PDA

View Full Version : IT'S WORKING: Illegal aliens fleeing Arizona in advance of new Illegal-immigrant law

Little-Acorn
06-09-2010, 04:31 PM
Sounds like Arizona's new law authorizing police to arrest illegal aliens and turn them over the ICE, is having its intended effect. Illegal aliens by the thousands are fleeing the state... and saying it is because of the new law.

And that's before the law even goes into effect!

Reports like this provide a useful heads-up to adjacent states, which the illegal aliens have threatened to invade next (see text). It's time for them to pass a similar law.

The new law specifically forbids any kind of racial profiling, and allows arrests only where the cop is already contacting the suspect for other matters (speeding ticket, etc.). But I see where a few of the sillier people who are legal residents, are planning to leave too. They are free to do so, as any citizen and/or legal resident is. If they are nutty enough to believe Arizona's law affects them when it clearly doesn't, or are trying to make some kind of bizarre "statement", then Arizona is probably better off without them anyway. Why stand in their way?

------------------------------------

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-06-08-immigration_N.htm

Hispanics flee Arizona ahead of immigration law
Updated 5h 38m ago

by Alan Gomez, USA TODAY

Arizona's tough new immigration enforcement law is fueling an exodus of Hispanics from the state seven weeks before it goes into effect, according to officials and residents in the state.

Though no one has precise figures, reports from school officials, businesses and individuals indicate worried Hispanics — both legal and illegal — are leaving the state in anticipation of the law, which will go into effect July 29.

Schools in Hispanic areas report unusual drops in enrollment. The Balsz Elementary School District is 75% Hispanic, and within a month of the law's passage, the parents of 70 students pulled them out of school, said District Superintendent Jeffrey Smith. The district lost seven students over the same one-month period last year, and parents tell Smith the Arizona law is the reason for leaving.

"They're leaving to another state where they feel more welcome," he said.

The measure, signed into law April 23 by Republican Gov. Jan Brewer, requires a police officer to determine a person's immigration status if they are stopped, detained or arrested and there is "reasonable suspicion" they are in the country illegally.

About 100,000 illegal immigrants left Arizona after the state passed a law in 2007 that enhanced penalties on businesses that hired them, according to the Department of Homeland Security. Some early signs suggest another exodus.

Businesses serving the Hispanic community say business is down, signaling that illegal immigrants are holding on to cash in anticipation of a move from the state, said David Castillo, co-founder of the Latin Association of Arizona, a chamber of commerce for nearly 400 first-generation Hispanic business owners.

"(Brewer) signed the law, and everything fell apart," Castillo said. "It's devastating."

Jorge Vargas plans to move to New York City because his air-conditioning business relies mostly on Hispanics. "My business is completely dead," he said.

Juan Carlos Cruz, an illegal immigrant who has worked in plant nurseries for 20 years, huddled with dozens of relatives over the Memorial Day Weekend in the backyard of his brother's Phoenix-area home to plot out the family's next move to avoid what they say will be harassment by police. Virginia and California are the front-runners.

"If I were alone, I'd try to stay. But I have a family, and I have to find a place where we can live with more freedom," said Cruz, who hopes to move July 4 to blend in with holiday weekend traffic. "This is getting too hard."

Paul Senseman, a spokesman for Brewer, said it's difficult to gauge how many people are leaving because of the law, but he said he hears similar reports of people leaving the state.

"If that means that fewer people are breaking the law, that is absolutely an accomplishment," he said.

chloe
06-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Good news !

sybarite
06-10-2010, 11:45 AM
I hope they flock to L.A. If they want to defend the illegals, let them live there and drain their resources.

Little-Acorn
06-10-2010, 12:08 PM
Arizona has pinpointed the fatal flaw in the U.S. law governing the same thing: There's NOTHING WRONG with the country's immigration law - it's just not being enforced. Arizona has added enforcement, nothing else. All they do is turn suspected illegal aliens over the Federal authorities for evaluation and Federal prosecution, in compliance with existing Federal law.

And bingo - suddenly illegal aliens and their advocate are fleeing the state in droves.

Arizona exposes the lies of people who insist we need "comprehensive immigration reform". Their screams for massive changes to our existing laws, are nothing but a smokescreen for laws to grant amnesty under various guises ("Path to citizenship", as though there weren't already such paths in place, etc.). All AZ did, was begin actual enforcement of existing laws. And look at the result. Arizona has provided proof beyond any possible doubt, that enforcement was the ONLY thing needed to solve the problem.

I have reports of many families moving back to Mexico with everything they own, schools near the border half empty because of families moving out specifically due to the new law, etc. Some are fleeing to other states, of course, too, in hopes that enforcement won't be done there.

But Arizona has provided the missing link - enforcement - and also a clear example to those other states on how to solve the problem.

And do you know the funniest part? It's all happening without a single arrest or detention made under the new law! Not a single Arizona policeman has asked ANYONE whether he's in the country legally, under the authority this law gives them. The law hasn't even gone into effect yet.

And yet the illegals know the party's over. They aren't waiting to be asked. They are pulling up stakes and moving back to their country of origin, or to areas where they think enforcement still won't happen. Those states now need to pass their own enforcement laws, similar to Arizona's.

There couldn't be a better indication of the success of the enforcement of our immigration laws, than the decisions by the illegals themselves, that they're outta here as a result of it. What better endorsement can you ask?

Binky
06-10-2010, 01:27 PM
It's amazing how well laws work when they are actually enforced rather than left sitting stale, stagnant and dying on the vine, so to speak. Last I knew 13 states had legislation pending on illegal immigration, of some sort or another. It's well beyond the time when every state needs to step up and enforce the laws they have or make new ones and enforce them.

And as it always bears repeating, nail the ones that are enabling the illegals. Landlords, (most of which are slumlords profiting off the plight of others), are serious offenders. So are various corporations and small businesses. Pound these people and corporations with hugh fines and serious jail time. Cause them some pain..... Make their lives miserable. They are all scumbags.

LiberalNation
06-10-2010, 10:09 PM
and so are legal business owners and legal latinos, way to make your economy even worse AZ.

HogTrash
06-10-2010, 10:17 PM
The article reports that legal as well as illegal aliens are leaving the state.

I find this hard to believe unless a dependent family member happens to be illegal.

Anyway, this is an indication that all we need do is enforce existing laws and they will leave.

If the laws are enforced in all states, the illegals will have no place to go but back across the border.

It's called self-deportation...Enforce the laws and they will leave...And stop coming...No border fence needed.

Folks, Arizona has provided the solution to our problem...Let's see if any of our elected officials notice this revelation.

chloe
06-10-2010, 10:19 PM
The article reports that legal as well as illegal aliens are leaving the state.

I find this hard to believe unless a dependent family member happens to be illegal.

Anyway, this is an indication that all we need do is enforce existing laws and they will leave.

If the laws are enforced in all states, the illegals will have no place to go but back across the border.

It's called self-deportation...Enforce the laws and they will leave...And stop coming...No border fence needed.

Folks, Arizona has provided the solution to our problem...Let's see if any of our elected officials notice this revelation.

I like that "self-deportation" :laugh2:

HogTrash
06-10-2010, 10:29 PM
and so are legal business owners and legal latinos, way to make your economy even worse AZ.Imagine the drain on the Arizona economy that will be eliminated when taxpayers no longer have to provide education, medical care, public services and crime and incarceration costs to half a million illegal aliens.

LiberalNation
06-10-2010, 10:35 PM
and lose those prison jobs and teacher jobs, decreasing the population always ends badly. You might see a slight wage increase but that wont matter when people can't find jobs.

HogTrash
06-10-2010, 11:22 PM
and lose those prison jobs and teacher jobs, decreasing the population always ends badly. You might see a slight wage increase but that wont matter when people can't find jobs.What about all those jobs the illegals vacate when they leave and please don't say that there jobs Americans won't do?

LiberalNation
06-10-2010, 11:23 PM
they wont do them for those starvation wages typically.

HogTrash
06-10-2010, 11:39 PM
they wont do them for those starvation wages typically.That's right...Employers will once again be forced to pay Americans a living wage...Nothing wrong with that.

I had an ole biker buddy who had a framing crew, building new homes back before the housing bubble popped.

He paid his crew good wages but more and more crews were hiring mexicans for low wages and underbiding his prices.

He paid his crew 12 to 16 dollars an hour while the mexican crews were only being paid 8 dollars an hour tops, no overtime.

He had to close shop and send his American crew to the unemployment line and he went back to driving a truck over the road at 50.

SassyLady
06-10-2010, 11:40 PM
Arizona has pinpointed the fatal flaw in the U.S. law governing the same thing: There's NOTHING WRONG with the country's immigration law - it's just not being enforced. Arizona has added enforcement, nothing else. All they do is turn suspected illegal aliens over the Federal authorities for evaluation and Federal prosecution, in compliance with existing Federal law.

And bingo - suddenly illegal aliens and their advocate are fleeing the state in droves.

Arizona exposes the lies of people who insist we need "comprehensive immigration reform". Their screams for massive changes to our existing laws, are nothing but a smokescreen for laws to grant amnesty under various guises ("Path to citizenship", as though there weren't already such paths in place, etc.). All AZ did, was begin actual enforcement of existing laws. And look at the result. Arizona has provided proof beyond any possible doubt, that enforcement was the ONLY thing needed to solve the problem.

I have reports of many families moving back to Mexico with everything they own, schools near the border half empty because of families moving out specifically due to the new law, etc. Some are fleeing to other states, of course, too, in hopes that enforcement won't be done there.

But Arizona has provided the missing link - enforcement - and also a clear example to those other states on how to solve the problem.

And do you know the funniest part? It's all happening without a single arrest or detention made under the new law! Not a single Arizona policeman has asked ANYONE whether he's in the country legally, under the authority this law gives them. The law hasn't even gone into effect yet.

And yet the illegals know the party's over. They aren't waiting to be asked. They are pulling up stakes and moving back to their country of origin, or to areas where they think enforcement still won't happen. Those states now need to pass their own enforcement laws, similar to Arizona's.

There couldn't be a better indication of the success of the enforcement of our immigration laws, than the decisions by the illegals themselves, that they're outta here as a result of it. What better endorsement can you ask?

No wonder Calderon is so pissed....now they are his responsibility!!!:lol:

DragonStryk72
06-10-2010, 11:43 PM
they wont do them for those starvation wages typically.

So you were okay with illegals getting the screws put them by american business owners? Are you listening to yourself? You are essentially complaining that illegals will no longer be receiving nearly sweat shop wages, and that the businesses would actually have to start paying their employees according to minimum wage laws.

you are complaining only because you see the "poor illegals", but you do not see how much it hurts both the US and Mexico for them to come over. There are twelve million of them in the US, and if they all went back to Mexico and armed themselves, they could push out every single drug lord and dealer with ease given the insane advantage of numbers they would have over them. Instead, they stay here, being a drain on the system, while their former country continue to descend into the pit.

As to the jobs Americans "won't" do, that's pure crap, and has been repeated time and again. I did shit jobs in the Navy. You ever been in a bilge before? Ever hung off the back of a garbage truck for your work? Again, I have, and let me tell you, when people need work, they will do whatever job pays the bills. Amazing how motivating poverty can be.

For the teaching jobs and such, the schools are actually overcrowded, so wouldn't the number of teachers remain constant, and the class sizes simply get smaller? Of course, you don't want to admit that one either, because to admit that would also admit the other logical occurrence of smaller class size, being higher grades all around, and better education.

Frankly, as far as prisons, I want those jobs to be obsolete, don't you? I mean, the only reason that prisons would have too many guards and such employed is if they don't have all the cells full, meaning that fewer people are committing crimes and getting incarcerated.

As to the population decrease, that's just not correct. A far lessened illegal population is a death sentence to black markets, which live and breed off of the people in the shadows. Less people, especially in the urban centers, and poorer sections means better police coverage, and again, less crime occurring.

