Earth God made Men and Women and COMMANDED them to be fruitful and multiply. Sex is part of the plan, to take it out of the equation certainly take a primary ingredient but there are no other social contracts made between "strangers" that really compare to the commitment that marriages demand ... with or without sex.

Sure .. you can say... friends or roommates can and have done as much but it's not typical for people to make um .. blood oath types vows/commitments to people other than parents or children. People have kept marriage vows long after sex, or even friendship has gone if a spouses mind or bodies become too sick. "in sickness or in health ... till death do us part."

take from that what you will CP

-Cp
05-31-2010, 12:44 AM
seems to me there are 2 problems with your question.

1. it assume that God would have ordained marriage if he didn't make sex and sexes.

What i mean is "God made man and woman... the 2 may be 1 flesh" Sex is part of the plan. Monogamous marriage is the God prescribed social arrangement for it.
Yes, it's a package deal.

and 2 ... Has been pointed out. In that God has MORE than sex in mind for marriage. Part of the package is companionship and the imperfect living picture of Gods love and sacrifice for his chosen peoples. Often in scripture God compares himself to a faithful longsuffering husband to a less than faithful or no good wife. The Prophet Hosea being the most plain example.
"
Hosea 1:2
The beginning of the word of the LORD by Hosea. And the LORD said to Hosea, Go, take unto thee a wife of whoredoms and children of whoredoms: for the land hath committed great whoredom, departing from the LORD."

I don't believe in heaven there's going to be sex or marriage. Jesus was asked about it and his answer implied that in heaven married people so I'd assume that there will be no sex.

"Matthew 22:30
For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven."

The loving relationships in heaven will not suffer for lack of marriage.

But on Earth God made Men and Women and COMMANDED them to be fruitful and multiply. Sex is part of the plan, to take it out of the equation certainly take a primary ingredient but there are no other social contracts made between "strangers" that really compare to the commitment that marriages demand ... with or without sex.

Sure .. you can say... friends or roommates can and have done as much but it's not typical for people to make um .. blood oath types vows/commitments to people other than parents or children. People have kept marriage vows long after sex, or even friendship has gone if a spouses mind or bodies become too sick. "in sickness or in health ... till death do us part."

take from that what you will CP

Vows are driven by society and culture - Adam and Eve have no recorded "vows"..

Thanks again for underscoring my point.. :)

BoogyMan
05-31-2010, 09:14 AM
Really?

"No greater love has no man than he who lays his life down for another"...

If you want to talk about "destroying arguments"...

Since you have no context to your "argument" I don't see how you have done anything other than bolster my argument here.

If you actually knew the scripture you could have posted the verse just prior to that where Christ actually told people to love one another as Christ loved them. (11 John 15:12) This might have bolstered your case if you twisted it as you have done the marriage relationship, but I would have shot that down as well. He refers to Himself in the following verse, but you keep on Googling and you might scratch up something. :)

There is much more to having the same kind of love for your wife as Christ has for the church than His death. We could get into the discussion of leaving and cleaving, headship, responsibility, the closeness that this relationship calls for, etc.

darin
05-31-2010, 09:53 AM

God never graded love. The Church has.

________

What I see here is this: "This question has challenged long-held traditions! We must RALLY! Get the torches!!"

Check out the first few paragraphs even..

"...God created our sex organs our enjoyment..."

I'd wager God created the sex organs of EVERY animal for that animal's enjoyment, too. Just sayin...

That book calls sex "The act of Marriage". Implies the authors would agree with the premise "The graduating criteria of friendship to marriage is sex."

-Cp
05-31-2010, 12:21 PM
Since you have no context to your "argument" I don't see how you have done anything other than bolster my argument here.

If you actually knew the scripture you could have posted the verse just prior to that where Christ actually told people to love one another as Christ loved them. (11 John 15:12) This might have bolstered your case if you twisted it as you have done the marriage relationship, but I would have shot that down as well. He refers to Himself in the following verse, but you keep on Googling and you might scratch up something. :)

There is much more to having the same kind of love for your wife as Christ has for the church than His death. We could get into the discussion of leaving and cleaving, headship, responsibility, the closeness that this relationship calls for, etc.

Your assumption that Christ "loves the church" any more than does anyone else, is absurd.

BoogyMan
05-31-2010, 12:49 PM
God never graded love. The Church has.

Wow, have you actually even read the text, dmp? How many words are translated as love from the Greek and what are their primary definitions?

Your assumption that Christ "loves the church" any more than does anyone else, is absurd.

I think you should read the text and then get back to me. There are different kinds of love as the word is translated from the Greek.

-Cp
05-31-2010, 12:54 PM
I think you should read the text and then get back to me. There are different kinds of love as the word is translated from the Greek.

I have read it many times - your point is?

-Cp
05-31-2010, 01:04 PM
Wow, have you actually even read the text, dmp? How many words are translated as love from the Greek and what are their primary definitions?

Can you please provide an example where God graded love?

BoogyMan
05-31-2010, 02:59 PM
I have read it many times - your point is?

You don't seem to understand that there are MANY different words translated as love from the Greek that are used in the New Testament and they have different meanings.

Do you know them? Can you differentiate between them?

-Cp
05-31-2010, 03:32 PM
You don't seem to understand that there are MANY different words translated as love from the Greek that are used in the New Testament and they have different meanings.

Do you know them? Can you differentiate between them?

Of course but what do the varying Greek words for love have to do with the topic at hand?

SassyLady
05-31-2010, 04:40 PM
I looked it up and saw that is in wedding vows for religious people. Thanks for the education.

Wedding Vows

Male

I, _____, take you, ______, to be my wedded wife. With deepest joy I receive you into my life that together we may be one. As is Christ to His body, the church, so I will be to you a loving and faithful husband. Always will I perform my headship over you even as Christ does over me, knowing that His Lordship is one of the holiest desires for my life. I promise you my deepest love, my fullest devotion, my tenderest care. I promise I will live first unto God rather than others or even you. I promise that I will lead our lives into a life of faith and hope in Christ Jesus. Ever honoring God's guidance by His spirit through the Word, And so throughout life, no matter what may lie ahead of us, I pledge to you my life as a loving and faithful husband.

Female

I, _____, take you, ______, to be my wedded husband. With deepest joy I come into my new life with you. As you have pledged to me your life and love, so I too happily give you my life, and in confidence submit myself to your headship as to the Lord. As is the church in her relationship to Christ, so I will be to you. _____, I will live first unto our God and then unto you, loving you, obeying you, caring for you and ever seeking to please you. God has prepared me for you and so I will ever strengthen, help, comfort, and encourage you. Therefore, throughout life, no matter what may be ahead of us, I pledge to you my life as an obedient and faithful wife.

http://bible.org/article/sample-wedding-vows

Chloe,

My husband and I didn't like these vows so we used the ones from Conversations with God....made more sense to us. We didn't belong to any church so we just made a couple of changes and handed to our officiant. My daughter loved them and used them for her vows.

http://everything2.com/title/Uncommon+wedding+vows

darin
05-31-2010, 05:28 PM

You're doing a good job of changing the topic of discussion to match your point of view.

I wrote 'graded' love - not 'types of love'.

Abbey Marie
05-31-2010, 05:50 PM

-Cp, your first sentence seems completely contradictory. Let me rephrase the question: Do you stay with your wife only because the sex is good? What if it isn't? Does that mean it's time to move on?

In order to become a member of the bar, I had to take an oath. As do other professions. Would you actually expect me to do less when I decided to spend my life with my (then) husband-to-be?

Also, Paul said it would be better if we do not marry; presumably because it interferes with the ability to totally devote oneself to God/to ministry/to spreading the gospel. Do you think that Paul said that because having a sex partner would be too distracting, or do you think that Paul understood that marriage is a much bigger relationship than just coupling body parts?

darin
05-31-2010, 06:48 PM
-Cp, your first sentence seems completely contradictory. Let me rephrase the question: Do you stay with your wife only because the sex is good? What if it isn't? Does that mean it's time to move on?

You're measuring quality of sex - that wasn't his point. His point was not about staying married - but about the practice in the first place. He's saying what I've long-said - maybe the past 10 years - the single factor which changes 'best friends' is 'intimate sexual relations'.

Do you think that Paul said that because having a sex partner would be too distracting, or do you think that Paul understood that marriage is a much bigger relationship than just coupling body parts?

