PDA

View Full Version : Can Light Drinking in Early Pregnancy Actually Be Beneficial?

DragonStryk72
06-11-2010, 05:56 PM
I saw this article online, and was intrigued:

A recent study published in the obstetrics and gynecology journal BJOG found that, indeed, women who had two to six drinks per week (or one per day) early in their pregnancy tended to have children with more positive behavior than women who didn’t drink at all. I must admit, I wish I'd read this study sooner because my pregnant self really wanted a glass of wine after a pretty trying plane ride with my 2-year-old last week!

After documenting the women’s alcohol consumption during their first three months of pregnancy, psychologists used a standard checklist to assess the group of 2,370 children every two to three years over the course of 14 years. "This positive behavior meant that the children of light and moderate drinkers had less emotional and behavioral problems through childhood and adolescence," Dr. Monique Robinson, from Telethon Institute for Child Health Research in West Perth, Western Australia, told Reuters Health.

While Dr. Robinson acknowledges these results “may initially appear surprising,” she says, “we need to be cautious about generalizing the effects of a heavy alcohol intake to a light consumption of alcohol—they are not equal." Even with the study’s results, Robinson recognizes that opinions on the topic will continue to vary and recommends checking with your obstetrician before consuming alcohol while pregnant.

http://www.ivillage.com/can-light-drinking-early-pregnancy-actually-be-beneficial/6-a-210545?nlcid=in|06-11-2010|

I find it interesting that for years, we had doctors lining up scaring us on things like eggs, weight gain, the effects of carbs, and even drinking, only now it seems like they're sitting going, "Well, really, as long as you don't go apeshit, it's all cool."

SassyLady
06-11-2010, 05:59 PM
I saw this article online, and was intrigued:

I find it interesting that for years, we had doctors lining up scaring us on things like eggs, weight gain, the effects of carbs, and even drinking, only now it seems like they're sitting going, "Well, really, as long as you don't go apeshit, it's all cool."

"Everything in moderation". :coffee:

DragonStryk72
06-11-2010, 06:14 PM
"Everything in moderation". :coffee:

"moderation is a wonderful thing, if kept in moderation."

SassyLady
06-11-2010, 06:15 PM
"moderation is a wonderful thing, if kept in moderation."

Yet, who defines moderation other than one's own body?

HogTrash
06-11-2010, 08:29 PM
I don't know about early pregnacy but it can be very beneficial during conception. :D

DragonStryk72
06-11-2010, 10:51 PM
I don't know about early pregnacy but it can be very beneficial during conception. :D

lol, funny as that is, it sparked this odd thought I had that we went through this incredibly alarmist run medically, and now the science just isn't backing up a lot of what everyone was so freaked out about.

pete311
07-28-2010, 02:20 AM
i would be willing to bet it made a huge difference what type of alcohol they were ingesting. red wine being the best and cheap rail gin being the worst lol

LuvRPgrl
07-28-2010, 02:45 AM
Yet, who defines moderation other than one's own body?

As an active member of AA, moderation means "not enough" for me ")

DragonStryk72
08-06-2010, 10:52 AM
As an active member of AA, moderation means "not enough" for me ")

lol my dad's in AA too, been sober nearly 3 decades now. Of course, you need to take your own habits into account, so the light drinking thing would be something that you should probably avoid