PDA

View Full Version : Prayer and Fasting Required or Recommended?

chloe
06-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Do most religions practice fasting & praying simultaneously? Is there an enhanced benefit to doing both together?

PostmodernProphet
06-21-2010, 01:06 PM
I don't know if I've ever known anyone who fasted.....I know I have never done it.....not something my denomination pushes....

chloe
06-21-2010, 02:26 PM
I don't know if I've ever known anyone who fasted.....I know I have never done it.....not something my denomination pushes....

They do it alot in Utah, I just wondered if most christian religion do that.

revelarts
06-21-2010, 04:49 PM
I've grew up around mostly Baptist. Fasting was/is done sometimes. During my 20's I was a round mostly pentecostal types where it was/is a regular practice. Fasting is also done in many different ways. From fasting from only specific items like "no sweets or meats" sometimes called a Daniel Fast. To fasting no food and maybe no water for up to 40 days at a time.
In most cases it's something that is self imposed. But often pastors or friends may ask others to fast with them as well. Some churches have a time every year set aside for it as a group.

It's not mandatory but is it encouraged by example Biblically for those with a heart felt pray request. And in cases of prayer for those with demonic problems.

Some people have made it a weekly habit.

Fasting was never commanded in the Bible. In contrast Feasting was commanded in the old testament during several Jewish holidays.

But prayer is commanded in a sense, maybe strongly encouraged is a better way to put it.
Frankly Chloe, some of the most comforting verses in the bible to me are the ones where God speaks to or sends and angel to speak to someone and says something like,

"fear not, your prayers have been heard before God and..."

DragonStryk72
06-21-2010, 04:51 PM
They do it alot in Utah, I just wondered if most christian religion do that.

actually, it's more intrinsic to Mormon teachings. It really doesn't state whether you are supposed to pray while fasting or not, but generally, most do. For other christian religions, fasting is a matter of personal taste, as is prayer during those times.

chloe
06-21-2010, 05:49 PM
I've grew up around mostly Baptist. Fasting was/is done sometimes. During my 20's I was a round mostly pentecostal types where it was/is a regular practice. Fasting is also done in many different ways. From fasting from only specific items like "no sweets or meats" sometimes called a Daniel Fast. To fasting no food and maybe no water for up to 40 days at a time.
In most cases it's something that is self imposed. But often pastors or friends may ask others to fast with them as well. Some churches have a time every year set aside for it as a group.

It's not mandatory but is it encouraged by example Biblically for those with a heart felt pray request. And in cases of prayer for those with demonic problems.

Some people have made it a weekly habit.

Fasting was never commanded in the Bible. In contrast Feasting was commanded in the old testament during several Jewish holidays.

But prayer is commanded in a sense, maybe strongly encouraged is a better way to put it.
Frankly Chloe, some of the most comforting verses in the bible to me are the ones where God speaks to or sends and angel to speak to someone and says something like,

"fear not, your prayers have been heard before God and..."

Do you think angels are real?

chloe
06-21-2010, 05:51 PM
actually, it's more intrinsic to Mormon teachings. It really doesn't state whether you are supposed to pray while fasting or not, but generally, most do. For other christian religions, fasting is a matter of personal taste, as is prayer during those times.

I think eastern religions fast, but I only knew of mormons in the christian religion doing it alot. I guess there are other christian brands that do it as well.

06-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Christ said that some things can only be done with much fasting and prayer. So if you accept that on face value, I'd say it's required if you want the power to do certain things.

Of course, if you don't want that power or divine assistance, I doubt it matters.

Personal experience tellls me there is power in the combination of the two.

chloe
06-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Christ said that some things can only be done with much fasting and prayer. So if you accept that on face value, I'd say it's required if you want the power to do certain things.

Of course, if you don't want that power or divine assistance, I doubt it matters.

Personal experience tellls me there is power in the combination of the two.

I suppose that could be true, but my experience with missionaries who have prayed for non lds people is that its not required and that the results have still been powerful and good.:cool:

revelarts
06-21-2010, 11:56 PM

Yes.

PostmodernProphet
06-22-2010, 06:46 AM

did you know there are only two winged creatures mentioned in the bible, (excluding birds, of course)......cherubim and seraphim....both are described as having three sets of wings, shoulders, waist and feet....the word "angel" simply means messenger, same form as in the word ev-angel-ism, literally "to be a messenger".....there were many instances of people meeting messengers from God in the OT and in all of them they appeared as normal looking people.....

chloe
06-22-2010, 07:01 AM
did you know there are only two winged creatures mentioned in the bible, (excluding birds, of course)......cherubim and seraphim....both are described as having three sets of wings, shoulders, waist and feet....the word "angel" simply means messenger, same form as in the word ev-angel-ism, literally "to be a messenger".....there were many instances of people meeting messengers from God in the OT and in all of them they appeared as normal looking people.....

so that means you could be an angel huh?

PostmodernProphet
06-22-2010, 08:17 AM
heed my message....

bullypulpit
06-27-2010, 09:01 PM
Do most religions practice fasting & praying simultaneously? Is there an enhanced benefit to doing both together?

Having participated in several Tibetan Buddhist rituals involving fasting and meditation/prayer for three days, There seems to be a real synergy between the two. And the effects follow for days or weeks afterwards, in terms of focus and sensitivity to your inner landscape and the way it shapes your reactions to what goes on in your life.