PDA

View Full Version : WTF? 6 votes apiece?

jimnyc
06-15-2010, 08:42 AM
This story caught my eye because the city is 2 towns over from me, about 5 minutes away. 30,000 people living in the city and half of them are Hispanic. Nonetheless, mostly white voters do the voting, so they figured they would equal things out by allowing each resident to vote 6 times. Rather than "get the vote out" to the majority of Hispanic residents, they just change the rules of voting!

Residents get 6 votes each in suburban NY election

PORT CHESTER, N.Y. – Arthur Furano voted early — five days before Election Day. And he voted often, flipping the lever six times for his favorite candidate.

Furano cast multiple votes on the instructions of a federal judge and the U.S. Department of Justice as part of a new election system crafted to help boost Hispanic representation.

Voters in Port Chester, 25 miles northeast of New York City, are electing village trustees for the first time since the federal government alleged in 2006 that the existing election system was unfair.

Although the village of about 30,000 residents is nearly half Hispanic, no Latino had ever been elected to any of the six trustee seats, which until now were chosen in a conventional at-large election. Most voters were white, and white candidates always won.

Federal Judge Stephen Robinson said that violated the Voting Rights Act, and he approved a remedy suggested by village officials: a system called cumulative voting, in which residents get six votes each to apportion as they wish among the candidates. He rejected a government proposal to break the village into six districts, including one that took in heavily Hispanic areas.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100615/ap_on_el_st_lo/us_voting_rights_election

Insein
06-15-2010, 08:45 AM
This is legal how?

Gaffer
06-15-2010, 09:01 AM
This is legal how?

Because he's the judge legislature.

HogTrash
06-15-2010, 09:03 AM
This is legal how?It is made legal by the rules of Political Correctness.

Nukeman
06-15-2010, 09:24 AM
It is made legal by the rules of Political Correctness.

Ohhhh Christ you have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

red states rule
06-15-2010, 11:13 AM
How will Dems win elections - given the voter anger across the country? The Obama Justice Dept and idiot Judges who ignore the law

PORT CHESTER, N.Y. – Arthur Furano voted early — five days before Election Day. And he voted often, flipping the lever six times for his favorite candidate.

Furano cast multiple votes on the instructions of a federal judge and the U.S. Department of Justice as part of a new election system crafted to help boost Hispanic representation.

Voters in Port Chester, 25 miles northeast of New York City, are electing village trustees for the first time since the federal government alleged in 2006 that the existing election system was unfair. The election ends Tuesday and results are expected late Tuesday night.

Although the village of about 30,000 residents is nearly half Hispanic, no Latino had ever been elected to any of the six trustee seats, which until now were chosen in a conventional at-large election. Most voters were white, and white candidates always won.

Federal Judge Stephen Robinson said that violated the Voting Rights Act, and he approved a remedy suggested by village officials: a system called cumulative voting, in which residents get six votes each to apportion as they wish among the candidates. He rejected a government proposal to break the village into six districts, including one that took in heavily Hispanic areas.

Furano and his wife, Gloria Furano, voted Thursday.

"That was very strange," Arthur Furano, 80, said after voting. "I'm not sure I liked it. All my life, I've heard, 'one man, one vote.'"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100615/ap_on_el_st_lo/us_voting_rights_election

cat slave
06-15-2010, 11:28 AM
And who thinks this rape of our election process will not spread???

SpidermanTUba
06-15-2010, 11:31 AM
How will Dems win elections - given the voter anger across the country? The Obama Justice Dept and idiot Judges who ignore the law

If everyone goes in and casts all 6 votes for one candidate each - how would this actually change anything?

Seems to me they should break it into 6 districts or 5 districts and 1 at large.

Nukeman
06-15-2010, 11:33 AM

It has already spread. this has been SOP for chicago style plitics for decades. The dead can vote a number of times don'tcha know!!!!

red states rule
06-15-2010, 12:34 PM
So much for the one person - one vote court ruling.

Next up, Obama and the Justice Depaartment will have In God We Trust replaced with In ACORN We Trust on our money

KarlMarx
06-15-2010, 12:54 PM
It is made legal by the rules of Political Correctness.
Gotta agree with you on this one, HT... this is an outrage. And a court came up with this nonsense, too. That makes it even more disconcerting.

SpidermanTUba
06-15-2010, 01:02 PM

One person one vote means one person per vote per candidate - there are 6 seats, each voters gets 6 votes. Its an unconventional system, but I fail to see how its not fair.

SpidermanTUba
06-15-2010, 01:03 PM

Next up, Obama and the Justice Depaartment will have In God We Trust replaced with In ACORN We Trust on our money

Voters in Port Chester, 25 miles northeast of New York City, are electing village trustees for the first time since the federal government alleged in 2006 that the existing election system was unfair.Hey who was President in 2006?

revelarts
06-15-2010, 01:11 PM
is this real?!

red states rule
06-15-2010, 01:20 PM

Dems are in panic mode as November gets closer and closer. Look at how Dems are trying to overturn the election of Mr Green in SC

Dems will stop at nothing to ensure the vote comes out the way they want it and Judges are going to be a key to making sure that happens no matter how the people vote

Insein
06-15-2010, 01:26 PM
Hey who was President in 2006?

Who ran the Congress?

revelarts
06-15-2010, 01:32 PM
Vote tampering has gone nuts in this country, God help us. The countries gone nuts.

6 votes and dead people voting on the left, computer fraud and name stripping on the right.
God have mercy.

sybarite
06-15-2010, 05:22 PM
It has already spread. this has been SOP for chicago style plitics for decades. The dead can vote a number of times don'tcha know!!!!

...and your dog!!

DragonStryk72
06-15-2010, 06:21 PM
If everyone goes in and casts all 6 votes for one candidate each - how would this actually change anything?

Seems to me they should break it into 6 districts or 5 districts and 1 at large.

See, here I agree with you. Same problem, different day. Increasing the number of votes per person does nothing, it only increases the number, but the ratios will remain the same. They should have gone with the suggestion in the article of breaking it down into 6 districts, which with 30,000 people is understandable.

The other optimal solution would be to get the latino population to get out there and vote in greater number, because obviously that's got to be a main component of the problem. If you aren't voting, you have no right to complain about the candidates you aren't voting for getting into office.

I do like the idea of the early voting, though. That is a solid measure that makes it easier for two income families, and those who work during polling times a vastly better chance to get in and vote.

SpidermanTUba
06-16-2010, 01:43 AM
Who ran the Congress?

The Democrats.

Now guess who runs the Justice Department.

SpidermanTUba
06-16-2010, 01:45 AM
The other optimal solution would be to get the latino population to get out there and vote in greater number, because obviously that's got to be a main component of the problem.

That's not necessarily true for an at-large election. If the majority of the village is white and everyone always votes along racial lines, then all 6 at-large seats would be white all the time, even if everyone voted.

red states rule
06-16-2010, 05:11 AM
That's not necessarily true for an at-large election. If the majority of the village is white and everyone always votes along racial lines, then all 6 at-large seats would be white all the time, even if everyone voted.

Since when does the Voters Rights Act demand "equal outcomes"?

DragonStryk72
06-16-2010, 06:39 AM

As per the article, some of the proposed districts are mainly hispanic in population, and if they would split it along the district lines, then they would definitely see some hispanic leaders come to the forefront. Making the voting process more complicated really doesn't help anyone, it's just makes each vote worth less.

More pointedly, the hispanic voter's need to get themselves out to vote, because that's actually the main problem, is that they are obviously not voting, comprising half the population by themselves.

Gaffer
06-16-2010, 06:56 AM
Half the population is hispanic. That means more than half that hispanic population are illegals, so they are trying to work out a way for the illegals to get their vote in and counted.

As I've said before voting fraud, corruption and intimidation will be rampant this year, which is why the dems feel confident after screwing over the people. They are getting the judges ready to turn over elections that don't go their way. It's a well oiled, well funded, machine.

Insein
06-16-2010, 09:08 AM
The Democrats.

Now guess who runs the Justice Department.

Liberals. Just like every other Washington Bureaucracy.

SpidermanTUba
06-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Liberals. Just like every other Washington Bureaucracy.

Liberals ran the Justice department in 2006 when GW was President?

Were you born stupid or did it happen later in life?

SpidermanTUba
06-16-2010, 09:29 AM
Since when does the Voters Rights Act demand "equal outcomes"?

It doesn't.

If you can't see the problem with a nearly half hispanic town never - ever - being able to elect a hispanic trustee, then you might consider remedial education.

SpidermanTUba
06-16-2010, 09:34 AM
As per the article, some of the proposed districts are mainly hispanic in population, and if they would split it along the district lines, then they would definitely see some hispanic leaders come to the forefront. Making the voting process more complicated really doesn't help anyone, it's just makes each vote worth less.

More pointedly, the hispanic voter's need to get themselves out to vote, because that's actually the main problem, is that they are obviously not voting, comprising half the population by themselves.

Why do you assume they aren't voting? If they comprise 49% of the voting population and whites 51%, and everyone shows up to vote, and everyone votes along racial lines in an at large election, whites will win all 6 seats.

