PDA

View Full Version : Dem Underground Shuts Down Criticism Of Obama

red states rule
06-22-2010, 03:19 AM
Looks like the rules that were in place during the Bush years are now repealed. It is desperation time in Liberalville.

This is too damn funny

As you know, Barack Obama is the first Democratic President since DU was created back in 2001. Nearly a year-and-a-half into his administration, it is apparent that having a Democrat in the White House presents new and difficult challenges for the DU community.

The DU Administrators have long been frustrated with the persistent undercurrent of negativity and conflict here, which has been exacerbated by the lack of a common villain in the form of George W. Bush. But we have been reluctant to make changes to the way we run the site out of fear that we might do more harm than good. The problems we face are extraordinarily complicated, and despite (or perhaps because of) nearly a decade of administering this site we tend to be fairly skeptical of our own ability to effect broad-based changes that will improve DU for the majority of our members.

So we have been banging our heads against the wall for a long time trying to figure out what we can or should do to try to make DU "better." We are committed to maintaining Democratic Underground as a community that welcomes a wide range of Democratic and progressive viewpoints. Now that we have a Democratic President, we will remain open to members who are generally critical of him, members who are generally supportive of him, and the majority of members who do not fall neatly into either camp. We considered many possible approaches -- from adding lots of new rules to getting rid of most of them -- and eventually came to realize that the DU rules we already have are actually pretty good. But we do not all share a consistent view of what they mean or how they should be enforced now that the larger political environment has changed.

So, our goal is to get everyone back on the same page. To be clear, we are not promising that all the discussions here are going to be "nicer," or that you will no longer have to read stuff on DU that you find annoying -- in fact, some of that stuff (depending on your point of view) might get worse rather than better. What we are trying to do is to make it more clear where the limits are. In practice, this means moderating will likely be more aggressive in some areas and less aggressive in others. We have no illusions that this approach will make everyone happy. But we hope by managing expectations and better explaining limits, we'll have a few more satisfied people here than we have now.

So after a great deal of consideration we've come up with a proposal to try and make DU a community again.

To be clear: These changes have not been implemented yet. Hopefully we can phase them in over the next couple weeks.

snip

Broad-brush or Extreme Group Attack - When discussing groups of DU members, the following are considered broad-brush group attacks:

- Suggesting that any group of DU members are conservatives, disruptors, or similar.
- Belittling people who are new or have a low post count.
- Suggesting that any group of DU members are not Democrats, liberals, or progressives.
- Suggesting that a particular point of view is required in order to be a Democrat, liberal, or progressive.
- Repeating Republican partisan attacks against Democrats.
- Broadly suggesting that there is no difference between Barack Obama and George W. Bush, or that there is no difference between Democrats and Republicans. (Arguing that specific policies are the same would be permitted.)
- Suggesting that President Obama has perpetrated a "con job" or "fraud," or similarly over-the-top assertions of bad faith.
- Advocating voting against Democrats, or in favor of third-party or GOP candidates.

Inappropriate attacks against Democrats

Inappropriate source
- Websites with a focus on disrupting Democratic Underground and/or smearing DU members.
- Websites with bigoted content (Holocaust skepticism, Jewish conspiracies, and the like).
- Note: Linking to right-wing websites is usually permitted, provided the intent is to expose their agenda rather than agree with it.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x8603151

krisy
06-23-2010, 12:12 AM
:eek:

Talk about your lack of free speech! You'd have to be a screwball to accept all those limitations.

06-23-2010, 01:19 AM
Im surprised they ever allowed it.

bullypulpit
06-23-2010, 04:03 AM
LOL...Only in your fever dreams Red. :laugh2:

red states rule
06-23-2010, 04:16 AM
LOL...Only in your fever dreams Red. :laugh2:

Sorry BP, the link is from their website. When you go to join you are told you MUST be a Democrat and you must support liberal policies

Deep down you wish you could extend the ban of Obama critisicm of Obama to talk radio and Fox News

red states rule
06-23-2010, 04:23 AM
Speaking of wanting to silence talk radio - from Sgt Schultz of MSNBC

<object width="518" height="419"><param name="movie" value="http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/eyeblast.swf?v=Xd2GSUnzSU" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.eyeblast.tv/public/eyeblast.swf?v=Xd2GSUnzSU" allowfullscreen="true" width="518" height="419" /></object>

Abbey Marie
06-23-2010, 09:49 AM
It will also be "funny" to see these rules magically disappear when a Republican is once again in the White house.

Insein
06-23-2010, 12:10 PM
They make it plainly obvious. Anyone that disagrees with their agenda can not post in the "debate." Now I'm not sure how you have a debate if you don't have the opposite point of view, but thats the way they want to run their site. So be it. I never go there anyway except for a good laugh sometimes.

HogTrash
06-23-2010, 12:50 PM
It will also be "funny" to see these rules magically disappear when a Republican is once again in the White house.They explicitely stated that DU members, democrats, liberals and progressives were the only protected groups as far as negativity or critism is concerned.

HogTrash
06-23-2010, 01:34 PM
DU must be the worlds most boring website.

Al they appear do is slap each other on the back and praise Obama.

krisy
06-23-2010, 01:50 PM
I go over there once in a while for entertainment. The lack of common sense is amusing.

Insein
06-23-2010, 04:25 PM
DU must be the worlds most boring website.

Al they appear do is slap each other on the back and praise Obama.

Should have seen it circa 2004, right after Bush won. That was hillarious.

red states rule
06-23-2010, 06:13 PM
It will also be "funny" to see these rules magically disappear when a Republican is once again in the White house.

If you read the rules, they do not apply to Republicans

The rules state you can use a broad brush to discribe Republicans

It is also against the rules to post anything from "right wing" sites

It is almost as if Virgil went to work for the Dem Underground after being banned from here.

Insein
06-24-2010, 02:20 PM
If you read the rules, they do not apply to Republicans

The rules state you can use a broad brush to discribe Republicans

It is also against the rules to post anything from "right wing" sites

It is almost as if Virgil went to work for the Dem Underground after being banned from here.

They've always been that way. Pravda in America is the best description for them.

LuvRPgrl
06-24-2010, 09:14 PM
WOw, seems as though even democrats who might have a venturing opinion must be afraid to express it, I mean, they are even into mind reading and control:
" Note: Linking to right-wing websites is usually permitted, provided the intent is to expose their agenda rather than agree with it."

INTENT??????

Looks like the rules that were in place during the Bush years are now repealed. It is desperation time in Liberalville.

This is too damn funny

gabosaurus
06-24-2010, 10:14 PM
Do you think this is something new? DU has always banned criticism of Dem leaders. They banned criticism of Clinton. Which is why I got tossed off.
RSR are you running out of topics to post? :p

red states rule
06-25-2010, 03:31 AM
Do you think this is something new? DU has always banned criticism of Dem leaders. They banned criticism of Clinton. Which is why I got tossed off.
RSR are you running out of topics to post? :p

Gabby, I am well aware if you want to post on the Dem Underground you MUST be and SUPPORT the Democrat

This is there header on their home page

Democratic Underground is changing. It's time to change the way we run it.

They have become as thin skinned as Obama has always been

red states rule
06-28-2010, 05:25 AM
So the Dem Underground sets rules where you are not allowed to say anything bad about Pres Obama and they want to "change" the way things are done

Here is a sample of the posts on VP Cheney in the hospital. Judge for yourself on how liberals operate

Who.The.Fuck.Cares. n/t

AWWW! Unfortuneately evil never dies!

OH YES he will. And you and I probably will live to experience it.
Heck, we have no update.
He may be dead now.

Just wish he'd take Liz with him. This is a family of monsters hopefully being called home

I'm just ITCHIN' to send a wreath of skunk cabbage and hemlock boughs to the funeral home.

I'm planning to dance on his grave. A soft-shoe shuffle every day and a matinee on weekends.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4442691#4442693

These are just a few posts from the first page of the thread

Gaffer
06-28-2010, 07:27 AM
So the Dem Underground sets rules where you are not allowed to say anything bad about Pres Obama and they want to "change" the way things are done

Here is a sample of the posts on VP Cheney in the hospital. Judge for yourself on how liberals operate

But say any of that about a dem and they are in an uproar.

Insein
06-28-2010, 08:58 AM

Classy. :lame2:

gabosaurus
06-28-2010, 02:28 PM
I don't understand this whole thread. DU is the most left-wing board out there. Of course they are going to shut down criticism of Obama. The one rule DU has always had is that Dem presidents (past or present) can not be criticized.
DU banned me for being a "closet conservative" (their words). So you know they are fairly radical.