As to finding jobs, people just need to take what's available, or really, they deserve what they get for being arrogant. It is far past time people got that slap in the face.

SassyLady
06-10-2010, 11:47 PM
So you were okay with illegals getting the screws put them by american business owners? Are you listening to yourself? You are essentially complaining that illegals will no longer be receiving nearly sweat shop wages, and that the businesses would actually have to start paying their employees according to minimum wage laws.

you are complaining only because you see the "poor illegals", but you do not see how much it hurts both the US and Mexico for them to come over. There are twelve million of them in the US, and if they all went back to Mexico and armed themselves, they could push out every single drug lord and dealer with ease given the insane advantage of numbers they would have over them. Instead, they stay here, being a drain on the system, while their former country continue to descend into the pit.

As to the jobs Americans "won't" do, that's pure crap, and has been repeated time and again. I did shit jobs in the Navy. You ever been in a bilge before? Ever hung off the back of a garbage truck for your work? Again, I have, and let me tell you, when people need work, they will do whatever job pays the bills. Amazing how motivating poverty can be.

For the teaching jobs and such, the schools are actually overcrowded, so wouldn't the number of teachers remain constant, and the class sizes simply get smaller? Of course, you don't want to admit that one either, because to admit that would also admit the other logical occurrence of smaller class size, being higher grades all around, and better education.

Frankly, as far as prisons, I want those jobs to be obsolete, don't you? I mean, the only reason that prisons would have too many guards and such employed is if they don't have all the cells full, meaning that fewer people are committing crimes and getting incarcerated.

As to the population decrease, that's just not correct. A far lessened illegal population is a death sentence to black markets, which live and breed off of the people in the shadows. Less people, especially in the urban centers, and poorer sections means better police coverage, and again, less crime occurring.

As to finding jobs, people just need to take what's available, or really, they deserve what they get for being arrogant. It is far past time people got that slap in the face.

I was going to highlight the parts of this post that I liked, but I loved the entire post.... you took the words right out of my mouth Dragon but did it more eloquently that I could have. :clap::clap::clap:

sybarite
06-11-2010, 10:40 AM
and lose those prison jobs and teacher jobs, decreasing the population always ends badly. You might see a slight wage increase but that wont matter when people can't find jobs.

I think it would be wonderful if we could eliminate all prison jobs. That means we would have a zero crime rate. LOL! Lose those prison jobs....I can't believe you really posted that!

namvet
06-11-2010, 10:57 AM
that is great news. now the other states have to step up now and make the liberals look as bad as they really are

LiberalNation
06-11-2010, 11:08 AM
if you can get unemployment for two years there is no reason to take a job making less than you would make on it. Just shooting yourself in the foot.

namvet
06-11-2010, 11:17 AM
if you can get unemployment for two years there is no reason to take a job making less than you would make on it. Just shooting yourself in the foot.

hopefully border patrol is your newest assignment

LiberalNation
06-11-2010, 11:18 AM
they use mps for that......

Little-Acorn
06-11-2010, 01:34 PM
hopefully border patrol is your newest assignment

I assume you're joking, namvet.

I've patrolled the border, as a civilian in aid of the Border Patrol. Mostly in unpopulated areas, both in the air and on foot. It's lonely there, dry, dusty, with rocks, cactus, and scorpions. Most of the people you find, are not particularly hostile, they are trying to find a better life, and are often in grave trouble.

But a few are there to make a buck, in any way they find, and I mean any way. And they don't take kindly to people who want to stop them.

I don't like being there, but sometimes it's necessary.

But I really wouldn't like being there with a backup who might decide, for unfathomable reasons, that our side is wrong and those facing us are right.

Sorry, won't go on patrol with someone like that. Nor would anyone else I've worked with there, I'm sure enough to say. Watching my front is tough enough.

SassyLady
06-11-2010, 01:44 PM
I assume you're joking, namvet.

I've patrolled the border, as a civilian in aid of the Border Patrol. Mostly in unpopulated areas, both in the air and on foot. It's lonely there, dry, dusty, with rocks, cactus, and scorpions. Most of the people you find, are not particularly hostile, they are trying to find a better life, and are often in grave trouble.

