PDA

View Full Version : Ultra-Orthodox Jews accused of racism over education demands

abso
06-20-2010, 10:22 AM
Ultra-Orthodox Jews accused of racism over education demands

</EM>
Parents of European descent are refusing to let their daughters attend school with girls of Middle Eastern or North African origin.

<AUTHOR>By Catrina Stewart in Jerusalem
Friday, 18 June 2010

More than 100,000 ultra-Orthodox Jews took to the streets across Israel yesterday for a showdown between religious and secular society over the way the Jewish state runs its education system.

The protests brought central Jerusalem to a standstill as a group of religious parents prepared to go to prison for defying a court order demanding their daughters attend classes with girls of different ethnic origin.
Parents of European, or Ashkenazi, origin do not want their daughters to be educated in the same classroom as schoolgirls of Middle Eastern and North African descent, or Sephardim, claiming that they are not as religious.

http://www.independent.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00395/Pg-28-world-lead-ma_395917t.jpg (http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/ultraorthodox-jews-accused-of-racism-over-education-demands-2003609.html?action=Popup)
EPA
Ultra-Orthodox Jews protest after a court ruling over parents who defied an order that their daughters study with girls of different ethnicity

"I don't want my daughter to be educated with a girl who has a TV at home"
Yakov Litzman, MP United Torah Judaism party

Source:
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/ultraorthodox-jews-accused-of-racism-over-education-demands-2003609.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/middle_east/10338900.stm

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A state founded upon racism, will be divided internally through racism

Insein
06-20-2010, 10:36 AM
Is there a law in Israel that forbids creating a private school system?

abso
06-20-2010, 10:46 AM
Is there a law in Israel that forbids creating a private school system?

That i dont know about....

but if you mean creating private schools for certain type of people, that is called racism as i think, isnt it ?

its like creating schools in USA for white people only, or for black people only, that racism and none can tolerate that....

Nukeman
06-20-2010, 11:44 AM
That i dont know about....

but if you mean creating private schools for certain type of people, that is called racism as i think, isnt it ?

its like creating schools in USA for white people only, or for black people only, that racism and none can tolerate that....

Not really, it is "secularism" not necessarily racism... People by their very nature are prejudiced.. What I mean is they prefer to be with people who are like them in education, ethnicity, social, economic, and family back ground.

MOST people prefer to be with people who are LIKE THEMSELVES. When someone tries to force you to be others you don't normally associate with you that is forcing others values on you... Is that right to do????

If this was a group of Islamist demanding that the Jews be sent to another school and not be taught with their daughter would you be so quick to call them racist....?? This is not about racism and more about thousands of years old conflict that will not be resolved quickly......

abso
06-20-2010, 11:56 AM
Not really, it is "secularism" not necessarily racism... People by their very nature are prejudiced.. What I mean is they prefer to be with people who are like them in education, ethnicity, social, economic, and family back ground.

MOST people prefer to be with people who are LIKE THEMSELVES. When someone tries to force you to be others you don't normally associate with you that is forcing others values on you... Is that right to do????

If this was a group of Islamist demanding that the Jews be sent to another school and not be taught with their daughter would you be so quick to call them racist....?? This is not about racism and more about thousands of years old conflict that will not be resolved quickly......

Yes, and its not me who call them racist, its the israelian court, not me :poke:

so israelians themselfs call this racism and you dont ????

what you are suggesting is the basic definition of racism, to have ceratin type of people who have different origions taught separately is racism,

and its the same thing for having schools for whites and schools for blacks, blacks origions from Africa, so will you demand that your children are only taught with europian decendants, which are the white people ???

and yes i would call an islamist who demand something like that a racist, i call the action itself a racism, so anyone who does it, i call him a racist, i am always clear about my beliefs, i never apply different standards to different people, i judge everyone with the same standards.

Gaffer
06-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Well abso you should be happy, the Israeli government told the orthodox Jews they had to mingle with these people. It's purely secular and has nothing to do with race. As for racial schools over here. There are no whites only schools any more, but there are blacks only schools. Affirmative action completely reversed all the old prejudices here.

The orthodox Jews need to set up private schools.

darin
06-20-2010, 07:04 PM
I support people's right to be racists.