PDA

View Full Version : How do you buy/download music from Itunes into an Ipod???

Little-Acorn
06-20-2010, 06:37 PM
My wife wants to start doing that. All aboveboard, nothing illegal, no freebies, etc.

I have a newer 64-bit system running Windows 7 Home Premium. I downloaded the Itunes software, 92MB worth, and when it was all downloaded, it gave me an error message and said I had a 64-bit system, and so I needed to download the 64-bit software instead. So now I've downloaded the 64-bit software and... noting. I went to the "download music now" section in Itunes, and it told me I needed to first download the Itunes software. Ummm, didn't I just do that? What more is needed???

I know too, that when I ask to download some music, it is bound to ask me for a creidt card number, etc. That's fine, I have the card here, ready and waiting. But... it has never asked me that.

Are these people making it really hard for me to give them my money?

Or is it just me? Been doing computers since the TTL-and-core-plane days, I was a hacker back when "hacker" meant hardware. And I've programmed in everything from C++ to FORTRAN to APL to RPG to Assembly. But I guess I just don't have enough computer smarts to accomplish what 13-year-olds have been doing for years: download tunes to an Ipod.

What, I sound frustrated? Naah..... >:-O

How do you do this, anyway?

DragonStryk72
06-20-2010, 08:15 PM
My wife wants to start doing that. All aboveboard, nothing illegal, no freebies, etc.

I have a newer 64-bit system running Windows 7 Home Premium. I downloaded the Itunes software, 92MB worth, and when it was all downloaded, it gave me an error message and said I had a 64-bit system, and so I needed to download the 64-bit software instead. So now I've downloaded the 64-bit software and... noting. I went to the "download music now" section in Itunes, and it told me I needed to first download the Itunes software. Ummm, didn't I just do that? What more is needed???

I know too, that when I ask to download some music, it is bound to ask me for a creidt card number, etc. That's fine, I have the card here, ready and waiting. But... it has never asked me that.

Are these people making it really hard for me to give them my money?

Or is it just me? Been doing computers since the TTL-and-core-plane days, I was a hacker back when "hacker" meant hardware. And I've programmed in everything from C++ to FORTRAN to APL to RPG to Assembly. But I guess I just don't have enough computer smarts to accomplish what 13-year-olds have been doing for years: download tunes to an Ipod.

What, I sound frustrated? Naah..... >:-O

How do you do this, anyway?

hmm, you should contact their customer support, actually. Likely, it's something that's just being buggy and can be fixed easily, but the people at customer support would be able to tell you more, just remember to have your dxdiag ready, as they'll likely want it to make sure you meet basic requirements.

Little-Acorn
06-20-2010, 09:18 PM
Figured out the roadblock, I think.

When you click to download the 64-bit 92MB whizbang program, you then clock on "Save", not "Run". I had clicked on "Run", it downloaded, and vanished into the ether, as nearly as I can tell, without running. So I downloaded it again, all 92MB, and this time clicked "Save".

It prompted me for a location, I gave it one on my hard disk, it put it there, and later when I looked, super-64-bit-whizbang.exe was right there where I'd told it. Ran it from that location, it hummed and clicked a long time, then the iPod lit up, synced, and we seem to be in business.

Now to actually download some tunes....

DragonStryk72
06-20-2010, 11:08 PM

When you click to download the 64-bit 92MB whizbang program, you then clock on "Save", not "Run". I had clicked on "Run", it downloaded, and vanished into the ether, as nearly as I can tell, without running. So I downloaded it again, all 92MB, and this time clicked "Save".

It prompted me for a location, I gave it one on my hard disk, it put it there, and later when I looked, super-64-bit-whizbang.exe was right there where I'd told it. Ran it from that location, it hummed and clicked a long time, then the iPod lit up, synced, and we seem to be in business.

Also remember that you do not necessarily need to use a credit card. iTunes gift cards are pretty much everywhere these days.

hjmick
06-21-2010, 10:12 AM
And don't forget, you can also burn the CDs in your collection. Most of my 2500 songs on my iPod come from my personal collection. I have less than 250 songs purchased from iTunes.

Sitarro
06-21-2010, 12:44 PM

Did you go to the itunes store, it should be listed on the left side of the page