But a few are there to make a buck, in any way they find, and I mean any way. And they don't take kindly to people who want to stop them.

I don't like being there, but sometimes it's necessary.

But I really wouldn't like being there with a backup who might decide, for unfathomable reasons, that our side is wrong and those facing us are right.

Sorry, won't go on patrol with someone like that. Nor would anyone else I've worked with there, I'm sure enough to say. Watching my front is tough enough.

Hey Little-Acorn ... you are a very astute judge of character and I, too, can't believe namvet would encourage what he did. :eek:

SassyLady
06-11-2010, 01:47 PM

NG doesn't just do border patrol. Depends on what they will be doing at the border. NG is also used for building barriers....husband's engineer unit was down on the border all the time.

At any rate, if things keep escalating with Mexico, Libbs will be down there practicing her nursing skills on the casualities....doubt if she has what it takes to do patrol.

LiberalNation
06-11-2010, 01:59 PM
I hope I'm not humping in astan, now I doubt I have what it take to climb mountains with iba and 40 pounds of care plus medic bag and weapon right now.

We aslo have avaition units flying helos but the majority seem to be mp for actual boarder security.

Binky
06-11-2010, 02:27 PM
and so are legal business owners and legal latinos, way to make your economy even worse AZ.

Aahhhhhh.........you must be one of those bleeding hearts that want to see the illegals left alone to stay in America and continue reaching out for yet more and more handouts at our expense.....

It is apparent you haven't gotten it yet......the whole gist of the matter is the fact that THEY ARE ILLEGAL AND NOT HERE LEGALLY, THEREFORE THEY SHOULD GO BACK AND TAKE THE TESTS LIKE OTHERS HAVE DONE TO BECOME LEGAL........ Legal and illegal.....What's not to understand? It's really not that difficult to figure out....One has the right to be here while the other doesn't.....Damn............that's a hard concept to understand......

Binky
06-11-2010, 03:00 PM
What about all those jobs the illegals vacate when they leave and please don't say that there jobs Americans won't do?

I can speak from experience on this one. I used to be a nursing assistant back in the early 1990's. And there were some duties I didn't like doing but they were part of my job and I did them anyway. One such duty was I had to clean up adult sized poop from the patients that were bedridden and unable to use the toilet or bedpan. And you haven't seen poop until you see it in diarhea from adults and soiling every bed linen, blanket and clothes or gown....

So I don't want to hear about jobs that Americans are too damn good to do...When you want a paycheck, you will do whatever is required of you to get it....

Also, while working as a barmaid for years, on occasion I had to clean up after drunks that puked up all over the bar counter or shit on the bathroom floor. You want something fun to clean up....Try swabbing up puke....What a disgusting mess..... Again, part of the job.

There are millions of Americans that have had to do disgusting things for their jobs. They do them because it's all part of the job. And the job is a means to earn that paycheck.....And that paycheck is the means they need to purchase food for their families. One does what one has to do...doesn't mean one likes it. Only means it gets done....

Binky
06-11-2010, 03:11 PM

:clap::clap: Damn good post. I couldn't have said it better myself....

Binky
06-11-2010, 03:45 PM

Unemployment checks are for 26 weeks. That's six months. Not two years. In some cases the gov't may allow an extension. Not all that often tho'. And the cap on the check is $300 every two weeks. And that's if you have a damn good job like an auto worker who also gets subpay. Others get about half that much depending on their payscale. And you have to be employed paying taxes for at least a year.

DragonStryk72
06-11-2010, 03:55 PM

wow, not even a vague response to what I wrote. gotta love that one. I mean, shit, I should be surprised, but I'm not. It's the SOP for you so far in what I've seen. You stop posting as soon as someone, anyone, has an argument that busts yours. You'll post for other stuff in the thread, but not one point will be answered back on the argument you lost, or even at least conceding the point.

SassyLady
06-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Unemployment checks are for 26 weeks. That's six months. Not two years. In some cases the gov't may allow an extension. Not all that often tho'. And the cap on the check is $300 every two weeks. And that's if you have a damn good job like an auto worker who also gets subpay. Others get about half that much depending on their payscale. And you have to be employed paying taxes for at least a year.

In CA right now I think it's up to 99 weeks .. and I know a couple of people who are collecting unemployment ... the max is $450/week and the feds put an extra $25/week so I think they are getting $475/week. One of them was only making $45K/year the other was making $60K ... both are getting the same. One is on the third extension ... over 52 weeks so far and just got another extension for I think 20 weeks. Both are over 60 so it doesn't look either one will be getting a job soon....

For Those Running out of All Available Benefits
As of June 7, 2010, more than 124,000 claimants in California have fully exhausted all unemployment benefits that have been available. This number will continue to grow because at this time, Congress is not considering adding any further weeks of benefits to the 99 week maximum.

http://wwwedd.cahwnet.gov/Unemployment/Federal_Unemployment_Insurance_Extensions.htm

SassyLady
06-11-2010, 06:32 PM
wow, not even a vague response to what I wrote. gotta love that one. I mean, shit, I should be surprised, but I'm not. It's the SOP for you so far in what I've seen. You stop posting as soon as someone, anyone, has an argument that busts yours. You'll post for other stuff in the thread, but not one point will be answered back on the argument you lost, or even at least conceding the point.

Her posts are very rarely longer than one line .... she's a drive by poster. I've noticed the younger generation are using their cell phones and perhaps she has a maximum character for her texting .....

DragonStryk72
06-11-2010, 10:44 PM
Her posts are very rarely longer than one line .... she's a drive by poster. I've noticed the younger generation are using their cell phones and perhaps she has a maximum character for her texting .....

But a drive-by response would still have been a response.

SassyLady
06-12-2010, 03:01 AM
But a drive-by response would still have been a response.

I think she was put in a 24 hour time out. :coffee:

Binky
06-12-2010, 09:23 AM
In CA right now I think it's up to 99 weeks .. and I know a couple of people who are collecting unemployment ... the max is $450/week and the feds put an extra $25/week so I think they are getting $475/week. One of them was only making $45K/year the other was making $60K ... both are getting the same. One is on the third extension ... over 52 weeks so far and just got another extension for I think 20 weeks. Both are over 60 so it doesn't look either one will be getting a job soon....

What I guoted was from Michigan. Guess I assumed all states were the same in that respect. And you know what they say about assuming......:laugh2:

Anyway, the monies you get there out weighs what we get here. I wonder why it's different from state to state......Hmmmm.............

Binky
06-12-2010, 09:28 AM

I'm wondering why she has so much time to spend on the computer. If she's only been in the military a month then she's in basic training and should be out doing calistinics, marching, humping along at whatever they tell her to do. All that doesn't leave much time to play on the 'puter. But then, times have changed since my hubs was in the army, so who the heck knows? He worked his tail off. Maybe now they sit on theirs instead.....:laugh2:

DragonStryk72
06-12-2010, 04:25 PM

Even before that, her only response was to a comment about the Guard, not about the post completely disintegrating her points.

SassyLady
06-13-2010, 12:15 AM
What I guoted was from Michigan. Guess I assumed all states were the same in that respect. And you know what they say about assuming......:laugh2:

Anyway, the monies you get there out weighs what we get here. I wonder why it's different from state to state......Hmmmm.............

The cost of living in CA is probably one of the highest in the nation. I know that my husband's BAH is higher here than most places.

SassyLady
06-13-2010, 12:18 AM
Even before that, her only response was to a comment about the Guard, not about the post completely disintegrating her points.

Yep ... no sustainability ... wonder how she'll make it through basic training.

DragonStryk72
06-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Yep ... no sustainability ... wonder how she'll make it through basic training.

Likely she'll make it through, but I'm hoping that she'll learn a new attitude while she's there.

Binky
06-13-2010, 12:58 PM
The cost of living in CA is probably one of the highest in the nation. I know that my husband's BAH is higher here than most places.

Yeah, that's right. I had forgotten about that... Oh well, my mind isn't what it used to be.....:laugh2: