PDA

View Full Version : 11 soldiers arrested in home invasion

LiberalNation
04-27-2007, 03:36 PM
That was mean.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070427/ap_on_re_us/soldiers_home_attack;_ylt=Aof.LDndaRjlvj4USk4UwORv zwcF

WATERTOWN, N.Y. - Eleven Fort Drum soldiers burst into a fellow soldier's home and attacked him and his wife, kicking him repeatedly and punching her in the face, authorities said Friday.

The attack late Wednesday was in retaliation for the earlier arrest of another soldier, state police said. The 11 were charged with burglary and one also was charged with second-degree assault for allegedly hitting the soldier's wife with a bottle.

Carl Laws, 22, and his wife, Emily Hernandez, 21, were released from Samaritan Medical Center after treatment for multiple cuts and bruises.

Additional charges are possible after the case is presented to a grand jury, state police investigator Randy Pound said.

The soldier who had been arrested earlier did not take part in the attack, Pound said. That arrest stemmed from a complaint made by the couple involving the alleged violation of an order of protection, authorities said. No further details were given.

Fort Drum spokesman Lt. Col. Paul Fitzpatrick confirmed that all 11 soldiers are members of the 10th Mountain Division stationed there.

Although the investigation and prosecution are being handled by civilian authorities, Army officials will review the case.

"We support the investigation," Fitzpatrick said. "The Army does not tolerate this kind of conduct. ... It is totally out of character with our training and values."

Charged with burglary were Tyson Tucker, 20; Martin Johnson, 22; Jason Cofield, 25; Erica Hodges, 19; Shavonn Wynne, 22; Vianka DelCid, 19; Tyrone Lihpai, 22; James Skinner, 27; Carlton Causey, 28; Randi Bush, 18; and Shalota Williams, 22. Wynne was also charged with second-degree assault for allegedly hitting the soldier's wife.

Williams was turned over to her military superiors; the other 10 were ordered held in the Jefferson County jail on $5,000 bail each.

Fort Drum is about 75 miles north of Syracuse. The 17,000-member 10th Mountain Division, which is based there, has been one of the mainstays of Army deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan. Fitzpatrick said he did not believe any of the arrested soldiers had been recently deployed to either place.

darin
04-27-2007, 03:38 PM
It'll be a cold day in hell before post any of the THOUSANDS Of good-news stories about Soldiers...am I wrong?

LiberalNation
04-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Hey show me some good stories and I'll post em. Bad news sells in the media and that's a lot of what they put out. i can't help that.

darin
04-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Hey show me some good stories and I'll post em. Bad news sells in the media and that's a lot of what they put out. i can't help that.

wow - you're right...can't even get much love from ARMY sources :)

http://www.armytimes.com/news/news/

diuretic
04-27-2007, 08:14 PM
It's interesting. I'm wondering if the Army has a gang culture problem. I have to praise the response of the Army though, they're not shying away from it.

Kathianne
04-27-2007, 08:36 PM
It'll be a cold day in hell before post any of the THOUSANDS Of good-news stories about Soldiers...am I wrong?

I'm still trying to figure out why the story was post worthy? Seems like a domestic/criminal problem to me? I'm missing something?

LiberalNation
04-27-2007, 08:41 PM
Every news story is post worthy. You don't hafta comment if you don't wana ya know.

diuretic
04-27-2007, 10:33 PM
It's very interesting. I read a piece where the Army in particular is admitting it's having problems because it lowered the standards for recruiting and now it's worried about the aftermath. Same thing happened in our Army, we lowered the standards and now we have links between Army personnel and outlaw motorcycle gangs.

Abbey Marie
04-27-2007, 11:28 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why the story was post worthy? Seems like a domestic/criminal problem to me? I'm missing something?

A-G-E-N-D-A

diuretic
04-28-2007, 12:17 AM
A-G-E-N-D-A

Paranoid are we:? :lame2: :lol:

Abbey Marie
04-28-2007, 01:05 AM
Paranoid are we:? :lame2: :lol:

:lame2: :lol: :rolleyes:

I don't know, are you? I am just very aware of people's, shall we say, "tendencies".

Gaffer
04-28-2007, 09:39 AM
It's very interesting. I read a piece where the Army in particular is admitting it's having problems because it lowered the standards for recruiting and now it's worried about the aftermath. Same thing happened in our Army, we lowered the standards and now we have links between Army personnel and outlaw motorcycle gangs.

where did you read this piece? Our army hasn't lowered any standards. Since your country is full of liberals I imagine its much harder to get recruits.

diuretic
04-28-2007, 10:41 AM
:lame2: :lol: :rolleyes:

I don't know, are you? I am just very aware of people's, shall we say, "tendencies".

It's good to be aware, for sure, no point in walking around with your eyes closed. And the odd conspiracy theory is okay but when it become reflexive, time to get it checked out.

diuretic
04-28-2007, 10:42 AM
where did you read this piece? Our army hasn't lowered any standards. Since your country is full of liberals I imagine its much harder to get recruits.

When was the last time you were here? R and R during Vietnam?

Quick search - http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-10-09-army-recruiting_x.htm

Trigg
04-28-2007, 05:09 PM

They've actually risen their standards and part of the reason their rates of people re-upping arn't high is because they're telling people not to come back.

Psychoblues
04-29-2007, 10:19 PM
Who is telling "who" not to come back, trigg?

They've actually risen their standards and part of the reason their rates of people re-upping arn't high is because they're telling people not to come back.

This should be an interesting conversation.

diuretic
04-29-2007, 10:25 PM

That's good, it will ameliorate some of the problems but it won't get rid of all of them. Until the problem people quit (I presume they can quit) or get killed, they still have the problems.

Psychoblues
04-29-2007, 10:55 PM
I would substitute your word "ameliorate" with another more appropriate one, "compound".

That's good, it will ameliorate some of the problems but it won't get rid of all of them. Until the problem people quit (I presume they can quit) or get killed, they still have the problems.

Thanks for the gift, diuretic!!!!!!!!

Trigg
04-30-2007, 09:55 AM
Who is telling "who" not to come back, trigg?

This should be an interesting conversation.

The father of a good friend of my son is an Air Force recruter. He and my husband have had conversations about this. According to him and other articles I've read the military is being very picky about who they accept.

Surprised you had to ask though sice we are talking about the US military the "who", I thought, was pretty self explanitory.