PDA

View Full Version : Saudis bust huge terror plot..

theHawk
04-27-2007, 10:48 AM
This just in...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/04/27/Saudi.arrests.ap/index.html

RIYADH, Saudi Arabia (AP) -- Police have arrested 172 Islamic militants, some of whom were being trained abroad as pilots so they could fly aircraft in attacks on Saudi Arabia's oil fields, the Interior Ministry said Friday.

The ministry issued a statement saying the detainees were planning to carry out suicide atttacks against "public figures, oil facilities, refineries ... and military zones" -- some of which were outside the kingdom.

"They had reached an advance stage of readiness and what remained only was to set the zero hour for their attacks," Interior Ministry spokesman Brig. Mansour al-Turki told The Associated Press in a phone call. "They had the personnel, the money, the arms. Almost all the elements for terror attacks were complete except for setting the zero hour for the attacks."

The ministry did not say the militants would fly aircraft into oil refineries, as the September 11, 2001 hijackers flew planes into buildings in New York and Washington, but it said in a statement that some detainees had been "sent to other countries to study flying in preparation for using them to carry out terrorist attacks inside the kingdom."

Dilloduck
04-27-2007, 11:47 AM
This just in...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/04/27/Saudi.arrests.ap/index.html

Well now I'm REALLY confused. People tell me that the Saudis are our enemy. Why should they be victims of a plot such as this?

diuretic
04-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Way to go - damn good work!

Dilloduck
04-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Way to go - damn good work!

But shouldn't we be disappointed that the evil Saudis weren't terrorized like they terrorized the US ?

diuretic
04-27-2007, 12:04 PM
But shouldn't we be disappointed that the evil Saudis weren't terrorized like they terrorized the US ?

It wasn't the House of Saud was it? I thought it was the renegade and his twisted mates.

Anyway I always applaud good CT ops. Good to see it happen.

Dilloduck
04-27-2007, 12:16 PM
It wasn't the House of Saud was it? I thought it was the renegade and his twisted mates.

Anyway I always applaud good CT ops. Good to see it happen.

Sorry--I was being too facetious. Of course it was the renegades yet some continue to blame the House of Saud to this day and think that the US should have attacked them. While there is some valid concerns regarding the behavior of the Sauds, it would be quite the mistake to declare them as our enemies. A ticklish situation to be sure.

Hagbard Celine
04-27-2007, 12:57 PM
These animals are even trying to attack their own kind. What a joke the Islamic world is.

Dilloduck
04-27-2007, 01:11 PM
These animals are even trying to attack their own kind. What a joke the Islamic world is.

Ain't it the truth. I might be able to drum up some sympathy for the muslims who want NO part of this barbaric bullshit but until the are willing to risk something to stop it, I can't manage.

Hagbard Celine
04-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Ain't it the truth. I might be able to drum up some sympathy for the muslims who want NO part of this barbaric bullshit but until the are willing to risk something to stop it, I can't manage.

Until they are willing to actually say "I want NO part of this" and "I unequivocally rebuke these actions" I can't either. So far everything I've heard leads me to believe that most Muslims are either sympathetic to terrorism or are willing to look the other way.

Dilloduck
04-27-2007, 01:19 PM
Until they are willing to actually say "I want NO part of this" and "I unequivocally rebuke these actions" I can't either. So far everything I've heard leads me to believe that most Muslims are either sympathetic to terrorism or are willing to look the other way.

It's nearly impossible to come to any other rational conclusion. Sad.

diuretic
04-27-2007, 01:23 PM
As I understand it (which leaves quite a bit of room for debate, trust me) the nutters are cranky with the House of Saud because they own the Arabian peninsula and the sacred sites of Medina, Mecca and Jeddah are there. I think bin Laden and his mates want them out.

Dilloduck
04-27-2007, 01:33 PM
As I understand it (which leaves quite a bit of room for debate, trust me) the nutters are cranky with the House of Saud because they own the Arabian peninsula and the sacred sites of Medina, Mecca and Jeddah are there. I think bin Laden and his mates want them out.

I think that's pretty accurate. An extreme relgious group that feels they are obligated to overthrow the secular government and destroy anyone who they befriend. Then there is that little matter of having 2 sects of the same religion who vehemnetly hate each other.

theHawk
04-27-2007, 01:55 PM
I thought the Sauds were evil because they are in cahoots with Bush?

diuretic
04-27-2007, 07:47 PM
I thought the Sauds were evil because they are in cahoots with Bush?

I have to say I can't put any credence in those rumours. The Saudis have been tight with the West for years. The Brits used to sell them huge amounts of arms, the Saudi air force used to have British EE Lightnings (magnificent aircraft) some years ago. So, it's not a question of Bush being in cahoots with them. Even when the Brits knew - there was a tv programme there called "Death of a Princess" some years ago - that the Saudis are running a brutal, mediaevalist regime - they just ignored it and continued business as usual.

Anyway good work by the Saudi forces on this one, they have given AQ a big hammering! :clap:

Kathianne
04-27-2007, 07:53 PM
The Saudi royal family wishes us dead, but they want our money, thus dissonance. They are for all that want to kill us and our ideas, but not the money that flows.

We are too stupid to recognize and deal with.

diuretic
04-27-2007, 08:06 PM
The Saudi royal family wishes us dead, but they want our money, thus dissonance. They are for all that want to kill us and our ideas, but not the money that flows.

We are too stupid to recognize and deal with.

Where would they go (and I'm referring to the West in general) to drink until they fall down drunk and party with hookers? :laugh2:

Kathianne
04-27-2007, 08:39 PM
Where would they go (and I'm referring to the West in general) to drink until they fall down drunk and party with hookers? :laugh2:

Ummm, off shore drilling, alternative energy autos, higher gas prices?