He actually said "If your desire for sex distracts you, please, do marry!" - which supports my guess that Marriage and Friendship are only differentiated by sexual activity.

chloe
05-31-2010, 06:54 PM
You're measuring quality of sex - that wasn't his point. His point was not about staying married - but about the practice in the first place. He's saying what I've long-said - maybe the past 10 years - the single factor which changes 'best friends' is 'intimate sexual relations'.

He actually said "If your desire for sex distracts you, please, do marry!" - which supports my guess that Marriage and Friendship are only differentiated by sexual activity.

I guess your right.
Paralyzed--and denied a church wedding

Monday June 9, 2008

Can this be true? Catholic World News reports that an Italian bishop has refused to allow a church wedding for a paraplegic man because the impotence resulting from his crippling automobile accident would be grounds for an annulment.

A spokesman for Bishop Lorenzo Chiarinelli of Viterbo explained that although the bride was aware of her fiancé's condition, their union could not be celebrated as a Christian marriage because impotence is grounds for annulment. The couple-- whose identities were not disclosed-- were married in a civil ceremony. Their pastor, having been refused permission to witness the union in a Catholic ceremony, attended the civil event.

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/features/index.cfm?recnum=58967

How enlightening, I'm glad I am not a religion. :beer:

DragonStryk72
05-31-2010, 07:08 PM
I didn't love my wife any more on my wedding day than I did the day before..

So? I feel bad for you, but uh... you're one person.

darin
05-31-2010, 08:02 PM
So? I feel bad for you, but uh... you're one person.

...and most people fool themselves. (shrug). They never baseline their love - thus it's impossible to measure increased amounts of something that cannot be metered.

gabosaurus
05-31-2010, 08:39 PM
I married my husband because I loved him and wanted to spend the rest of my life with him. I believe in the traditional bonds of marriage.
I certainly didn't marry my husband for the reason of having sex. Anyone can have sex. I am guessing the overwhelming majority of you didn't wait for marriage.
Because of severe back problems, my husband is lucky to get around. Much less have sex. I still love him. He is a wonderful partner, provider and father. My daughter adores him. I wouldn't care if we never had sex again. He is mine for life.
Those of you who think love and marriage are just about sex need to learn the true meaning of love.

BoogyMan
05-31-2010, 08:43 PM
You're doing a good job of changing the topic of discussion to match your point of view.

I wrote 'graded' love - not 'types of love'.

Same thing my friend. :)

BoogyMan
05-31-2010, 08:46 PM
Of course but what do the varying Greek words for love have to do with the topic at hand?

You asked about "graded," to which I responded with a simple and entirely germane question about the types of love. When you actually do the research you will find that physical love is only one of the many types defined.

Abbey Marie
05-31-2010, 10:56 PM

Yes, he was talking about getting married. But if he is correct that sex is the only reason to get married, then it is most certainly the only reason to stay married. Or put another way, the absence of it is the one reason to move on. Hence, my question to him about moving on if the sex is no good. Or, if you prefer, "not frequent enough". It is the logical extension to his point.

Can you show me where Paul says you should get married if sex specifically distracts you?

Abbey Marie
05-31-2010, 10:59 PM

Okay, so your answer is nope, your wife isn't just there for sex. Then what is she there for? Companionship? Love? Sharing? Whatever your answers, those are the things that marriage is "for" besides sex, for you.

-Cp
05-31-2010, 11:00 PM
Okay, so your answer is nope, your wife isn't just there for sex. Then what is she there for? Companionship? Love? Sharing? Whatever your answers, those are the things that marriage is "for" besides sex, for you.

She's my wife FOR SEX - yeah - Companionship? Love? Sharing? We had all those before we were married..

Abbey Marie
05-31-2010, 11:15 PM
She's my wife FOR SEX - yeah - Companionship? Love? Sharing? We had all those before we were married..

Well, I don't know what else to say to you without sounding like I am gloating about my own marriage. We are so much more than we were the day we married. We get comments from friends about how cute we are together, We are still affectionate in public after all these years. We have a daughter who tells us she is so glad and lucky to have parents who really love each other and who stayed married. Funny thing, no one has ever said we are lucky because we have sex.

Any animal or insect can have sex. It's just not that amazing a feat. It's all the other things that separate us and elevate us above the animal kingdom. Those things that you can have on a very basic level with a friend, but not on the deep level you have with a spouse.

