PDA

View Full Version : Hoyer - Taxes Will Rise

red states rule
06-22-2010, 06:20 PM
Well, so much for Obama's promise not to raise taxes on the middle class. I doubt if most people here are surprised. Those few who still think Obama is doing a fine job will blame Bush for the tax increase

How I am not sure. But that is what they have done for the last 17 months, so why would they stop now?

Hoyer Says Taxes Will Likely Rise
By John D. McKinnon and Greg Hitt

The deficit drama intensified on Capitol Hill, as Democrats signaled they might have to scale back their plans for middle-class tax relief.

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer said Democrats will have to consider passing only a short-term extension of the Bush-era tax cuts for middle-class people this year. After that, taxes could be headed higher, he suggested.

“As the House and Senate debate what to do with the expiring Bush tax cuts in the coming weeks, we need to have a serious discussion about … whether we can afford to permanently extend them before we have a real plan for long-term deficit reduction,” the Maryland Democrat said in prepared remarks to Third Way, a moderate think tank.

With annual budget deficits running well in excess of $1 trillion, worries over government red ink have brought several current initiatives to a virtual standstill in Congress, including a new jobs and economic-relief package.

To establish a long-term plan for deficit reduction, Hoyer again endorsed a fiscal responsibility commission that President Obama established earlier in the year. It’s trying to come up with bipartisan recommendations that could pass the House and Senate. But the panel’s prospects for reaching agreement appear dim, because of the deep philosophical divides between the parties, as well as the high political stakes.

As he has before, Hoyer endorsed a mix of spending cuts and tax increases to put the government’s finances back on track. On the spending side, he said Congress should consider defense cuts, as well as “a higher retirement age, or one pegged to lifespan” for Social Security beneficiaries; “more progressive Social Security and Medicare benefits; and a stronger safety net for the Americans who need it most.” Strengthening safety-net programs for the poor and unemployed could help to placate liberals who will chafe at proposed reductions in Social Security.

http://blogs.wsj.com/washwire/2010/06/22/hoyer-taxes-likely-must-go-up/

KarlMarx
06-22-2010, 07:25 PM
The Left hates the Middle Class. Why? Because without a healthy Middle Class there can be no democracy! That's why!

So, they attack the Middle Class on a lot of fronts, but they don't do it in an obvious way.

First, they attack the Middle Class's values. You know, the work ethic, no fault divorce, gay marriage, the list goes on and on.

Second, they take away the Middle Class's financial freedom. They do it by legislation, litigation, and taxation.

Of course, they do this by telling the Middle Class that they have to pay their "fair share" of taxes. The truth is that the fair share is to be a bigger and bigger slice of a Middle Class family's budget. Eventually, the Middle Class won't be Middle Class, they'll be lower class and dependent on government....

Then the Left will have what they want... a feudal society with the elites in control of the cash and wealth and of course the power.. and the rest of us wretched souls depending on them.

Yes, you have to love the Left.... (at this point, I should go into a an obscenity laced tirad about Barak H. Obama and his shortcomings, but no... I am going to go to bed now... hopefully when I wake up, I'll find that it was all a dream and Ronald Reagan is actually the President and I'm 25 years younger... then my biggest problem will be where do I get tickets for the Flock of Seagulls concert....)

06-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Seriously, did you expect otherwise? I cant believe anyone would be surprised by this.

red states rule
06-23-2010, 04:19 AM
Seriously, did you expect otherwise? I cant believe anyone would be surprised by this.

I know some libs who spin how Obama does not have a choice. I think deep down they are surprised THEY will have to pay for that hope and change

Their #1 talking point is you can't have a war without a tax increase. Of course they ignore the pork spending in the stimulus bill, and other spending bills - and how tax increases will drain money from the private sector and discourage economic growth