On the other side, I have been banned from at least a half-dozen boards that are just as conservative as DU is liberal. I have been on boards where Hog Trash would be considered a moderate.

red states rule
06-28-2010, 06:22 PM
I don't understand this whole thread. DU is the most left-wing board out there. Of course they are going to shut down criticism of Obama. The one rule DU has always had is that Dem presidents (past or present) can not be criticized.
DU banned me for being a "closet conservative" (their words). So you know they are fairly radical.

On the other side, I have been banned from at least a half-dozen boards that are just as conservative as DU is liberal. I have been on boards where Hog Trash would be considered a moderate.

The pioint is Gabby liberals run around telling us they are the party of tolerance, they welcome an open exchange of ideas, they are the big tent party, ect, ect, ect

Yea, they love you, they support your right to free speech, they tolerate you - as long as you agree with what they say and what they demand

red states rule
06-28-2010, 06:39 PM
But say any of that about a dem and they are in an uproar.

And more tolerance from a little listened to liberal talk show host

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cENE739JPyI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cENE739JPyI&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xd0d0d0&hl=en_GB&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

gabosaurus
06-29-2010, 01:27 PM
The pioint is Gabby liberals run around telling us they are the party of tolerance, they welcome an open exchange of ideas, they are the big tent party, ect, ect, ect

Yea, they love you, they support your right to free speech, they tolerate you - as long as you agree with what they say and what they demand

So you are saying that the small faction of idiots that run DU represent liberals and Dems as a whole?
That is like me saying that the gay child molesting priests represent Catholics as a whole.
You are grasping at very thin straws.

red states rule
06-29-2010, 06:19 PM
So you are saying that the small faction of idiots that run DU represent liberals and Dems as a whole?
That is like me saying that the gay child molesting priests represent Catholics as a whole.
You are grasping at very thin straws.

Small fraction Gabby? it seems to be the vast majority

Look at the ranid hate from the left as a whole. You yourself have tagged all Tea Party members as racists and used the disgusting sexual term to describe them (as your buddies BP and OCA)

On MSNBC the liberal "reporters" sprew their usual contempt for anyone who has a different POV

Liberal talk show hosts continue to wish death on their political opponents

No Gabby, the party of tolerance is indeed the party of hate.

gabosaurus
06-30-2010, 02:00 PM
What you are saying is that the dog never craps on your side of the road.
If a conservative Republican makes a decision, it is right and should be embraced. But if a liberal Democrat makes the same decision, it is mistaken and contributing to the downfall of America.
Have you ever wondered by there are very few left-winger blogs or commentators? Or why the Dems don't have their own radio talk shows or TV news network?
It's because we are too busy thinking for ourselves. We don't bother establishing a party line or parroting each others viewpoints. Think about it. :D

darin
06-30-2010, 02:29 PM
Godbless the admins/owners of that board and their desire to communicate with likewise, seemingly mentally retarded, folk. :)

red states rule
06-30-2010, 07:13 PM
What you are saying is that the dog never craps on your side of the road.
If a conservative Republican makes a decision, it is right and should be embraced. But if a liberal Democrat makes the same decision, it is mistaken and contributing to the downfall of America.
Have you ever wondered by there are very few left-winger blogs or commentators? Or why the Dems don't have their own radio talk shows or TV news network?
It's because we are too busy thinking for ourselves. We don't bother establishing a party line or parroting each others viewpoints. Think about it. :D

Not at all Gabby. You are ignoring the what I am saying? Liberals have a long history of openly wishing death on their political opponents

Do you remember Virgil posting how he looked forward to pissing on my grave when my cancer sent me to Hell? I do not recall any liberal here caling him on that post

There are plenty of left wing commertators Gabby. Look at the lineup of CNN, MSNBC, NBC, ABC, and CBS

Bottom line is Gabby, the Democrat Party is very angry and is sprewing their hate on a daily basis as their party screw up more and more

Gaffer
06-30-2010, 07:17 PM
The dems have spewed anger and hate for all the Bush years, and now they are in power and they are spewing anger and hate. Nothing changes with them in spite of hope and change.

red states rule
06-30-2010, 07:19 PM
The dems have spewed anger and hate for all the Bush years, and now they are in power and they are spewing anger and hate. Nothing changes with them in spite of hope and change.

Only a liberal would call dissent patriotic during the Bush years - then call dissent racist during the Obama years