PDA

View Full Version : Environmental Non-Profit came to my house last night

darin
06-18-2010, 05:12 AM
I can't recall the name of the group, but the conversation went like this:

(her words in bold)

"Hello there!" to me and my wife, as we sat on our front porch.

"Hey! How are ya?" I replied.

"Great! Thanks for asking"

"What can I do for you?"

"I'm representing (insert name of place) - we're a grass-roots, non-profit who has had 24 successful campaigns"

"What's a campain and what makes it successful?"

"Well, for instance, we stopped off-shore oil drilling in the great lakes!"

"Why woud you want to do that?"

"Oh - you support that?"

"depends - but I what can I help you with now?"

"Well, we're seeking support and donations to stop bottled-water companies from taking michigan water and selling it out of state."

"Why would you want to do that?"

"They are selling it a HUGE profits!"

"...and employing lots of people"

"No, the average place only employs five!"

"But those 'huge profits' are being taxed, right?"

"I don't know."

"Michigan has a state income tax; I've VERY sure those huge profits are providing at least 5% return in state taxes. Also - those 'only five' employees sure like spending part of those huge profits on living expenses. Oh - and I bet those companies are paying electricity bills, too - that makes money for the utility companies...and if they lease property...and the bottle-suppliers..."

"Well, we just think Michigan water should be for those in Michigan - not sold out of state"

"That's pretty selfish, isn't it? I mean, ultimately?"

But they are taking OUR resources and making huge profits on it!

"Maybe you should open your OWN bottled-water company?"

"Ya know, I'm just going to leave...."

"Hey - I'm sorry. I think you're nice. I'm not arguing with you - just seeking answers as to why you'd want to stop private business."

"Well..okay...have a good night..."

I wish I could have recorded/video'd the exchange. Mary - on her 2nd glass of wine - was laughing out loud every time I'd point/counter-point her.

red states rule
06-18-2010, 05:17 AM
You have proven once again that facts to a liberal is like sunshine to a vampire

Yea, close down that business and add people to the unemployment line. Forget the taxes the government collects from the business and the employees. Forget about the economic activity the employees generate when they spend their money

It is all about the enviro wackos and how they demand other people live their lives

Trinity
06-18-2010, 09:29 AM
I can't recall the name of the group, but the conversation went like this:

(her words in bold)

"Hello there!" to me and my wife, as we sat on our front porch.

"Hey! How are ya?" I replied.

"Great! Thanks for asking"

"What can I do for you?"

"I'm representing (insert name of place) - we're a grass-roots, non-profit who has had 24 successful campaigns"

"What's a campain and what makes it successful?"

"Well, for instance, we stopped off-shore oil drilling in the great lakes!"

"Why woud you want to do that?"

"Oh - you support that?"

"depends - but I what can I help you with now?"

"Well, we're seeking support and donations to stop bottled-water companies from taking michigan water and selling it out of state."

"Why would you want to do that?"

"They are selling it a HUGE profits!"

"...and employing lots of people"

"No, the average place only employs five!"

"But those 'huge profits' are being taxed, right?"

"I don't know."

"Michigan has a state income tax; I've VERY sure those huge profits are providing at least 5% return in state taxes. Also - those 'only five' employees sure like spending part of those huge profits on living expenses. Oh - and I bet those companies are paying electricity bills, too - that makes money for the utility companies...and if they lease property...and the bottle-suppliers..."

"Well, we just think Michigan water should be for those in Michigan - not sold out of state"

"That's pretty selfish, isn't it? I mean, ultimately?"

But they are taking OUR resources and making huge profits on it!

"Maybe you should open your OWN bottled-water company?"

"Ya know, I'm just going to leave...."

"Hey - I'm sorry. I think you're nice. I'm not arguing with you - just seeking answers as to why you'd want to stop private business."

"Well..okay...have a good night..."

I wish I could have recorded/video'd the exchange. Mary - on her 2nd glass of wine - was laughing out loud every time I'd point/counter-point her.

:laugh2: Nice