PDA

View Full Version : Gas prices

Yurt
04-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Though a 2005 link, the issue is still highly relevant.

What if you had to pay $6.02 a gallon for gas?
(http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8994313)

What if you had to pay $6.02 a gallon for gas?

In Europe, the high cost of fuel isn't new, and it's nothing to panic over

LONDON — Even as American drivers complain about "gas pains," they can count their blessings that they don't live in Europe, where motorists pay more than twice as much at the petrol pumps.

Yet, the panic that has gripped the United States is almost absent here and gas prices are not the number one issue on drivers’ minds.

“There’s not a lot you can do, so you just pay it,” said Chris Parsons, a security systems installer from Hampshire, who spends much of his day on the road driving from job to job. “I’m paying 5 to 10 pounds more a week now than I was several months ago. It would have to get to £1.10 a liter ($7.52 a gallon) for it to really make a difference to me.”

One big difference in Britain is that gas prices don’t appear to have changed as drastically over the past year. The national average for July was now 88 pence a liter, or $6.02 a gallon, and prices have only gone up 10 pence a liter in the past 12 months. Although the actual price increase is the same, the rise is not as apparent in Britain where gas is sold by the liter.

This week, drivers were paying around 90-91 pence at London gas stations.

The sticker shock has been greater in the United States, where prices appear to have increased more as the numbers on the price boards are larger. Since last year the cost of a gallon has gone up 67 cents.

“It’s bad enough to have a bit of a moan about, but if you drive a car like this you have to accept that you will pay a lot,” said Helen Evans, 38, as she filled up her Jeep 4X4 with unleaded gas at 90 pence a liter, or $6.15 a gallon.

There is more, click the link. I personally think the rationale behind the author's reasoning is whacked. It seems to be:

It is bad here, so there is no need to worry if it gets bad there

:poke: