PDA

View Full Version : Whats an Apologist exactly?

chloe
06-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Are Islamic and christian Apologists sorry for something?

PostmodernProphet
06-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Are Islamic and christian Apologists sorry for something?

the only thing we are sorry for is the state of the world....the definition of apologetics....

n. (used with a sing. verb)

1. The branch of theology that is concerned with defending or proving the truth of Christian doctrines.
2. Formal argumentation in defense of something, such as a position or system.

chloe
06-14-2010, 06:01 PM
the only thing we are sorry for is the state of the world....the definition of apologetics....

The definition doesn't seemapologetic, it seems to mean that it is defensive about whatever particular belief it adheres to. Is that right?

DragonStryk72
06-14-2010, 06:47 PM
The definition doesn't seemapologetic, it seems to mean that it is defensive about whatever particular belief it adheres to. Is that right?

Actually, apologetics has been for quite some time, it isn't a new thing. It has nothing to do with apologizing, and can exist in many forms:

Main Entry: apolˇoˇgetˇics
Pronunciation: \-tiks\
Function: noun plural but singular or plural in construction
Date: circa 1733

1 : systematic argumentative discourse in defense (as of a doctrine)
2 : a branch of theology devoted to the defense of the divine origin and authority of Christianity
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/apologetics

So, for instance, you could have constitutional apologetics, those that defend the constitution in debate, and many on this board would fall under that heading. It is not necessarily attached to Christianity, or any religion specifically, but it oftens gets taken that way.

SassyLady
06-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Thanks for the clarification Dragon!

PostmodernProphet
06-14-2010, 10:00 PM
wtf....Dragon posts the same definition I did and gets two "thanks" for it.....what am I, creamed cheese?.....

chloe
06-14-2010, 10:01 PM
wtf....Dragon posts the same definition I did and gets two "thanks" for it.....what am I, creamed cheese?.....

I thanked you !!!

DragonStryk72
06-15-2010, 12:40 AM

hey, cream cheese is awesome!

PostmodernProphet
06-15-2010, 07:15 AM
I thanked you !!!

interesting....it wasn't on my screen before, now it is.....