PDA

View Full Version : Is the world raising a generation of wussies?

SassyLady
06-04-2010, 05:41 PM
I put this here because I believe we are crippling our children with this type of "there are no losers" in life culture....so it's a mental health issue.

Canadian Youth Soccer League: Winning by More Than Five Counts as a Loss

Published June 04, 2010

A Canadian youth soccer league is taking heat after introducing a new rule that says any team that wins a game by more than five points will actually lose by default.

The rule, intended to foster sportsmanship, replaced the Gloucester Dragons Recreational Soccer league’s former five-point mercy regulation, which said any points scored beyond a five-point differential would not be registered, the National Post reported.

But some players and parents say the new rule will only keep these children from reaching their full potential as players and coddle sore losers.

“They should be saying anything is possible. If we can get five goals really fast, well, so can the other team,” player Kevin Cappon, 17, told the Post. "People grow in adversity… I think you’ll see more leadership skills being used if a losing team tries to recuperate than if they never got into that situation at all.”
Coppon’s father, Bruce Cappon, agreed.

“Heaven forbid when these kids get into the real world. They won’t be prepared to deal with the competition out there,” he told the Post.

The league has 3,000 children ranging from four to 18 years old.

According to the new rules, coaches are encouraged to take measures like making players kick with their weaker foot, moving players out of their usual positions, or taking players off the field entirely if they have a strong team, the Post reported.

Club director Sean Cale told the Post the league is simply trying to make the game fair and that the new rule will eventually be replaced by a pre-season skill assessment to make fair teams, the Post reported.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2010/06/04/canadian-youth-soccer-league-win-points-lose-game/

My daughter yanked her son out of a private school because they started teaching at the level of the lowest performer in his class. They actually told her that if he was bored then she needed to get him a tutor to give him extra work to do....instead of telling the parent of the poor performer to get a tutor to help them keep up. What is this world coming to? :lame2:

Abbey Marie
06-04-2010, 05:45 PM
How absurd. Is this coming here next?

SassyLady
06-04-2010, 07:41 PM
How absurd. Is this coming here next?

I experienced it last fall with my granddaughter. She was on the school volleyball team .... and the rules used to be that you had to be in possession of the ball to make a point.....just getting control of the ball didn't count as a point. Well, in her league it didn't matter who was serving ... every ball served counted as a point for one side or the other. So, you could get a point whether you were serving or not .... just which ever side didn't get it back over the net gave up a point to the other.

That way it wasn't a complete runaway.....and the game moved faster.

But I believe this type of thing is prevalent everywhere now. It's almost like people don't want anyone to stand out and be better at something than everyone else .... kinda like sharing the wealth .... we now share the win, or we lose if we excel.

DragonStryk72
06-04-2010, 07:43 PM
Yeah, and we also need to stop celebrating every tiny achievement our kids ever get through. My six year old, Julia, just "graduated" from kindergarten, and no we are learning, will have a 3rd grade graduation, a 6th grade graduation, and an 8th grade graduation. There's no need for this, it's not that big an accomplishment, and just feeds into this thought that everyone has to win.

SassyLady
06-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Yeah, and we also need to stop celebrating every tiny achievement our kids ever get through. My six year old, Julia, just "graduated" from kindergarten, and no we are learning, will have a 3rd grade graduation, a 6th grade graduation, and an 8th grade graduation. There's no need for this, it's not that big an accomplishment, and just feeds into this thought that everyone has to win.

I know --- when my daughter told me that my grandson would be wearing a cap and gown for his kindergarten graduation I almost fainted! :eek:

DragonStryk72
06-04-2010, 07:56 PM
I know --- when my daughter told me that my grandson would be wearing a cap and gown for his kindergarten graduation I almost fainted! :eek:

thank god they didn't go that far here, but really, it's just getting ridiculous. What they do not look at is that these teams that are winning a lot are not getting lucky, they're achieving wins because they put in the hard work and sacrifice to achieve those victories. By robbing them of victory, we rob them of the fruits of that hard work and sacrifice, teaching to only do "well enough".

