PDA

View Full Version : BP in violation of Louisiana law - owes 500 bucks for each dead animal

SpidermanTUba
06-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Louisiana Title 56 Section 761

§761. Protection of wild animals and birds on wildlife refuges, wildlife management areas, and public hunting grounds

A. No person shall, except in accordance with commission rules and regulations, kill, snare, pursue with intent to kill, take by any means, or have in possession any wild animal or bird upon any state wildlife refuge, wildlife management area, or public hunting ground.

B. Each killing or pursuing with intent to kill, snaring, taking, or having in possession of any wild animal or bird, on a wildlife refuge, wildlife management area or public hunting ground, constitutes a separate offense.

C. This Section does not prohibit the secretary from killing or having killed any noxious animals on lands under his supervision, or from having caught or snared any wild animals or birds for the purpose of propagation, restocking, or scientific investigation.

This is a class two violation according to 56:764

Violation of the provisions of R.S. 56:761, R.S. 56:762, or R.S. 56:763 constitutes a class two violation.
, first which the fine for 3rd and subsequent offenses is $500,000

56:32

The following penalties shall be imposed for a class two violation:

(1) For the first offense, the fine shall be not less than one hundred dollars nor more than three hundred fifty dollars, or imprisonment for not more than sixty days, or both;

(2) For the second offense, the fine shall be not less than three hundred dollars, nor more than five hundred fifty dollars, and imprisonment for not less than thirty days nor more than sixty days;

(3) For the third offense and all subsequent offenses, the fine shall be not less than five hundred dollars nor more than seven hundred fifty dollars, and imprisonment for not less than sixty days nor more than ninety days, and forfeiture to the commission of anything seized in connection with the violation.

Acts 1981, No. 837, §1; Acts 1988, No. 240, §

DragonStryk72
06-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Seriously, We got it, BP will have fines to pay. Unless you've come up with a better way to get the oil up and cap the well, you're not saying anything new.

krisy
06-07-2010, 03:39 PM
I'm not saying they don't deserve it......but fines won't help those animals. Kind hearted people will. Gotta admit,the pictures are hard to look at.

Binky
06-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Not only the animals but what about the plant and aquatic life as well? And what are they going to pay those people that lost out on work? Their livlihoods are gone. And who the heck knows for how long? It could be decades if not forever. How are they suppose to support their families now. And the tourism/chartered fishing is kaput also.

Does anyone really believe they are going to be able to get all of that oil that's floating in the marshes up and out of there, much less suck up all that's in the depth of the waters? Somehow, with the vastness of this mess, I don't think they will ever be able to suck it all up. I think it is going to become one with the environment. Unless they can find a way to plug that hole it could flow out forever spreading around the world. Unless, of course, that oil pocket runs out of oil.....

Binky
06-07-2010, 04:09 PM
I'm not saying they don't deserve it......but fines won't help those animals. Kind hearted people will. Gotta admit,the pictures are hard to look at.

I find those pic's heartbreaking. All those various types of animals and fish. Covered in oil. In their eyes. In their mouths. It's a deplorable situation. Those poor creatures. And the beautiful plant life, both above and below the water. And the water itself. What an absolute heartbreaker.

DragonStryk72
06-07-2010, 07:41 PM
I find those pic's heartbreaking. All those various types of animals and fish. Covered in oil. In their eyes. In their mouths. It's a deplorable situation. Those poor creatures. And the beautiful plant life, both above and below the water. And the water itself. What an absolute heartbreaker.

It does suck, but this thread is pretty much a repeat of the prior one. BP has actually been very responsible, this is the only time I have heard negative news on them, and they are working steadily to clean it up, it's just a huge job. Beating down BP won't effect anything really, beyond which, since they are cleaning up their own mess, we should be backing them up more than we are, since most companies would be busy trying to save their own butt, so far BP is just trying to get it contained.

SpidermanTUba
06-07-2010, 07:57 PM
BP has actually been very responsible...

Spilling 10,000-25,000 barrels of oil per day into the Gulf of Mexico is not, in my opinion, best described by the word "responsible". Some might call it "irresponsible", the opposite of "responsible".

and they are working steadily to clean it up
Define "steadily"

krisy
06-07-2010, 08:35 PM
Hannity just reported that the CEO of BP said over the weekend that he has not even spoken to Barrack Obama:eek:

You gotta be kidding me!!!

SpidermanTUba
06-07-2010, 08:47 PM
Hannity just reported that the CEO of BP said over the weekend that he has not even spoken to Barrack Obama:eek:

You gotta be kidding me!!!

Tony Hayward is an idiot.

LiberalNation
06-08-2010, 12:27 AM
BP has actually been very responsible, this is the only time I have heard negative news on them, and they are working steadily to clean it up, it's just a huge job. Beating down BP won't effect anything really, beyond which, since they are cleaning up their own mess, we should be backing them up more than we are, since most companies would be busy trying to save their own butt, so far BP is just trying to get it contained.

OSHA had cited BP for 760 "egregious and willful" safety violations, and I think it was 30 people and 200 people severely injured BEFORE the recent blast.

Mr. P
06-08-2010, 01:15 AM
OSHA had cited BP for 760 "egregious and willful" safety violations, and I think it was 30 people and 200 people severely injured BEFORE the recent blast.

Not on that rig...

LiberalNation
06-08-2010, 01:55 AM
doesn't matter that rig cut corners which led to this spill under bp orders.

Mr. P
06-08-2010, 02:00 AM
doesn't matter that rig cut corners which led to this spill under bp orders.

Did they?? What were they? Did they break the law? How do you know?

LiberalNation
06-08-2010, 02:08 AM
look it up, been all over the press. Why do you hate the wildlife and exuse bps negligence.

Mr. P
06-08-2010, 02:10 AM
look it up, been all over the press. Why do you hate the wildlife and exuse bps negligence.

What negligence?

LiberalNation
06-08-2010, 02:27 AM
not adding the saftey valve, using sea water instead of correct substance in some important euipment. Have you not been following the story?

Mr. P
06-08-2010, 02:32 AM
not adding the saftey valve, using sea water instead of correct substance in some important euipment. Have you not been following the story?

They had the required valve..it failed. Don't believe everything ya hear...Hear?

DragonStryk72
06-08-2010, 04:23 AM
Spilling 10,000-25,000 barrels of oil per day into the Gulf of Mexico is not, in my opinion, best described by the word "responsible". Some might call it "irresponsible", the opposite of "responsible".

Define "steadily"

As in continuously, without the government making them do it. Notice you took the coward route, and cut out the part where I specifically said that it was the only negative news I'd heard about them.

LN, don't tell people to go search, if you have stats, find and put them up. Sort of part and parcel to a debate. BTW, pretty much every big company at this point has a list of safety violations, most usually caused by employees themselves, and not the management. I saw the same thing in Navy, at Wal-Mart, and every other place I worked. It's not managers getting people to be unsafe, they're doing it all by themselves.

LiberalNation
06-08-2010, 12:07 PM
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/07/AR2010060704826.html?hpid=topnews

Binky
06-08-2010, 03:35 PM
It does suck, but this thread is pretty much a repeat of the prior one. BP has actually been very responsible, this is the only time I have heard negative news on them, and they are working steadily to clean it up, it's just a huge job. Beating down BP won't effect anything really, beyond which, since they are cleaning up their own mess, we should be backing them up more than we are, since most companies would be busy trying to save their own butt, so far BP is just trying to get it contained.

I didn't say they weren't trying to get it under control. I said I doubted they would ever be able to get ALL of it up and out of the water and marshes. Besides, since this is their mess, they should be working endlessly to find a way to plug and clean.....and then make good to those that have lost their incomes.......It's the honorable and proper thing to do....

SpidermanTUba
06-08-2010, 10:40 PM
As in continuously, without the government making them do it. Notice you took the coward route, and cut out the part where I specifically said that it was the only negative news I'd heard about them.

LN, don't tell people to go search, if you have stats, find and put them up. Sort of part and parcel to a debate. BTW, pretty much every big company at this point has a list of safety violations, most usually caused by employees themselves, and not the management. I saw the same thing in Navy, at Wal-Mart, and every other place I worked. It's not managers getting people to be unsafe, they're doing it all by themselves.

Name those of BP's competitors that are convicted felons.

Mr. P
06-08-2010, 11:28 PM
Name those of BP's competitors that are convicted felons.

Penalize an accident until BP goes outta business, Tube. Instead of letting them do what they need to do. Sure makes sense to me.

How many in LA. and the Gulf coast work for them...again?

SpidermanTUba
06-09-2010, 12:33 AM
Penalize an accident until BP goes outta business, Tube. Instead of letting them do what they need to do. Sure makes sense to me.

How many in LA. and the Gulf coast work for them...again?

So if I were to employ people, could I also be exempt from having to follow the law?

krisy
06-09-2010, 09:16 PM
So if I were to employ people, could I also be exempt from having to follow the law?

I think the point is....if you drive them outta business,then who is going to pay for all this for years to come? The American taxpayer maybe? Who will give all their employees jobs?

SassyLady
06-09-2010, 09:33 PM
I haven't seen anything on this and perhaps someone here knows .... didn't BP have any type of liability insurance for this type of situation? Surely the insurance company will have to cover this.

Mr. P
06-09-2010, 10:29 PM
I haven't seen anything on this and perhaps someone here knows .... didn't BP have any type of liability insurance for this type of situation? Surely the insurance company will have to cover this.

I'm sure they have insurance but for this? Donno. I'm also sure it comes with a MAX payout. Can you imagine the premium increase they're gonna see IF they will even renew after this?

SpidermanTUba
06-10-2010, 12:24 AM
I think the point is....if you drive them outta business,then who is going to pay for all this for years to come?

So you're saying - we shouldn't fine them as part of a larger effort to get them to pay for their damage - because it would impeded their ability ... to pay for their damage.

Yeah that makes plenty sense. Lets go with that. In fact, we should send that $60,000,000 back for the berms right away - that would certainly hurt their ability to pay us. Do you think we should send them donations, as well? Maybe some flowers and a card. Wouldn't want to hurt their feewings, either.

Who will give all their employees jobs?
The same people satisfying the demand that BP would no longer be able to supply - the other oil companies.

SpidermanTUba
06-10-2010, 12:26 AM
I'm sure they have insurance but for this? Donno. I'm also sure it comes with a MAX payout. Can you imagine the premium increase they're gonna see IF they will even renew after this?

I thought I heard BP owned its insurance company.

Mr. P
06-10-2010, 12:48 AM
I thought I heard BP owned its insurance company.

Self insured, yes probably.
The last large corp I worked for was self insured..it seems to be the norm with large co's. I'm sure it's cheaper. But that doesn't mean they can't carry additional coverage.

SpidermanTUba
06-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Self insured, yes probably.
The last large corp I worked for was self insured..it seems to be the norm with large co's. I'm sure it's cheaper. But that doesn't mean they can't carry additional coverage.

I would think that the insurance company they own would itself have reinsurance.

Either way I don't see how its possible to have a policy that good. This is going to cost BP a lot of money.

krisy
06-10-2010, 06:57 PM
So you're saying - we shouldn't fine them as part of a larger effort to get them to pay for their damage - because it would impeded their ability ... to pay for their damage.

Yeah that makes plenty sense. Lets go with that. In fact, we should send that $60,000,000 back for the berms right away - that would certainly hurt their ability to pay us. Do you think we should send them donations, as well? Maybe some flowers and a card. Wouldn't want to hurt their feewings, either.

The same people satisfying the demand that BP would no longer be able to supply - the other oil companies.

Can you show me where I wrote those words, smart ass? Your a typical liberal. Every reaction is based solely on emotion and hysteria.

Let me explain this in as simple terms as possible since you apparently learn on a pre k level.

No where did I say they shouldn't be fined. But putting them out of business or into bankrupcy will just end in the taxpayer paying the bill for the clean up,wildlife,unemployed Americans.

SpidermanTUba
06-10-2010, 07:19 PM
No where did I say they shouldn't be fined. But putting them out of business or into bankrupcy will just end in the taxpayer paying the bill for the clean up,wildlife,unemployed Americans.

The bill of the clean up, wildlife, and unemployed is what's going to cause them to go into bankruptcy.

krisy
06-10-2010, 07:24 PM
The bill of the clean up, wildlife, and unemployed is what's going to cause them to go into bankruptcy.

I don't know...maybe. From what I've seen on the news,they make a pretty hefty profit every quarter.

I just wish something would work to fix the problem at hand. Does anyone know if heads/workers of other oil companies have been asked for the input on how to "plug the hole"?