PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska town to vote on law preventing illegal aliens from working, renting

Little-Acorn
06-17-2010, 11:35 PM
Arizona's initiative is inexorably spreading to more and more areas. Now the town of Fremont, NE is about to vote on a proposed ordinance that requires people applying for jobs or applying to rent a house, apartment etc. to provide proof of legal residency in the United States.

Be prepared for the usual hysteria over police stopping people on the streets to demand "Your papers, please!", from people who know the cops can't do that but will say it anyway. Plus all the other fibs common to the opponents of such measures.

Go, Nebraska! :)

-----------------------------------------

http://www.1011now.com/home/headlines/96582854.html

Breaking Down Fremont's Proposed Illegal Immigration Ordinance
Fremont, Neb.

Posted: 1:26 PM Jun 17, 2010
Updated: 10:27 PM Jun 17, 2010
Reporter: Chad Silber
Email Address: chad.silber@1011now.com

Illegal immigration is causing a rift between community members in Fremont.

Monday, voters will decide on arguably the most important issue in the city's history -- a proposed ordinance that would prohibit both hiring and renting to illegal immigrants.

Next week's vote is believed to be the nation's first on an anti-illegal immigration topic since the passage of the immigration law in Arizona.

But the idea of the ordinance began years ago.

In the Summer of 2008, the Fremont City Council began debate on an issue some say has been plaguing the city for years: illegal immigration. After a tie-breaking vote by the Mayor to not act on the ordinance, some community members were determined to put the issue back on the table.

Jerry Hart, Fremont petitioner, says, "I thought it wasn't done fairly and that people deserve to have a vote."

John Wiegert, Fremont petitioner, says, "If our federal government isn't going to do anything and if our city government isn't going to do anything, we're going to do something about it."

Over the next few months, three petitioners gathered 4,100 Fremont signatures demanding the people have a say. The State Supreme Court ruled in favor of the petitioners and said the issue would go to a community-wide vote.

The ordinance would make it illegal to rent to or hire an illegal immigrant.

Kris Kobach, UMKC Law Professor representing the petitioners, says, "It will not make it impossible for an illegal alien to be in Fremont but it will make it very difficult to live or work in Fremont."

Which is the exact purpose of the petitioners.

Wiegert says, "If you don't have a law to stop these people from coming in here, they're just going to keep coming and we do not want Fremont being labeled as a safe-haven city."

But while petitioners were gathering signatures, opponents were organizing as well.

Michelle Knapp, member of One Fremont, One Future, says, "We are against that ordinance because we believe it is bad for Fremont."

Krista Kjeldgaard, member of One Fremont, One Future, says, "Rather than opening up dialog and opening up discussion among people in our diverse groups, I think it will put a lot of walls up."

When Fremont voters fill out the ballot, they're essentially marking the end to a long, drawn out process that many believe people all over the country will be keeping an eye on.

Kobach says, "I imagine that people all across the nation will be watching Fremont to see how the illegal immigration issue plays out."

Knowing the future of Fremont could be a preview for what's to come elsewhere.

SassyLady
06-18-2010, 12:04 AM
I like it.

PostmodernProphet
06-18-2010, 06:41 AM
I expect if it's proper for cities to declare themselves "safe haven" cities, it's also proper for cities to declare themselves "non haven" cities.......

Little-Acorn
06-18-2010, 11:28 AM
it's also proper for cities to declare themselves "non haven" cities.......

The Fed govt already did that, by passing laws requiring visas etc. for people to be in this country. They did that many decades ago.

Some cities think they can pass laws to ignore that Fed law. They are mistaken, since the Fed law is constitutional. And the law the city passes saying otherwose, changes nothing.

HogTrash
06-18-2010, 11:39 AM
I expect if it's proper for cities to declare themselves "safe haven" cities, it's also proper for cities to declare themselves "non haven" cities.......I don't understand how any city can declare itself a "safe haven" for law breakers...After all, isn't "harboring a criminal" a crime in itself?

HogTrash
06-18-2010, 11:45 AM
Independent city and state initiatives concerning illegal immigration seem to be contagious.

Obama's plans for legalizing 20 million new democrat voters by way of amnesty may be in jeapardy.

:clap:

cat slave
06-20-2010, 01:16 AM
I don't understand how any city can declare itself a "safe haven" for law breakers...After all, isn't "harboring a criminal" a crime in itself?

Good point!

I heard birth right citizenship was next on Arizonas list.
About time! Stop this anchor baby gig.

PostmodernProphet
06-20-2010, 05:33 AM
Good point!

I heard birth right citizenship was next on Arizonas list.
About time! Stop this anchor baby gig.

???....how can a state declare who is a US citizen?.....the US constitution already defines that.....

cat slave
06-20-2010, 12:49 PM
There is so much here SO messed up the lines are disappearing...not by accident of course but by intent.

namvet
06-20-2010, 01:12 PM
Ft. Hancock, TX: Feds Abandon Americans to Mexican Violence

meanwhile on the front line...............

OXs8gRI70oo

HogTrash
06-20-2010, 08:39 PM
Political correctness has now been replaced with a desire by corrupt politicians to expand their voting base,

as the #1 reason for governments failure to enforce immigration laws and secure the Mexican/American border.

Unless American citizens get a grip on this situation and do something about it, we are gonna be so damn screwed.