PDA

View Full Version : Smart Meters

SassyLady
06-13-2010, 11:34 PM
Got a letter this weekend from PG&E - our utility company. They are notifying me that they will be installing a Smart Meter within the new few days. I do not want one. Does anyone here have one installed already, and if so, what do you think and what has been your experience?

There are security & privacy concerns: a top cybersecurity firm recently tested 5 different brands of smart meters for vulnerabilities, and found that they all could be EASILY hacked into, allowing someone to remotely shut down your power, inflate your bills, tell if you're out-of-town (making you a target for burglary), commit identity theft, or even bring down the whole electricity grid. (For more details, see link .
There also are safety issues, like known cases of the smart meter failing and starting a fire, or exploding. Also, in a recent official filing PG&E confirmed that its smart meters can damage customers' sensitive electronics. And the new meter is effectively a remote control device in charge of your house or business, allowing PG&E the option of unilaterally rationing or cutting power to a property when the corporation deems it useful for THEIR purpose.

But by far the most dangerous aspect is the way these wireless meters put our health at risk! This kind of microwave pulsing works differently than more-continuous cell phone radiation, and it’s much more dangerous. Many scientific studies have verified that this type particularly affects the brain, nervous system and hormones, disrupting the functioning of many body systems and causing very serious leakage of our blood-brain barrier, and that low-power broadcasts (such as from these meters) are even more damaging than higher-power ones. Typical acute symptoms include migraine headaches, insomnia, exhaustion, forgetfulness and confusion, tinnitus, tingling, nausea and vomiting, constant thirst, heart palpitations and increased blood pressure, limbic system disturbances such as severe depression or anxiety or crying jags, etc.--and a general reduction from prior levels of functionality. For some, the nervous and endocrine systems go into hyper-arousal (as with severe stress), ultimately leading to the collapse known as "burnout". Careful scientific research has proven that cumulative exposure to this type of radiation also causes more and more DNA breaks, which—if experienced frequently enough—have the potential to be a factor in ultimately causing cancer. Our risk of developing serious symptoms (often referred to as "electrical sensitivity") increases the longer our chronic exposure to this radiation continues—and, with the smart meter system fully in place, there will be no place to escape it night or day. Children, pregnant women, the elderly, and those with pre-existing health problems are particularly vulnerable.

The transmitting smart meters also typically add additional high frequencies directly onto home and building wiring. This additional high-frequency load is then re-radiated throughout the interior space. Scientific studies are finding that such high frequencies on building wiring are related to a host of health problems, similar to those described above. The Precautionary Principle—which says "Better safe than sorry"--is official policy in parts of the Bay Area; "better safe than sorry" should mean no wireless meters until it’s been independently proven that long-term exposure to them is safe.

http://www.teensturninggreen.org/get-involved/say-no-to-smart-meters.html

I do not like the idea of my bill increasing because they charge different amounts for usage at different times of the day .... I'm not fond of my utility company controlling when I take a shower, or use my microwave, or turning my refrigerator down .... wow....what if I have the stomach flu and need to use the bathroom several times a day .... every time I flush my toilet my well uses electricity to run the pump....do I only get to flush when the utility company dictates!!! I'm not happy about this ... I really thought the Smart Meters were going to be an option, but from what I've read, we have no choice.

:lame2:

Luna Tick
06-14-2010, 06:46 PM
I used to have PG&E when I lived in California. I pity you because they SUCKED! Omaha Public Power is way better. I guess your only option is to move outa there. California's way too crowded and they have earthquakes. I like it here in Nebraska way better. There's not so much traffic and people are really friendly.

Of course you may be too rooted to move just to get away from a shitty power company. All you can do is make a bunch of noise about it.

SassyLady
06-14-2010, 06:51 PM
I used to have PG&E when I lived in California. I pity you because they SUCKED! Omaha Public Power is way better. I guess your only option is to move outa there. California's way too crowded and they have earthquakes. I like it here in Nebraska way better. There's not so much traffic and people are really friendly.

Of course you may be too rooted to move just to get away from a shitty power company. All you can do is make a bunch of noise about it.

Yeah .... I'm pretty rooted, unfortunately.

Are you saying that Omaha Public Power doesn't use smart meters?

I was basically told by PG&E today that there wasn't anything I could do about it .... talk about feeling powerless .... pun intended!!!

Mr. P
06-14-2010, 08:18 PM
My meter can be read remotely from the street....that's as smart as it gets here..... So far.

Luna Tick
06-14-2010, 09:09 PM
Yeah .... I'm pretty rooted, unfortunately.

Are you saying that Omaha Public Power doesn't use smart meters?

I was basically told by PG&E today that there wasn't anything I could do about it .... talk about feeling powerless .... pun intended!!!

No smart meters by OPPD so far, thank God. I also like them because they let me have a flat monthly rate. They averaged what I pay for electricity and divided it by 12. Now I pay exactly the same amount every month. Works great for budgeting. If my average use ever goes up or down, they'll have to adjust my rate. But I like this because I pay the same amount all year long and I always know exactly what I'm going to owe.

SassyLady
06-14-2010, 11:38 PM
No smart meters by OPPD so far, thank God. I also like them because they let me have a flat monthly rate. They averaged what I pay for electricity and divided it by 12. Now I pay exactly the same amount every month. Works great for budgeting. If my average use ever goes up or down, they'll have to adjust my rate. But I like this because I pay the same amount all year long and I always know exactly what I'm going to owe.

That would certainly work for me!! I think that's what PG&E is going to do until I get the Smart Meter ... because they don't want to send anyone out to read my meter any more.

pete311
07-28-2010, 02:16 AM
That would certainly work for me!! I think that's what PG&E is going to do until I get the Smart Meter ... because they don't want to send anyone out to read my meter any more.

you use power, you pay for it, what is the problem? try making your home as power conserving as possible.

SassyLady
07-28-2010, 02:56 AM
you use power, you pay for it, what is the problem? try making your home as power conserving as possible.

PG&E knows I use XWY amount of power with the current meter. The Smart Meter tells them if I'm using power for washer, dryer, television, AC, kitchen appliances .....and knows what time of the day I'm using these items.......

I personally think it's none of their business when and how I'm using my power ..... as long as I'm paying for what I'm using. The smart meter is just another intrusion into my privacy.

pete311
07-28-2010, 03:07 AM
PG&E knows I use XWY amount of power with the current meter. The Smart Meter tells them if I'm using power for washer, dryer, television, AC, kitchen appliances .....and knows what time of the day I'm using these items.......

I personally think it's none of their business when and how I'm using my power ..... as long as I'm paying for what I'm using. The smart meter is just another intrusion into my privacy.

interesting, i agree. do you know how the smart meter works? how does it know if a dryer or a toaster is using power? i suppose this is only a matter of time as all devices will soon have communication chips installed once ipv6 is used

SassyLady
07-29-2010, 01:24 AM
interesting, i agree. do you know how the smart meter works? how does it know if a dryer or a toaster is using power? i suppose this is only a matter of time as all devices will soon have communication chips installed once ipv6 is used

I have no idea how they work .... the rep at PG&E said that they would benefit both the consumer and the company....and I asked how it benefitted me and she said that I would be able to tell how my power was being used so I could "manage" my energy usage better. I told her that my husband built this house and made it energy efficient and that we didn't have A/C and used propane for our heat and that we managed our power pretty good without the smart meter .... so I saw no benefit for me....plus the technology could affect our health.