Have you considered that it is the combination of being best friends, with sexual intimacy, in a relationship bonded by public vows, that makes the difference?

-Cp
05-31-2010, 11:23 PM
Well, I don't know what else to say to you without sounding like I am gloating about my own marriage. We are so much more than we were the day we married. We get comments from friends about how cute we are together, We are still affectionate in public after all these years. We have a daughter who tells us she is so glad and lucky to have parents who really love each other and who stayed married. Funny thing, no one has ever said we are lucky because we have sex.

Any animal or insect can have sex. It's just not that amazing a feat. It's all the other things that separate us and elevate us above the animal kingdom. Those things that you can have on a very basic level with a friend, but not on the deep level you have with a spouse.

Have you considered that it is the combination of being best friends, with sexual intimacy, in a relationship bonded by public vows, that makes the difference?

Animals do have sex, but it doesn't create the same bond in them as it does with humans.

Again, you can have the same, undying love and other benefits of a close relationship without being married.

gabosaurus
06-01-2010, 12:40 AM
Anyone who gets married for the sole purpose of having sex deserves what is likely going to happen to them. Which is failure.
If you just want sex, go to a bar. Or a street corner. Getting married just to have sex is complete idiocy. Love is much more than sex (yes, I know some of you guys don't believe this). Marriage is the ultimate extension of love.
Sex is always available. It's as easy as opening your wallet.
Marriage is something you have to work at. There are some who would rather give up than work at it. Perhaps they are more interested in sex than marriage. Which is pretty sad.

-Cp
06-01-2010, 12:54 AM
Anyone who gets married for the sole purpose of having sex deserves what is likely going to happen to them. Which is failure.
If you just want sex, go to a bar. Or a street corner. Getting married just to have sex is complete idiocy. Love is much more than sex (yes, I know some of you guys don't believe this). Marriage is the ultimate extension of love.
Sex is always available. It's as easy as opening your wallet.
Marriage is something you have to work at. There are some who would rather give up than work at it. Perhaps they are more interested in sex than marriage. Which is pretty sad.

Sorry you missed the point, Gabby (as usual)..

The point is -for Christians, they "aren't allowed" to have sex outside of marriage. So it's my contention that ALL other aspects of the relationship between a couple can be had outside of marriage.

You can still:

Commit
Love
Adore
Cherish
Honor
Sleep with ( just don't have sex)
Kiss
Hug
Cuddle

Etc..etc.. become "best friends" etc..

SassyLady
06-01-2010, 04:31 AM
Christians: If it wasn't for sex - would there be any reason to get married?

Yes or No?

I say no.

I say yes.

How else can you be referred to as, or have the honor of, "wife" or "husband", and all the requisite "in-law" monikers? :coffee:

darin
06-01-2010, 06:32 AM
Can you show me where Paul says you should get married if sex specifically distracts you?

Counselor -

I submit 1 Corinth 7.
"1Now for the matters you wrote about: It is good for a man not to marry.[a] 2But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband. 3The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband."

"Since there is so much immorality" - Id Est "Because so many (of you) can't keep it in your pants, it's better to marry."

Clear implication as 'sex' being the problem. And marriage being the solution to the sex-problem.

More:

" 8Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. 9But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion. "

Again - clear implication as horniness being the deciding factor on if to marry or not.

<3 you, Abbey.

revelarts
06-01-2010, 12:20 PM
I guess I can stir the pot a bit more with this comment.

For years in most marriage traditions people didn't get married because they where "in love" but because their parents choose a husband or wife for them. So they could... umm ...have a family and sex. Many people grew to and still do grow to love each each other and "worked at it" just as much as romantically begun marriages but I think the family was more important than the sex in those days.
where so sex obsessed now a days , it seems to be the highest priority. But again it's a package deal.
Marriage = sex, family, life long companions.

Not sure why you want to compartmentalize the program CP.
you need to think more holistically here bawanah. It's like your saying a a persons not a human if they can't see and walk. Sure seeing and walking are important but it's not what makes a human.
"psst your getting the ladies all upset dude, your not gonna win here."

darin
06-01-2010, 01:50 PM
^^^ -Cp is asking a question. :) That's GOOD. :)

gabosaurus
06-01-2010, 09:26 PM
Sorry cp, but you don't make a point worthy of understanding. You obviously have no clue why couples get married.