PDA

View Full Version : Oath Keepers want sheriffs back as top cop

LiberalNation
05-31-2010, 09:10 AM
Feds outrank state police and definitly county sheriffs.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100531/ap_on_re_us/us_oath_keepers

HELENA, Mont. – For Rex Nichols, the right person to guard against unrestrained federal power encroaching on the rural northwestern Montana county he calls home is a figure straight out of the old West — the aggressive, no-nonsense sheriff.

The retired police officer and investment adviser intends to make that a reality, joining at least a dozen candidates in other states running for office on an intepretation of the Constitution they say means the sheriff is the highest law enforcer in the land, even above federal agents.

"Frankly if he wants to, the sheriff can probably do more for the Constitution and protecting the people than anyone else," Nichols said.

The candidates are part of a loosely organized nationwide movement called the Oath Keepers, which is enlisting law enforcement and military personnel to vow to refuse 10 orders they say are unconstitutional, from confiscating guns to warrantless searches.

DragonStryk72
05-31-2010, 07:23 PM
Actually, I agree with them. The federal was never meant to possess so many powers over the states, and the least they could do is have to answer to the state that they are operating within. A lot of times, feds tend to 'big dick' state law enforcement almost entirely out of the way, and that very seriously needs to stop. Giving the sheriffs some real teeth hurts no one.

revelarts
05-31-2010, 10:41 PM
Feds supposedly on have jusisdition over federal lands.
If I remeber right i believe the FBI , when it was formed, had to go to each state and get written permission to allow their men to enforce federal laws there.