PDA

View Full Version : Obama, GOP clash over 'doc fix'

red states rule
06-14-2010, 05:23 AM
Remember how Dems promised to keep the cost of Obamacare as low as possible (:laugh2:) they were going to cut the amount Doctor's get in Medicare payments

Also, remember how a memo for Dems only was leaked that explained those "cuts" would be repealed AFTER the Obamacare was passed?

Well, to you Obama supporters - we told you so

President Barack Obama on Saturday called on Senate Republicans to clear the way for a vote allowing doctors to continue getting current Medicare reimbursements, saying that if Congress doesn’t act, some seniors could lose their physicians — but Republicans contested his premise, saying that they weren’t blocking a vote at all but trying to ensure the cost of the doctor payments would be paid for, rather than added to the national debt.

Year after year, Congress must act to prevent automatic cuts to Medicare rates to doctors from kicking in, but Obama charged that some Republicans this year are resisting the so-called doc fix — over fears it would balloon the federal deficit. In his radio and Internet address, Obama says that if the GOP doesn’t allow the vote, doctors would see their Medicare reimbursements go down 21 percent next week — and that would force some doctors to dump seniors from their patient rolls.

“This year, a majority of Congress is willing to prevent a pay cut of 21 percent — a pay cut that would undoubtedly force some doctors to stop seeing Medicare patients altogether. But this time, some Senate Republicans may even block a vote on this issue. After years of voting to defer these cuts, the other party is now willing to walk away from the needs of our doctors and our seniors,” Obama said.

“Now, I realize that simply kicking these cuts down the road another year is not a long-term solution to this problem,” Obama said. “I’m absolutely willing to take the difficult steps necessary to lower the cost of Medicare and put our budget on a more fiscally sustainable path. But I’m not willing to do that by punishing hard-working physicians or the millions of Americans who count on Medicare. That’s just wrong. And that’s why in the short-term, Congress must act to prevent this pay cut to doctors.”

"I’m not sure why he didn’t just call down to the Senate, but the president’s weekly address today doesn’t make sense,” said Don Stewart, spokesman for House Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, who delivered this week’s Republican address. “[T]he Senate is already debating the bill, and … a unanimous consent was reached to continue that debate on Monday.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0610/38449.html