DragonStryk72
06-16-2010, 01:43 PM
Why do you assume they aren't voting? If they comprise 49% of the voting population and whites 51%, and everyone shows up to vote, and everyone votes along racial lines in an at large election, whites will win all 6 seats.

so then, you're saying that literally every single person, white and non-white alike, are only voting for whites (asides the the hispanics?)? Given that I myself am a New Yorker born and raised, and I'll vote for whoever has the right message, regardless of race, I can't imagine that every single person in the whole town is voting racially. we're talking having to drum up, given your example, 600 votes (1% of 30,000 being 300).

And again, redoing the districts would accomplish the goal without screwing around with the voting.

revelarts
06-16-2010, 03:49 PM

so if the situation was reversed then the whites would need some help making sure whites where in positions of power.

It may be true that getting elected in a majority white area is probably more of a challenge for Hispanics or other minorities but it doesn't necessarily preclude them from being elected either. the USA is Majority white but to everyone's shock we've got a African American/mixed raced president. I live in VA, several years ago it elected Doug Wilder a Black man as governor, the states mostly white only about 20% black. Bill Richardson the current (?)Hispanic Gov of New Mexico won in a state where it's still over 65% white.

No way to no what the racial climate is in that small area is but I'd like to hope that race isn't the deciding factor for over half the locals on either side.

but 6 votes is just stupid.

Abbey Marie
06-16-2010, 03:52 PM
Hey who was President in 2006?

Gee, I didn't know that the town of Port Chester had a President. :rolleyes:

Binky
06-16-2010, 04:36 PM

Of course it will. All lib behavior spreads like wild fires...This is no exception. Pretty liberal with their voting method, I'd say....:eek:

red states rule
06-16-2010, 06:37 PM
It doesn't.

If you can't see the problem with a nearly half hispanic town never - ever - being able to elect a hispanic trustee, then you might consider remedial education.

So in the silly world of liberalsim you live in, only hispanics can represent hispanics

Is that what you are bellowing?

SpidermanTUba
06-16-2010, 07:11 PM
so then, you're saying that literally every single person, white and non-white alike, are only voting for whites (asides the the hispanics?)? Given that I myself am a New Yorker born and raised, and I'll vote for whoever has the right message, regardless of race, I can't imagine that every single person in the whole town is voting racially. we're talking having to drum up, given your example, 600 votes (1% of 30,000 being 300).

And again, redoing the districts would accomplish the goal without screwing around with the voting.

You might find this hard to believe, but this case has nothing to do with what you would do.

Redoing the districts does sound logical but perhaps the people of Port Chester prefer the at large system.

SpidermanTUba
06-16-2010, 07:14 PM
so if the situation was reversed then the whites would need some help making sure whites where in positions of power.

Yes.

It may be true that getting elected in a majority white area is probably more of a challenge for Hispanics or other minorities but it doesn't necessarily preclude them from being elected either.
It did for Port Chester.

the USA is Majority white but to everyone's shock we've got a African American/mixed raced president.
The suit wasn't about the USA as a whole, it was about the town of Port Chester. If Hispanics had been elected in the past under the exact same system, the suit never would have happened because it would have had no basis.

SpidermanTUba
06-16-2010, 07:14 PM
So in the silly world of liberalsim you live in, only hispanics can represent hispanics
Sure, that's exactly what I said, whatever makes you go away faster.

red states rule
06-16-2010, 07:16 PM
Sure, that's exactly what I said, whatever makes you go away faster.

At least you admit you are a racist bigot

SpidermanTUba
06-16-2010, 07:20 PM
At least you admit you are a racist bigot

At least you admit you're a rapist.

red states rule
06-16-2010, 07:25 PM
At least you admit you're a rapist.

So long ST. This time for three days

DragonStryk72
06-16-2010, 08:15 PM
You might find this hard to believe, but this case has nothing to do with what you would do.

Redoing the districts does sound logical but perhaps the people of Port Chester prefer the at large system.

Yeah, but the whole point of having "leaders" is for them to do and say what needs to be said, and do what needs to be done. This argument pretty much says to me, "Well, yeah sure you're right, but I mean, how much can we expect?"

It does nothing to address the situation at hand, and really, it will only make the whole process more confused.

NightTrain
06-17-2010, 07:49 PM
So long ST. This time for three days

:coffee:

HogTrash
06-17-2010, 08:06 PM
Ohhhh Christ you have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!So you don't believe an order by a federal judge of the U.S. Department of Justice to allow this 6 vote exception for the purpose of racial equality has anything to do with Political Correctness huh?

Why am I not surprised?!...Is it any wonder our nation is in such a hell of a mess?! :laugh2: