PDA

View Full Version : Clinton Says Her Southern Twang a Virtue

stephanie
04-27-2007, 01:58 PM
:coffee:

Apr 27 02:09 PM US/Eastern

GREENVILLE, S.C. (AP) - Democratic presidential hopeful Hillary Rodham Clinton said Friday she sees her sometimes Southern accent as a virtue.
"I think America is ready for a multilingual president," Clinton said during a campaign stop at a charter school in Greenville, S.C.

The New York senator—who said she's been thinking about critics who've suggested that she tried to put on a fake Southern accent in Selma, Ala.—noted that she's split her life between Arkansas, Illinois and the East Coast.

Clinton added a Southern lilt to her voice last week when addressing a civil rights group in New York City headed by the Rev. Al Sharpton. On Monday, dealing with a microphone glitch at a fundraiser for young donors, she quoted former slave and underground railroad leader Harriet Tubman.

The two episodes prompted some ribbing in the media and hatched more than a few humorous YouTube video clips.

Clinton is a linguistic polyglot—a Chicago native turned New York resident who works in Washington and spent two decades living in Arkansas when her husband, Bill Clinton, was governor.

But observers have long noted her tendency to speak Southern primarily in front of black audiences, as she did with Sharpton last week and at a civil rights commemoration in Selma in March.

All the Democrats are vying for the support of black voters—a crucial constituency especially in the early voting state of South Carolina. In 2004, black voters comprised nearly 50 percent of the state's Democratic primary turnout.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D8OP3PA00&show_article=1

Pale Rider
04-27-2007, 02:37 PM
Southern twang.... shit.... her twang is about as authentic as a three dollar bill.

TheStripey1
04-27-2007, 03:24 PM
I always thought it was called a southern drawl... oh well... doesn't matter to me anyway, I'm not going to vote for her...

glockmail
04-27-2007, 03:41 PM
Southern twang.... shit.... her twang is about as authentic as a three dollar bill. Shit-fire! She's never been around real southeners. Surely don't.

Mr. P
04-27-2007, 03:44 PM
I always thought it was called a southern drawl... oh well... doesn't matter to me anyway, I'm not going to vote for her...

Well, I guarantee this, if she's trying to get Black votes, coming off with a southern drawl or twang ain't the way to do it.

glockmail
04-27-2007, 03:59 PM
Well, I guarantee this, if she's trying to get Black votes, coming off with a southern drawl or twang ain't the way to do it.
Maybe she can put a Confederate Flag on her lawn like all us Southeners supposedly do. :laugh2:

Mr. P
04-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Maybe she can put a Confederate Flag on her lawn like all us Southeners supposedly do. :laugh2:

And on her car as she drives around the campaign trail.

glockmail
04-27-2007, 04:08 PM
And on her car as she drives around the campaign trail. You mean her pickup? :laugh2:

loosecannon
04-27-2007, 04:10 PM
Weeell. I will agree it is probably her best virtue.

But I never heard anybody call it a twang before.

Mr. P
04-27-2007, 04:11 PM
You mean her pickup? :laugh2:

Yup, the pickup, we call em cars, you know that. I hope she doesn't forget the rifle rack, or the NASCAR sticker. :laugh2:

Hobbit
04-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Twang is a sound a guitar can make. Drawl is the only correct way to speak English, and I've heard Korean immigrants less than one year off the boat with better drawl than her.

Mr. P
04-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Weeell. I will agree it is probably her best virtue.

But I never heard anybody call it a twang before.

"twang" is not an uncommon description, usually used by a yank.

glockmail
04-27-2007, 04:20 PM
Yup, the pickup, we call em cars, you know that. I hope she doesn't forget the rifle rack, or the NASCAR sticker. :laugh2:
Sure don't, we call 'em trucks. But a soda is a coke, even if its a Pepsi or a Mt. Dew. :laugh2:

Mr. P
04-27-2007, 04:28 PM
Sure don't, we call 'em trucks. But a soda is a coke, even if its a Pepsi or a Mt. Dew. :laugh2:

I know...all true, and tea is supposed to be sweet!

glockmail
04-27-2007, 04:32 PM
I know...all true, and tea is supposed to be sweet! Tea is always cold and sweet, in a never ending cup. If you order it unsweet you're a yankee. Best with loaded fries or dirty rice, and dog with chili and slaw.

Like bein' in high cotton!

Mr. P
04-27-2007, 04:50 PM
Tea is always cold and sweet, in a never ending cup. If you order it unsweet you're a yankee. Best with loaded fries or dirty rice, and dog with chili and slaw.

Toss in some BBQ and we're talkin. :laugh2:

glockmail
04-27-2007, 04:59 PM
Toss in some BBQ and we're talkin. :laugh2: Eastern or Lexington? Toss in some hush puppies?

Abbey Marie
04-27-2007, 05:13 PM
Tea is always cold and sweet, in a never ending cup. If you order it unsweet you're a yankee. Best with loaded fries or dirty rice, and dog with chili and slaw.

What if you're a diabetic southerner?

glockmail
04-27-2007, 05:20 PM
What if you're a diabetic southerner? Drink diet coke, of course! :poke:

Mr. P
04-27-2007, 05:33 PM
Eastern or Lexington? Toss in some hush puppies?

I like em both! The Sauce has gotta slowly run to yer elbows and drip from yer chin. Puppies too, yes!

I don't care much for S.C. mustard base sauce though. You?

glockmail
04-27-2007, 05:37 PM
I like em both! The Sauce has gotta slowly run to yer elbows and drip from yer chin. Puppies too, yes!

I don't care much for S.C. mustard base sauce though. You? I don't eat when I'm in SC. Too many shagnasties.

Nienna
04-27-2007, 07:10 PM

There are twangs and drawls... all Southern accents aren't the same. :)

Mr. P
04-27-2007, 07:25 PM
I don't eat when I'm in SC. Too many shagnasties.

I've had some great food in SC. The best Prime rib from a restaurant ever (except for what I cook) at the Holiday Inn on Hilton Head. A fabulous blackened Red snapper in Charleston. But the BBQ sucks statewide! IMO

glockmail
04-29-2007, 07:36 PM
I've had some great food in SC. The best Prime rib from a restaurant ever (except for what I cook) at the Holiday Inn on Hilton Head. A fabulous blackened Red snapper in Charleston. But the BBQ sucks statewide! IMO
The best state for food is (surprisingly) NJ. Never had a bad meal there.

Dilloduck
04-29-2007, 07:54 PM

Just got back from Jersey and I have to agree. I had some damn good food there. Huge portions of everything too.

Nuc
04-29-2007, 08:15 PM
All this Southern crap in the White House, it's like we lost the Civil War!

Dilloduck
04-29-2007, 08:57 PM
All this Southern crap in the White House, it's like we lost the Civil War!

Texas ain't the South ! :cool:

Mr. P
04-29-2007, 09:39 PM

I can't remember having any bad food in NJ.

Abbey Marie
04-29-2007, 10:34 PM

You've obviously never eaten in Newark or Camden.

glockmail
04-30-2007, 03:43 PM
You've obviously never eaten in Newark or Camden. I have a fond memory of missing my connecting flight at Newark Airport due to a winter storm, having to stay overnight at some place, sitting down to dinner at the hotel and being waited on by a sweet old lady, who got me a scotch and one of the best steaks I had in a while.

Abbey Marie
04-30-2007, 03:46 PM
I have a fond memory of missing my connecting flight at Newark Airport due to a winter storm, having to stay overnight at some place, sitting down to dinner at the hotel and being waited on by a sweet old lady, who got me a scotch and one of the best steaks I had in a while.

Hotels tend to have uniform fare and are not often indicative of a typical meal in the locale.

manu1959
04-30-2007, 03:54 PM
Southern Twang.................get it....

glockmail
04-30-2007, 04:17 PM
Hotels tend to have uniform fare and are not often indicative of a typical meal in the locale.
As I recall it was a 2 star hotel chain and the meal was unexpectedly good.

Abbey Marie
04-30-2007, 04:32 PM
As I recall it was a 2 star hotel chain and the meal was unexpectedly good.

Yup, a hotel.

I have both lived and worked in NJ, and still go to the beach there frequently. It's much like any other state; there's good and bad. The absence of a world-class city within its borders pretty much ensures that some other states will have superior restaurants.