PDA

View Full Version : No I Won't Pray For You - by Mike M

-Cp
06-04-2010, 01:39 PM
A lot of you may not like this I'll tell you that right off the bat. But hear me out....

Someone asked me to pray for them today and I said, "I don't pray for people... sorry." I'm sure it was like a splash of cold water to their face. I then said, "God will take care of you because He is a good God, not because I pray."

People immediately bring up that verse in James that says, "You have not because you ask not." Really? Think about that... We don't get anything from God unless we specifically ask for it? Wow! My heart wont keep beating unless I ask for Him to keep it beating? That's crazy!

Prayer has become a way Christians show each other moral support. And we all need moral support... it's essential. We all need compassion and understanding. We need affirmation. But why do we mix prayer together with those things? I happen to believe it's entirely possible to show someone all of those things without saying a prayer for them. I personally don't even find the idea of "prayer requests" in scripture.

I have two beautiful kids who I love more than I love myself. What if I was a snit like some think God is and said to them, "You have not because you ask not." My daughter would come into the kitchen and ask things like, "Daddy, can I eat today? Daddy, will you let me sleep in a bed tonight? Daddy, will I have to go naked today, or will you clothe me?" That would make for one insecure child! And that's what the prevalent misconceptions of prayer have done to believers. They are extremely insecure in their Father's love.

Is your loved one sick? God's got it under control. Are you unsure about a decision? God will give you both wisdom and experience from your bad choices. Prayer doesn't change God's mind... it changes ours. I can't make God change His mind about healing my loved one if He sees it best that they die. We all gotta die folks! When my dad was dying of cancer, I knew he would die. You don't smoke for 35 years and expect God to swoop in and cleanse a body you've trashed most of your life. So I prayed, "God, my dad is about to die. Prepare my heart for that. I need assurance that I'm gonna be OK when he's gone. I need your help to show him as much love as I can before he goes to be with you." My mom... she wasn't praying like that. She was so sure God was going to magically undo 35 years of smoking that she wasn't living those last days with him as though they were their last together. And because she had her head in the sand, I think his death was more of a shock to her than it could have been if she prayed differently.

My sister was pregnant with her first child when my dad was dying. At that same time mom made plans to get my dad out of the hospital so she could take him to a Benny Hinn healing crusade. Wouldn't you know it that my sister went into labor the night of the crusade. My mother was angry! She said that Satan was doing this to stop my dad from getting to the healing crusade. I said, "Mom, will you listen to yourself... you're attributing the birth of your grandchild to Satan." She yelled, "That's not exactly what I said... you're twisting it!" I said, "Am I?" I spent 20min on the phone with her to get her to realize it was best to leave dad in the capable hands of the hospital and go be with her daughter for her first birth.

I honestly believe that the people who pray the most are actually the ones who trust God the least. The more I walk with God, the more I know He's got my back. He's done so much more for me than I could ever ask or think that I know He's on top of every situation of my life before it even arises. He's a good God... He's not a snit who sits on His hands until we ask Him to act. He's all-wise and all-knowing, and He wants to bless us more than we know how to ask.

So no, I won't pray for you because I know the God we serve. I know He's already on top of your situation. And when He works on your behalf I will celebrate with you. And until then you have my shoulder to cry on. Why is it we acknowledge these truths with our lips but in practice we act like if we don't pray that all hell's gonna break loose? Please don't think I'm being rude if I say I won't pray for you... it's just that I know how good God is... that's all

LiberalNation
06-04-2010, 02:01 PM
you coulda just been a nice guy and said sure. people think your a dick doing stuff like that.

darin
06-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Agreed. It's like...sort of...when a Jew wishes me Happy Hanukkah - I don't explain to them how I don't celebrate...I just thank them and move on.

However - the point of the article makes sense; and it's not calling to 'cease communication' with God...just to understand God isn't a dick.

SassyLady
06-04-2010, 05:02 PM
When I pray it's not a prayer of asking....it's a prayer of thankfulness. I don't say "please, God, take care of my family". I say "thank you God for taking care of my family" because I already know that God is, as you say, "on top of the situation". So, when someone asks me to pray for them I say "Sure, you will be in my thoughts" as I say "thank you God for helping this family".

Abbey Marie
06-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Illogical examples. Why would the daughter have to ask her father for food that he already has bought to feed her and presumably had in the fridge?
Now if you had said, why should she ask her daddy for a pony, well, that's possibly analogous. I don't pray to God to give me things I already have, or that I can get for myself. In my experience, most people don't. They ask mainly to avoid things they fear.

So, where do you stand on these verses in Matthew 18?:

19 “Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven.

20 For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”

-Cp
06-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Illogical examples. Why would the daughter have to ask her father for food that he already has bought to feed her and presumably had in the fridge?
Now if you had said, why should she ask her daddy for a pony, well, that's possibly analogous. I don't pray to God to give me things I already have, or that I can get for myself. In my experience, most people don't. They ask mainly to avoid things they fear.

So, where do you stand on these verses in Matthew 18?:

19 “Again I say to you that if two of you agree on earth concerning anything that they ask, it will be done for them by My Father in heaven.

20 For where two or three are gathered together in My name, I am there in the midst of them.”

I think those two verses are highly misquoted to meet an agenda. If they were literal, I would've been a multi-millionaire by now or would have walked on water.

chloe
06-04-2010, 09:06 PM
I think prayer brings you into harmony with God especially when you are stuck in fear. It can also be comforting for another person who is so stuck in there own troubles or fear they are unable to feel that harmony maybe praying with them brings them into the receptivity of God. At least that is how it has felt for me at times when I had experiences with loving people who prayed for me or with me.

06-04-2010, 09:21 PM
I think of it more as asking God for a cookie. He will give it to us if we ask, but they aren't just there to take.

But then im thinking on that is simplistic right now.