PDA

View Full Version : Peta Calls On Ap Stylebook Gurus To Stop Calling Animals 'it'

stephanie
04-27-2007, 02:47 AM
:dunno:
For Immediate Release:
April 26, 2007

Michael McGraw 757-622-7382

Norfolk, Va. -- This afternoon, PETA dispatched a letter to Norm Goldstein, editor of The Associated Press Stylebook, suggesting that it is time to revise the book’s language guidelines—which currently characterize animals as inanimate objects—and bring the references in line with 21st century attitudes. Specifically, PETA points out that using "it" and "which" instead of the personal pronouns "he," "she," and "who" in reference to animals is inaccurate and outdated—particularly in a society that is increasingly recognizing that animals have inherent rights, legal standing, and individuality.

PETA’s letter to Norm Goldstein follows.

April 26, 2007

Norm Goldstein, Editor
The Associated Press
450 W. 33rd St.
New York, NY 10001

Dear Mr. Goldstein:

On behalf of PETA’s more than 1.6 million members and supporters worldwide, I am writing to request that you revise The Associated Press Stylebook so that its grammatical rules reflect the fact that animals are living beings rather than inanimate objects. In magazine articles, popular literature, and advertising, writers are using "he," "she," and "who" to refer to animals—instead of the outdated and inaccurate "it" and "which." Won’t you consider making this transition as well?

As "the essential global news network," the Associated Press (AP) should take a progressive step and give animals the respect that they deserve by revising AP style guidelines to reflect the usage of personal pronouns for all animals.

While the world accelerates through the 21st century, progressive ideas are challenging and changing conventional perspectives. Recently, the American legal system recognized that nonhuman animals deserve legal status beyond that of mere "property" and that abusive treatment of animals is more than simple vandalism.

The public now recognizes that whales, who sing across oceans; great apes, who share more than 98 percent of our DNA; sheep, who can recognize as many as 50 faces after not having seen them for two years; and pigs and chickens, who can learn to operate switches in order to control heat and light in factory-farm sheds, are feeling, intelligent individuals—not objects. Our language should reflect this.

I would greatly appreciate hearing your decision on this matter. Enclosed are PETA’s Writing Style and Guidelines, which explain how to avoid language that portrays animals in a negative light.

Thank you very much for your time.

Sincerely,

Anna West
Director of Written Communications
http://www.peta.org/mc/NewsItem.asp?id=9753

darin
04-27-2007, 09:00 AM
Anna West should be forbidden to procreate.

diuretic
04-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Anna West should be forbidden to procreate.

Is eugenics legal again in the US?

darin
04-27-2007, 11:14 AM
Is eugenics legal again in the US?

From the Movie Holes:

...if only, if ONLLLY!!!"

diuretic
04-27-2007, 11:20 AM
From the Movie Holes:

Originally Posted by Madam Zerone
...if only, if ONLLLY!!!"

:lol: :lmao:

Little-Acorn
04-27-2007, 11:42 AM
I have no interest in whether AP should start calling animals "he" or "she".

However, given the relevance and importance of the subject, it does seem appropriate to refer hereafter to the originator of the letter, Anna West, as "it".

diuretic
04-27-2007, 11:55 AM
I have no interest in whether AP should start calling animals "he" or "she".

However, given the relevance and importance of the subject, it does seem appropriate to refer hereafter to the originator of the letter, Anna West, as "it".

She has her ovaries yes? She's a she then, isn't she?

Little-Acorn
04-27-2007, 12:19 PM

You didn't by any chance ghost-write that letter, did you?

Trigg
04-27-2007, 01:52 PM
I would greatly appreciate hearing your decision on this matter. Enclosed are PETA’s Writing Style and Guidelines, which explain how to avoid language that portrays animals in a negative light.

:rolleyes: :cuckoo:

diuretic
04-27-2007, 07:49 PM
You didn't by any chance ghost-write that letter, did you?

No, why do you ask?

KitchenKitten99
04-27-2007, 09:40 PM
I wish I had that much time on my hands to worry about what a writer is referring to an animal by...

Nuc
04-27-2007, 09:47 PM
As the Chinese say-"America, where the animals are treated like children and the children are treated like animals."

manu1959
04-27-2007, 09:49 PM
china....where the children are treated like slaves and the pets served au jus....

Hobbit
04-28-2007, 12:01 AM

Maybe, but 'she,' and I use the term very loosely, must also have balls the size of grapefruits to think she can get away with this crap.

diuretic
04-28-2007, 12:22 AM
Maybe, but 'she,' and I use the term very loosely, must also have balls the size of grapefruits to think she can get away with this crap.

And that means what in the context of this discussion?

Hobbit
04-28-2007, 12:35 AM
And that means what in the context of this discussion?

If 'she' is also a 'he,' can we just call 'her' an 'it,' as was originally suggested?

diuretic
04-28-2007, 12:42 AM
If 'she' is also a 'he,' can we just call 'her' an 'it,' as was originally suggested?

I think you have a case of gender confusion :lol:

Hobbit
04-28-2007, 01:12 AM
I think you have a case of gender confusion :lol:

Nah, I just don't know of a hemaphroditic pronoun, so I must go with the asexual 'it.'

diuretic
04-28-2007, 02:09 AM
Nah, I just don't know of a hemaphroditic pronoun, so I must go with the asexual 'it.'

It's okay you can say "she" when you're speaking about a female or :"he" when it's a male and you can use "it" for a neuter, I think that's perfectly reasonable.

Little-Acorn
04-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Wow.

Last week I tossed in an offhand joke about referring to the silly PETA person as "it".

A dozen posts later, people are still discussing my "suggestion". And the scary part is, at least some of them are serious!

Only in America.... :D :D

diuretic
04-30-2007, 04:54 PM
Wow.

Last week I tossed in an offhand joke about referring to the silly PETA person as "it".

A dozen posts later, people are still discussing my "suggestion". And the scary part is, at least some of them are serious!

Only in America.... :D :D

Goes to prove we'll argue about ANYTHING :laugh2:

typomaniac
04-30-2007, 04:58 PM
Considering that every member of (nearly) every species is either male or female, it makes perfect sense to use "he" and "she" to refer to individual animals.

diuretic
04-30-2007, 05:20 PM
Considering that every member of (nearly) every species is either male or female, it makes perfect sense to use "he" and "she" to refer to individual animals.

Why? (don't get wound up, see my previous post :laugh2: )

typomaniac
04-30-2007, 05:24 PM
Why? (don't get wound up, see my previous post :laugh2: )I don't get wound up about such things; I just notice them by reflex. Writing and editing happen to be a big part of my job, that's all.

As for your previous post, I haven't really seen any "argument" here besides bashing of the woman from PETA who wrote the letter to begin with. But yes, as you've seen there are plenty of morons around here who will bash anyone who says anything that doesn't glorify Karl Rove's ideology. :rolleyes: