PDA

View Full Version : Religious fanatic terror plot foiled.

Samantha
04-26-2007, 09:52 PM
Police in Austin uncovered a fanatical religious terror plot to kill innocent civilians with an explosive device, the device was discovered before the extremists could detonate it.

(CNN) -- An explosive device "which could have caused substantial harm" was found Wednesday in the parking lot of an Austin, Texas, women's clinic where abortions are performed, authorities said.

"It was configured in such a way as to cause serious bodily injury or death," Austin Police Assistant Chief David Carter told reporters Thursday.

An employee reported the suspicious device at the Austin Women's Health Center, and Austin police responded at about 2:15 p.m. The employee also notified the FBI and the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, as per clinic protocol, police said.

Southbound lanes of nearby Interstate 35 were closed as bomb technicians detonated the device, and the clinic, an insurance agency and an apartment building behind the clinic were evacuated.

"[Officials] came in banging on the doors, telling us to get out. I got home from work early today and said, 'Are you serious?' and they starting taping off the area," one resident told News 8 Austin.

After the detonation, "closer examination of the package revealed an unknown powdery substance in the device," police said. Field analysis showed the substance was an explosive powder, but not a biological hazard, authorities said.

Austin police spokesman Kevin Buchman said there are no reports thus far of anyone suspicious in the vicinity at the time the package was found, but said authorities were canvassing the area for potential witnesses.

The clinic does have cameras in its parking lot. Asked whether that might aid police in their investigation, Carter said, "Time will tell."

Carter said the device was in a "carry-all type bag", but Austin police and the FBI would not provide more details on the device and its makeup. The Joint Terrorism Task Force was investigating, Carter said. Authorities were also making contact with other clinics in the city.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/04/26/clinic.bomb/

manu1959
04-26-2007, 09:58 PM
Police in Austin uncovered a fanatical religious terror plot to kill innocent civilians with an explosive device, the device was discovered before the extremists could detonate it

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/US/04/26/clinic.bomb/

sory read your post twice.....missed that part where religous fanatics were the guilty ones....in fact there are no reports thus far of anyone suspicious in the vicinity ....

LiberalNation
04-26-2007, 10:01 PM
Abortion clinic, bomb. Who'd think it was religious fantitics nah, never.

manu1959
04-26-2007, 10:03 PM

i guess the same people that murder abortion doctors so they can't murder the unborn

Samantha
04-26-2007, 10:06 PM
i guess the same people that murder abortion doctors so they can murder the unbornIs there a typo in there? It doesn't make any sense.

Do you know of anyone else who bombs women's clinics other than fanatical religious terrorists?

manu1959
04-26-2007, 10:08 PM
Is there a typo in there? It doesn't make any sense.

Do you know of anyone else who bombs women's clinics other than fanatical religious terrorists?

fixed my typo....

Yurt
04-26-2007, 10:14 PM

So only the "religious" oppose abortion?

manu1959
04-26-2007, 10:15 PM
So only the "religious" oppose abortion?

of course not.....but only fanatics kill over it....ironic isn't it

LiberalNation
04-26-2007, 10:15 PM
Mostly. Not always but religious fanatics are known for attacking abortion clinics. Never seen a crime like that commited by an athiest fanatic who can't stand abortion.

Abbey Marie
04-26-2007, 10:31 PM
Wow. How on earth did I know when I read the thread title that this would be trying to imply Christians were the fanatics. Way too predictable.

Yurt
04-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Mostly. Not always but religious fanatics are known for attacking abortion clinics. Never seen a crime like that commited by an athiest fanatic who can't stand abortion.

Can I hold you by that standard?

manu1959
04-26-2007, 10:35 PM
Wow. How on earth did I know when I read the thread title that this would be trying to imply Christians were the fanatics. Way too predictable.

by their own admission they claim to be "chritian"....if they really were they would not be killing people.....

Sitarro
04-26-2007, 10:55 PM
So are you kids suggesting Islamic extremist? They are the one with a solid track record of blowing things up, right?

