PDA

View Full Version : The Indy 500

Mr. P
05-30-2010, 01:11 AM
I just heard they expect 400,000 to attend.

Would you go to an event with that many folks?
I damn sure wouldn't!! All those sweaty rednecks and wanna beeeesss!!! GROSS!

-Cp
05-30-2010, 01:31 AM
I went to the Indy500 back in 2001 - wasn't too bad.. then again, I was in a luxury suite above the finish-line.. :)

SassyLady
05-30-2010, 05:39 AM
I went to the Indy500 back in 2001 - wasn't too bad.. then again, I was in a luxury suite above the finish-line.. :)

Wow CP - how cool was that!! Who's suite were you in?

Never been to Indy 500, but have attended hundreds of racing events .... my ex and I owned a sprint car and we raced it for a few years. He built a racetrack in central CA and we ran with the racing crowd. I grew up with racing .... stock car, dragsters (love the sand drags), boat drags on Lake Ming (we had a Hondo flat bottom, custom paint job and named Wicked - couldn't tell you how big the motor was ... I was just the eye candy:laugh2::laugh2:).

I've met quite a few of the Indy car drivers ... back in the 80's .... Rick Mears (we went to school with the Mears brothers), the Andretti's (father and son - both are assholes), Sneva, the Unsers....because of ex's job we hobnobbed with quite a few....we were always in the pits and I have to tell you that it's exciting because of the noise and the vibration that runs through you as the cars go by, but it's better watching it on tv. Get to see the action from all points on the racetrack instead of just from your seat.

Of all the racing I've seen I love the boat drags the most. If you are standing on the boat ramp when they start the engine your chest is vibrating from all the power, and then when they rev it or just give the accelerator a quick jab.....and then when the race happens and the boats race past you can feel the vibration in your ears ... tickling ... and it's only for a couple of seconds but talk about feeling alive!!!! What a rush!

I quit watching from the pits during the years ex was racing because a corner flagman was killed as one of the sprint cars came spinning out of control after a wreck and ran over him. Which is why I was in the grandstand the night my ex cartwheeled over the fence in the sprint car and landed in the parking lot. What a night that was. :eek:

Current husband (who does not race by the way) and I have been in the pits at a few NASCAR events ... met Biffle, Earnhardt, Johnson, Gordon (all the guys sponsored by the National Guard except for Mears....and he's the one I wanted to meet because I knew his dad and uncle....oh well).

Anyway.... I definitely love racing and have lots of stories about it!!!

SassyLady
05-30-2010, 05:41 AM
I just heard they expect 400,000 to attend.

Would you go to an event with that many folks?
I damn sure wouldn't!! All those sweaty rednecks and wanna beeeesss!!! GROSS!

Yes I'm a redneck and I do get sweaty at times, but definitely not a wanna be .... actually owned a race car, but I never got to drive it!!! I was just a little tiny thing with no muscles and racing sprint cars is a full contact sport.

The worst part about attending with that many people is getting out of the parking lot after the event! So, here's what we do until the majority have left ......:cheers2: