PDA

View Full Version : Man set to die by firing squad makes last appeal

chloe
06-13-2010, 06:49 PM
SALT LAKE CITY -- A Utah man set to die by firing squad next week made his final appeal for clemency Friday, with his attorneys saying he's a changed man. They're asking the state parole board to reduce his sentence to life in prison without parole.
The decision whether to spare Ronnie Lee Gardner's life now sits in the hands of the five-member Utah Board of Pardons and Parole. The board is now deliberating and will announce a decision Monday morning.

Utah Attorney General Mark Shurtleff said there could be other legal challenges up to the last minute.

"That's why the state of Utah, the director of corrections must contact me just prior to the execution to make sure all the legal remedies have been denied and they can go forward with the execution," he said.
Board members have over 1,000 pages of testimony, reports and other court documents to review before making a final decision on whether to commute Gardner's sentence.

Closing arguments from the defense
Gardner was not present at Friday's hearing because of pain issues with arthritis. But his attorney, Andrew Parnes, along with the state prosecutor, presented nearly 90 minutes of closing arguments to the board.
Parnes said his client is a changed man who is remorseful for the crimes he's committed. He asked the board to consider whether Gardner's sentence was initially inappropriate.
"Mr. Gardner acknowledged that he created quite a large deal of harm to the families," Parnes said. "He acknowledges that. He understands that. That is not in dispute."
Parnes also says evidence of Gardner's troubled childhood should be considered in their decision making.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=11131017

I think his execution is scheduled for Thursday

SassyLady
06-13-2010, 08:22 PM
I do not understand why he feels he should not be executed just because he's a changed man!!

Is he changed because he's afraid of the afterlife and being in prison, in so much arthritic pain he couldn't even attend his own hearing, is preferable to what he feels he'll be facing in the next life? If he is truly a changed man and acknowledges he created a lot of harm to those families, then he should show just how changed he is and let them execute him so the families can move forward. And so the taxpayers don't have to take care of him for the rest of his life!

Dang Straight
06-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Just shoot him and be done with it. He can tell God how he's a changed man.

namvet
06-13-2010, 09:10 PM
anyone remember Gary Gilmore???? executed by Utah firing squad. 1977. last words "let's do it"

Dang Straight
06-13-2010, 09:54 PM
Yes I do.

Mr. P
06-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Anyone know the process, how many shooters, what caliber, target area? Just wondering.

chloe
06-13-2010, 10:20 PM
Anyone know the process, how many shooters, what caliber, target area? Just wondering.

I'll ask my step dad he works there.:cool:

Mr. P
06-13-2010, 10:29 PM
I'll ask my step dad he works there.:cool:

Thanks!

Insein
06-14-2010, 10:06 AM
Is he still a danger to society if he were to ever get out? Thats the question that should be asked. If yes, then he should be executed. If no, life in prison. The jury or judge obviously decided this man was a danger to society at his sentencing.

PostmodernProphet
06-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Q:"what is your last request?"......
A: "Blanks?"......

namvet
06-14-2010, 06:30 PM
I think at least one gun has a blank. so no one knows if its his or not..........

DragonStryk72
06-14-2010, 06:41 PM
I think at least one gun has a blank. so no one knows if its his or not..........

See, I actually have a problem with that. If you're going to execute someone, then damn it, actually execute him. Whether you are firing the lethal shot or not is completely nulled by the point that you know you are aiding in killing a man, however rightfully that may be. If no one can take the shot, then maybe the person deserves to live. Personally, I think the judge that puts down a death sentence should be the one pulling the trigger.

red states rule
06-14-2010, 06:52 PM
See, I actually have a problem with that. If you're going to execute someone, then damn it, actually execute him. Whether you are firing the lethal shot or not is completely nulled by the point that you know you are aiding in killing a man, however rightfully that may be. If no one can take the shot, then maybe the person deserves to live. Personally, I think the judge that puts down a death sentence should be the one pulling the trigger.

If the Judge is not available, I am. This is long overdue - he was convicted in 1985

Gaffer
06-14-2010, 07:00 PM
If the Judge is not available, I am. This is long overdue - he was convicted in 1985

I'm with ya Red, and I don't want the blank.

red states rule
06-14-2010, 07:04 PM
I'm with ya Red, and I don't want the blank.

As Pete Clemenza said in the Godfather while teaching Michale on how to make his hit "Don't take any chances. Two shots in the head apiece"

Mr. P
06-14-2010, 11:43 PM

Conflict of interest.

DragonStryk72
06-15-2010, 12:38 AM
Conflict of interest.

not really, and when you come down to it, if a judge wants the ability to assign it as a punishment, then he should be willing to carry it out.