Then again, with that ridiculous debate happening today with token clowns on stage saying nothing, I would imagine they need whatever help they can get, the American public can't possibly be ignorant enough to be impressed with that group of mental lightweights. Austin being what it is, a haven for the most liberal idiots in the center of the U. S. including a huge group of California nutcases, I would not doubt for a second that weak ass explosive was planted by some left wing extremist knowing that it would be blamed on Christian extremist and there fore the Republicans.....why wouldn't they?

These imbeciles from the left wing are more than capable of this type of garbage, go spend a few minutes at DU if you don't believe it.:cool:

Abbey Marie
04-26-2007, 10:58 PM

The people who left this device in Austin claimed they were Christian?

gabosaurus
04-26-2007, 11:08 PM
Alleged Christians who protest killings with other killings. Interesting. Sick as well. Sounds like terrorism.

manu1959
04-26-2007, 11:12 PM
Alleged Christians who protest killings with other killings. Interesting. Sick as well. Sounds like terrorism.

no worse than killing the unborn......in ther eyes....actually in their eyes the unborn hold promise....abortionists hold no promise

04-26-2007, 11:17 PM

except the article doesnt back your theory. In fact, there is no statement of who did this.

And we can tell by the fact that this is actually news that it's infrequent. Otherwise we would be hearing stories all the time.

But then arent you guys the same ones that say that we shouldnt assume that muslim extremists arent behind terrorist attacks? That we are just bigots for doing so?

Samantha
04-27-2007, 12:37 AM
Wow. How on earth did I know when I read the thread title that this would be trying to imply Christians were the fanatics. Way too predictable.I thought you would think it was about Muslims.

So are you kids suggesting Islamic extremist? They are the one with a solid track record of blowing things up, right?

Then again, with that ridiculous debate happening today with token clowns on stage saying nothing, I would imagine they need whatever help they can get, the American public can't possibly be ignorant enough to be impressed with that group of mental lightweights. Austin being what it is, a haven for the most liberal idiots in the center of the U. S. including a huge group of California nutcases, I would not doubt for a second that weak ass explosive was planted by some left wing extremist knowing that it would be blamed on Christian extremist and there fore the Republicans.....why wouldn't they?

These imbeciles from the left wing are more than capable of this type of garbage, go spend a few minutes at DU if you don't believe it.:cool:Wow you must go crazy with the conspiracy theories! :lol:

The people who left this device in Austin claimed they were Christian?Are you talking to yourself?

Alleged Christians who protest killings with other killings. Interesting. Sick as well. Sounds like terrorism.It is terrorism.

04-27-2007, 12:54 AM
It is terrorism.

So invading a womb and killing the fetus if we follow your guys definitions.

diuretic
04-27-2007, 05:13 AM
So invading a womb and killing the fetus if we follow your guys definitions.

Sorry you'll have to explain that one a bit better. I don't get the conceptual similarity between abortion, a medical procedure and terrorism which is a political concept.

04-27-2007, 05:31 AM
Sorry you'll have to explain that one a bit better. I don't get the conceptual similarity between abortion, a medical procedure and terrorism which is a political concept.

Well, you see, alot of liberals I've seen equate any sort of killing with terrorism. This way they can claim that the President or the nation of Israel are terrorists, which is a bunch of bull crap to any practical definition of the word.

However, if all killing/murder were acts of terrorism, then abortion clearly falls into that category. I mean can you think of anything more fear provoking than being murdered in the womb?

diuretic
04-27-2007, 07:12 AM
Well, you see, alot of liberals I've seen equate any sort of killing with terrorism. This way they can claim that the President or the nation of Israel are terrorists, which is a bunch of bull crap to any practical definition of the word.

However, if all killing/murder were acts of terrorism, then abortion clearly falls into that category. I mean can you think of anything more fear provoking than being murdered in the womb?