-Cp
06-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Pardon my "french" but all I can say is:

WHAT THE FUCK?!?!??!

darin
06-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Liberals are a cancer.

SassyLady
06-04-2010, 10:53 PM
Liberals are a cancer.

yeah, no matter what country they are in!!!

Did I mention that I've always been a registered Independent and my daughter was a Democrat ... for 12 years!!! My husband is Republican and boy the debates we have all gotten into!!!

She told me that if Obama won the Dem primary she was going to register Repub.....well, she didn't quite make it that far .... instead she registered Independent. Wooohooo!!! Thank you Obama. Guess this is one thing I have to thank him for. :laugh2::laugh2:

Actually, I think it's when her kids got to school age and she saw the absolute liberalism in the schools that has turned her stomach. She is contemplating home schooling.....except that she says Arizona is finally starting to "get it".

LiberalNation
06-04-2010, 11:20 PM
we had 3 graduations, elementry to middle, middle to high, and high school. I only went to the mandatory ones and skipped high school grad. Screw that, I just wanted my diploma and outa the place.

as for the soccer rules, I can see it being okay not to mention you rarely score much in soccer. No need to wipe their face in the field once it's lost. here they might end a game early if it's a total runaway.

DragonStryk72
06-05-2010, 12:39 AM
we had 3 graduations, elementry to middle, middle to high, and high school. I only went to the mandatory ones and skipped high school grad. Screw that, I just wanted my diploma and outa the place.

as for the soccer rules, I can see it being okay not to mention you rarely score much in soccer. No need to wipe their face in the field once it's lost. here they might end a game early if it's a total runaway.

but ending the game early due to a runaway at least acknowledges the other team's win. Changing the rules of the game to prevent a team from doing as well is just not fair to the people who worked so hard to earn that victory.

In baseball, a runaway win occurs when one team leads the other by ten or more runs, since you would need to do two grand slams back to back just to get back to close. Usually, they will call the game at that point, and again, that's fine, since it acknowledges the team that was just better.

Trinity
06-05-2010, 07:05 AM
but ending the game early due to a runaway at least acknowledges the other team's win. Changing the rules of the game to prevent a team from doing as well is just not fair to the people who worked so hard to earn that victory.

In baseball, a runaway win occurs when one team leads the other by ten or more runs, since you would need to do two grand slams back to back just to get back to close. Usually, they will call the game at that point, and again, that's fine, since it acknowledges the team that was just better.

We had that happen once in youth football both my boy's teams had games against this other small town about 4 or 5 years ago. This other town, they barely had enough players on there teams so they were allowed to bump up or down just to have enough kids on each team for each game. I know I think only one of the 5 games made it to the 3rd quarter the rest were called in the first or second quarters due to high scores for our teams, however we were all in agreement on it. You do start to feel bad for the kids on the other team when the score is 38 - 0. I think one got as high as 72 - 14.

crin63
06-05-2010, 08:44 AM
I've always told my kids that, "2nd Place" is 1st loser.

We have a cap & gown graduation at our school for the kids who pass my wife's class which is something akin to kindergarten/1st grade. For them its like finishing up basic training. It means they have mastered the fundamentals of our education system. They have learned to read, write, set their daily goals and work on their own. Even though its considered a milestone I think its still kinda silly but its a part of our curriculum. Their next graduation isn't until they graduate from High School.

My youngest son is getting his Associates Degree this month but he doesn't want to celebrate it because he said its like graduating from Jr. High. You're glad its over but it really doesn't mean much.

In volleyball that's called, "rally scoring". On the surface it may seem like a lesser way to play but it actually means that every single ball that's in play is critical. Our league switched to rally scoring a few years ago. I'm so glad they did. We play the best 3 out of 5 to 25 points and have to win by 2 points. We would be there for days if it wasn't for rally scoring.