PDA

View Full Version : Now *that* is what I call drunk!

Jon
04-27-2007, 06:33 AM
http://www.theolympian.com/130/story/84444.html

A Woodinville woman arrested following two car crashes last week registered a .47 blood-alcohol content on a breath test - nearly six times the legal intoxication threshold and possibly a state record.

Deana F. Jarrett, 54, was taken to Evergreen Hospital as a precaution following her arrest April 11, the Washington State Patrol said Wednesday. No one was injured in the accidents.

Jarrett blew the .47 on a portable breath tester after she collided with two other vehicles in quick succession, the patrol said. A check of all 356,000 breath tests administered since 1998 in Washington turned up only 35 above .40 - and none of those was higher than .45.

The legal intoxication threshold in Washington is .08.

Jarrett did not appear to have a listed phone number, and it was not clear if she had obtained a lawyer.

.47??? Her blood was almost 50% alcohol!

:cheers2: :beer: :alcoholic: :wine:

diuretic
04-27-2007, 06:47 AM
Her blood wasn't 47% alcohol, if it were she would be dead. She had a bac of .47%=0.47 grams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood. That's a significant amount of alcohol in anyone's language. She is an alcoholic, a serious one at that. She probably has a very high level of alcohol in her blood at any one time and can function with it, testament to her alcoholism. She sounds like she topped up somewhere.

Her file must be marked - "no liver donation".

Jon
04-27-2007, 08:00 AM
Her blood wasn't 47% alcohol, if it were she would be dead. She had a bac of .47%=0.47 grams of alcohol per 100 millilitres of blood. That's a significant amount of alcohol in anyone's language. She is an alcoholic, a serious one at that. She probably has a very high level of alcohol in her blood at any one time and can function with it, testament to her alcoholism. She sounds like she topped up somewhere.

Her file must be marked - "no liver donation".

Doh! Good call! You learn something new every day.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content

Unless a person has developed a high tolerance, a BAC rating of 0.20 represents very serious intoxication (most first-time drinkers would be passed out by about 0.15), and 0.35 represents potentially fatal alcohol poisoning. 0.40 is the accepted LD50, or lethal dose for 50% of adult humans. For a long-time, heavy drinker, those numbers can at least double. In extreme cases, individuals have survived BAC ratings as high as 0.914.

<table><th>Effects of Alcohol at Different Blood Alcohol Contents</th>
<tr><td>Number of Drinks</td> <td>Blood Alcohol Content</td> <td>Typical Effect</td></tr>
<tr><td>1</td> <td> 0.02-.03 </td> <td>Noticeable cognitive changes</td></tr>
<tr><td>5</td> <td>.10-.15</td> <td> Person obviously intoxicated, delirium</td></tr>
<tr><td>24</td> <td>.24-.36</td> <td>Loss of consciousness</td></tr>
<tr><td>36</td> <td>.48</td> <td>Severe coma possibly resulting in death</td></tr></table>

Nuc
04-27-2007, 08:04 AM
D
<tr><td>36</td> <td>.48</td> <td>Severe coma possibly resulting in death</td></tr></table>

Seems reasonable to me to drive while in this condition. But then I'm from Milwaukee, the drunkest city in America.

glockmail
04-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Don't forget that a breathelyzer is not accurate. If you gargle with mouthwash and do the test you'll peg the needle. At least that's my understanding.

darin
04-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Don't forget that a breathelyzer is not accurate. If you gargle with mouthwash and do the test you'll peg the needle. At least that's my understanding.

My portable Breathalyzer says it'll be inaccurate if you eat or drink ANYTHING 20-minutes-or-less prior to the test.

diuretic
04-27-2007, 12:02 PM
My portable Breathalyzer says it'll be inaccurate if you eat or drink ANYTHING 20-minutes-or-less prior to the test.

That's why, after the ba screening test the nice policeman asks you to come with him for a further test and you get asked a lot of questions before you get put on the really accurate one :D

glockmail
04-27-2007, 02:51 PM
That's why, after the ba screening test the nice policeman asks you to come with him for a further test and you get asked a lot of questions before you get put on the really accurate one :D That's why you keep a bottle of mouthwash in your car and swig on it as he comes up to the car, and ask him if he wants a shot. The meter then goes off the scale, and in front of the judge you bring up the mouthwash issue and toss out the results. :laugh2:

Pale Rider
04-27-2007, 03:23 PM
Seems reasonable to me to drive while in this condition. But then I'm from Milwaukee, the drunkest city in America.

I think Las Vegas holds that tittle. One in every four people on the road is legally intoxicated in Vegas.

You can drink 24/7 in a bar in Nevada. Nothing ever closes. You can't in Wisconsin.

diuretic
04-27-2007, 07:35 PM
That's why you keep a bottle of mouthwash in your car and swig on it as he comes up to the car, and ask him if he wants a shot. The meter then goes off the scale, and in front of the judge you bring up the mouthwash issue and toss out the results. :laugh2:

That's why the procedures are in place to deal with that sort of action - and to allow for the effect of alcohol in many other substances. :coffee:

Hugh Lincoln
04-29-2007, 08:28 AM
Bartender!

I'll have what she's having.

emmett
04-29-2007, 08:35 AM

Blood Alcohol over .50 = Teddieosis

shattered
04-29-2007, 08:43 AM
I think Las Vegas holds that tittle. One in every four people on the road is legally intoxicated in Vegas.

You can drink 24/7 in a bar in Nevada. Nothing ever closes. You can't in Wisconsin.

Sure you can.. Last call for "take out" is 9:00pm.. Buy your keg, dump it in your trunk, go back in to the bar til it closes at 2:00am, and head on home.

Granted, you're not IN a bar, but you can drink 24/7, and some people have bars in their basements; thus the "after bar parties".

diuretic
04-29-2007, 04:03 PM
Sure you can.. Last call for "take out" is 9:00pm.. Buy your keg, dump it in your trunk, go back in to the bar til it closes at 2:00am, and head on home.

Granted, you're not IN a bar, but you can drink 24/7, and some people have bars in their basements; thus the "after bar parties".

24/7 where I live. In the downtown area the day shift cops are attending bar fights at 0700.

shattered
04-29-2007, 04:05 PM
24/7 where I live. In the downtown area the day shift cops are attending bar fights at 0700.

In Wi, they're just finding the bodies from the night before by 7am.

diuretic
04-29-2007, 04:15 PM
In Wi, they're just finding the bodies from the night before by 7am.

And pinned on each of them is a note:

"What made Milwaukee famous, made a loser out of me...." :laugh2:

shattered
04-29-2007, 04:34 PM
And pinned on each of them is a note:

"What made Milwaukee famous, made a loser out of me...." :laugh2:

Wouldn't surprise me.. We have some f'ed up people out here...