Yes I'm with you on the terrorist definition. I've seen it used and frankly it's a useless argument. For me "terrorism" is marked out particularly by attacks on non-combatants for no strategic or tactical military reason, just to sew fear into the hearts and minds of the civilian population. And it has to be done outside the ordinary course of war. For example, it has been put to me more than once that the firebombing of Dresden by Bomber Harris of the RAF was just terrorism. Of course it wasn't. As Harris himself said, the Germans bombed England, what did they think, that no-one would bomb back? Mind you, young Bomber was a bit of a lad when it came to raining destruction down on civilians, in Mesopotamia (ironically) he defended his - well the RAF's really - bombing of civilians (the Brits were fighting Arab tribes who wanted the Brits out of Mesopotamia - again irony upon irony), "the only thing the Arab understands is the heavy hand". Good old Bomber, jeez I miss him.

So no, if the state's doing it, it's not terrorism. Killing isn't terrorism, the killing has to be seen in context. I mean the state executing someone isn't terrorism. True the person being executed might be feeling pretty terrorised but it isn't terrorism. I just wish people would be more careful with their definitions and not race off screaming patently stupid things. Oh the IDF are terrorists! Bullshit they are, they're fighting on a daily basis and I don't recall too many suicide bombers wearing yarmulkahs wandering into the Gaza Strip to blow themselves up in a cafe. Complete crap.

And terrorism of course can't be equated to abortion, which is a medical procedure.

Nienna
04-27-2007, 07:43 AM

The ones alleging that these criminals were Christians are not the criminals themselves... and if they WERE, mainstream Christians would be quick to denounce that behavior, unlike Islam.

glockmail
04-27-2007, 08:03 AM
Alleged Christians who protest killings with other killings. Interesting. Sick as well. Sounds like terrorism. Who are the popular Christian religious leaders calling for more attacks on these infadel baby killers? Do they have bad teeth and wear black rags on their heads? :poke:

Nukeman
04-27-2007, 08:47 AM
Alleged muslims who protest killings with other killings. Interesting. Sick as well. Sounds like terrorism.
Here let me fix this for you lets replace Christians with Muslims....

darin
04-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Holy Cow - the Libs in this thread are MINDLESS Borg-type creatures who rally around their own in the face of GLARING lies.

Samantha - your title here is exactly what's wrong the the Liberal Mass Media. You didn't report any FACTS - you EDITORIALIZED the story; injected YOUR OPINION/SPECULATION in with the facts.

(shrug)

diuretic
04-27-2007, 11:11 AM
Holy Cow - the Libs in this thread are MINDLESS Borg-type creatures who rally around their own in the face of GLARING lies.

What brings you to that conclusion?

darin
04-27-2007, 11:13 AM
What brings you to that conclusion?

The talking-points tone; the Rallying-around-each other in a masturbatory circle of :bs:

diuretic
04-27-2007, 11:23 AM
The talking-points tone; the Rallying-around-each other in a masturbatory circle of :bs:

Hmmm I know what you mean, I hate that. It's like someone gets a briefing from HQ and the talking points memo is issued and then, before you know where you are, why it's Circle Jerk Time!

Of course the right doesn't do it - :lol: :beer:

darin
04-27-2007, 11:44 AM
What we have in this thread is one OBVIOUSLY biased, angry, Christophobe who ADDED aspects to the story, and her minions rallying to her aide in the face of CLEAR evidence she's making shit up to implicate a certain religious group.

diuretic
04-27-2007, 11:53 AM
What we have in this thread is one OBVIOUSLY biased, angry, Christophobe who ADDED aspects to the story, and her minions rallying to her aide in the face of CLEAR evidence she's making shit up to implicate a certain religious group.

Really?

Oh.

How do you work that out?

darin
04-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Really?

Oh.

How do you work that out?

Read the tread. That's what happened in this thread.

Samantha
04-27-2007, 04:09 PM
So invading a womb and killing the fetus if we follow your guys definitions.I didn't see anyone define terrorism in this thread but my definition is "an act that makes people terrified for their lives." Do you fear for your life when a woman has an abortion?

Samantha - your title here is exactly what's wrong the the Liberal Mass Media. You didn't report any FACTS - you EDITORIALIZED the story; injected YOUR OPINION/SPECULATION in with the facts.

(shrug)Religious fanatic terror plot foiled.

What's opinion and speculation about that? What other group besides religious fanatics have ever bombed abortion clinics?

What we have in this thread is one OBVIOUSLY biased, angry, Christophobe who ADDED aspects to the story, and her minions rallying to her aide in the face of CLEAR evidence she's making shit up to implicate a certain religious group.Are you calling me a liar?

Abbey Marie
04-27-2007, 05:08 PM

Alleged by you, anyway.

manu1959
04-27-2007, 05:12 PM

as oppossed to those that want to kill the unborn and the old and infirm......but not convicted murders.....like that kind of terrorism?

Abbey Marie
04-27-2007, 05:29 PM
as oppossed to those that want to kill the unborn and the old and infirm......but not convicted murders.....like that kind of terrorism?

Sweet logic! :clap:

Yurt
04-27-2007, 06:38 PM

Come on LN, answer the question.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=47469&postcount=11

I am interested in your standards. If you are too afraid to give them, just PM me, so I know. But don't ignore such a question, it is rude. Which, you arent', right?

darin
04-27-2007, 07:05 PM
Are you calling me a liar?

Yes. You are a liar. You created part of the story which didn't otherwise exist and are demanding we accept it as truth.

diuretic
04-27-2007, 07:15 PM
Read the tread. That's what happened in this thread.

I read the thread, that's why I asked you how you came to that conclusion.

Kathianne
04-27-2007, 07:20 PM
Come on LN, answer the question.

http://www.debatepolicy.com/showpost.php?p=47469&postcount=11

I am interested in your standards. If you are too afraid to give them, just PM me, so I know. But don't ignore such a question, it is rude. Which, you arent', right?

and it's a very good question, I'm looking for the answer...

Gaffer
04-27-2007, 07:45 PM
I read the thread, that's why I asked you how you came to that conclusion.

He came to the conclusion the same way I did. She took a story that gave no information on who the bomber/s might have been or why they left the bomb there and made the assumption it was right wing christians. It could have been muslims, hindus, leftwing moonbats or one armed paper hangers. Could have been al queda operatives trying to start a sectarian war in the US. She stated a fact based on no evidence, like she always does.

Kathianne
04-27-2007, 07:55 PM
He came to the conclusion the same way I did. She took a story that gave no information on who the bomber/s might have been or why they left the bomb there and made the assumption it was right wing christians. It could have been muslims, hindus, leftwing moonbats or one armed paper hangers. Could have been al queda operatives trying to start a sectarian war in the US. She stated a fact based on no evidence, like she always does.

Right. Her/His assumption even if correct, would lead to mainstream religions of any Christian sect, saying always wrong to harm. Case closed. Where does this differ from Islam and commentary?

diuretic
04-27-2007, 07:56 PM

One of the first things a young lawyer learns is not to overdo the cross-examination. It's always possible to over-cook the case by pressing just a bit too hard. Cross-examination in front of a jury is all about inference. You have to get the jury thinking and the more you open up pockets of doubt in the mind of the jury. It's not like you see on tv, the triumphant swoop of the killer question, it's more a quiet, methodical, purposeful plodding, more Johnny Appleseed than Attila the Hun.

You overdid your case.

Firstly, Samantha speculated. If you were going to call her out that's where you should have gone.
Secondly, you blew it when you wrote, "like she always does."

A sweeping generalisation. "Like she always does." She does? Always? So if there's an example of her not "always" doing it then that would prove you wrong wouldn't it? See what I mean?

Now the focus on this part of the thread is on your credibility. You've made a claim, now show the evidence for it.

Or not, your choice. It doesn't matter to me either way.

diuretic
04-27-2007, 08:01 PM
Right. Her/His assumption even if correct, would lead to mainstream religions of any Christian sect, saying always wrong to harm. Case closed. Where does this differ from Islam and commentary?

I like to think that like any other grouping, there will be a tiny minority of nutters making life miserable for the moderate members of the grouping. It's human nature. The normative curve at work.

Kathianne
04-27-2007, 08:04 PM
I like to think that like any other grouping, there will be a tiny minority of nutters making life miserable for the moderate members of the grouping. It's human nature. The normative curve at work.

But as a card carrying liberal, you would 'out the norm' (Christians)in this country, while defending the 'outs', (Islam).

diuretic
04-27-2007, 08:08 PM
But as a card carrying liberal, you would 'out the norm' (Christians)in this country, while defending the 'outs', (Islam).

I'm not a card-carrying anything Kathianne, true I used to be but I got sick of being told what to think, what to say and how to vote inside the party so I left. Hah, left. Oh well it was funny in my mind anyway :laugh2:

What makes you think I'd do what you allege?

Sitarro
04-29-2007, 12:10 AM
I'm not a card-carrying anything Kathianne, true I used to be but I got sick of being told what to think, what to say and how to vote inside the party so I left. Hah, left. Oh well it was funny in my mind anyway :laugh2:

What makes you think I'd do what you allege?

I would imagine you are constantly making yourself laugh at your mind, eh diuretic?

diuretic
04-29-2007, 12:12 AM
I would imagine you are constantly making yourself laugh at your mind, eh diuretic?

Occasionally I laugh at myself. Of course plenty of other people beat me to it on a regular basis.

Samantha
04-30-2007, 01:26 AM
The threat is over, the terrorist has been caught.

AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - A 27-year-old Austin man was arrested on Friday and charged with placing an unexploded bomb containing some 2,000 nails outside an abortion clinic in the state's capital.

The explosive device also included a propane tank and a mechanism "akin to a rocket," Austin Police Commander David Carter said.

The device was discovered on Wednesday in the parking lot of the Austin Women's Health Center, police said.

The Texas Joint Terrorism Task Force -- made up of federal, state and local law enforcement authorities -- arrested Paul Ross Evans, who authorities said was on parole for an unspecified crime.

Evans was charged with violating federal laws banning the manufacture of explosives and interfering with access to an abortion clinic. He appeared before a federal magistrate, and was being held without bail.

No further arrests were anticipated in the case. "The threat is over," Carter said.Man arrested for bomb at Texas abortion clinic | U.S. | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN2719258620070428)

By the way, this is how you deal with terrorists. You hunt them down with good police work and arrest them. You don't invade countries that have nothing to do with the terrorist. That would be like declaring war on Canada because this terrorist freak tried to bomb this women's clinic.

diuretic
04-30-2007, 01:57 AM
That was very good police work, heck they didn't sit on their hands. Well done to them (acknowledging of course the presumption of innocence).

5stringJeff
05-01-2007, 12:01 PM
By the way, this is how you deal with terrorists. You hunt them down with good police work and arrest them.

Wrong. The way you deal with terrorists - of any stripe - is to hunt them down and kill them before they can kill innocents. Do you really think OBL, Zarqawi, etc. etc. would just let themselves be arrested? FO course not - they'd use overwhelming firepower to kill the police force, because they are terrorists at war.

05-01-2007, 01:27 PM

Man arrested for bomb at Texas abortion clinic | U.S. | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN2719258620070428)

By the way, this is how you deal with terrorists. You hunt them down with good police work and arrest them. You don't invade countries that have nothing to do with the terrorist. That would be like declaring war on Canada because this terrorist freak tried to bomb this women's clinic.

And how do you propose we do this when terrorists hide in regimes that suppose them? If you are trying to drain a resevoir do you start scooping out the water or do you go block the inflow of water to cut off any additional source.

Gaffer
05-01-2007, 05:51 PM

Man arrested for bomb at Texas abortion clinic | U.S. | Reuters (http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN2719258620070428)

Hmmm a common criminal. Who'da thunk it. Not one mention of a fundimentalist of any kind.

what police department do you want to send after obl?