PDA

View Full Version : Important Speech (need your feedback)

actsnoblemartin
06-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Tommorrow, I have been invited by Kay of The SAN DIEGO AUTISM SOCIETY to address the people at their meeting for 5-10 minutes.

I wrote a speech, about my new meetup group for young adults with aspergers, called 20/30 club. did i nail it or fall flat?

I personally love it, made it my about page

infact you can see my meetup group at www.meetup.com/2030club

Hello, My name is Martin and I’m The Organizer of the meet up group 20/30 club, a social club for young adults with Asperger’s Syndrome. I want to make this group a safe and welcoming place for you. I want to make it more then a meet up, I want to make it a 2nd family because as people with asperger’s we generally have a tough time, making and keeping friends, and I want to change that.

I hope through your help, to put on the best events possible. I understand that everyone has different ideas on which events to do, and when to do them, and if you prefer we can put events to a vote. I humbly ask for your constructive cricism, feedback, ideas fellowship and leadership to help me make this the best club it can be.

Thank You again, to Kay for inviting me here, and I can answer any comments, questions, or concerns you might have

KarlMarx
06-23-2010, 07:30 PM
Wow... you have Asperger's? I never would have known... except for the part where you are pretty smart. I read that people with Asperger's Syndrome are usually highly intelligent. Usually people with Asperger's have difficulty with social situations, and you don't seem to.

We thought my son had Asperger's Syndrome but then he didn't have all of the symptoms. For one thing, he's very social. He loves to meet people and make friends. The doctors now say he has "Pervasive Development Disorder Not Otherwise Specified"... which is a euphemism for "we have no idea of what he really has"

I read that a lot of famous people had (or have) Asperger's... e.g. Bill Gates, Albert Einstein..

chloe
06-23-2010, 08:37 PM
nice speech

DragonStryk72
06-23-2010, 09:12 PM
It's a good speech, martin. In general, it's good to keep a speech short unless you are expounding on a specific topic, otherwise, it's better to simply do it quickly so that people can get to the meat of the meeting.

crin63
06-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Tommorrow, I have been invited by Kay of The SAN DIEGO AUTISM SOCIETY to address the people at their meeting for 5-10 minutes.

I wrote a speech, about my new meetup group for young adults with aspergers, called 20/30 club. did i nail it or fall flat?

I personally love it, made it my about page

infact you can see my meetup group at www.meetup.com/2030club

Hello, My name is Martin and I’m The Organizer of the meet up group 20/30 club, a social club for young adults with Asperger’s Syndrome. I want to make this group a safe and welcoming place for you. I want to make it more then a meet up, I want to make it a 2nd family because as people with asperger’s we generally have a tough time, making and keeping friends, and I want to change that.

I hope through your help, to put on the best events possible. I understand that everyone has different ideas on which events to do, and when to do them, and if you prefer we can put events to a vote. I humbly ask for your constructive cricism, feedback, ideas fellowship and leadership to help me make this the best club it can be.

Thank You again, to Kay for inviting me here, and I can answer any comments, questions, or concerns you might have

That's only a 30 second speech. While brevity is a good thing, when someone asks you to speak for 5 - 10 minutes you should really try for about 7 minutes. They have already planned out what they are going to do based on your allotted time and it throws them something of a curve-ball to fill the extra time. Definitely don't go over on the time either.

Add some more content to it if you can and say it out loud to yourself 10 times before you give it. You will find that the way you write and the way you speak are 2 different ways. You will trip over your written style in most cases. Read it out loud and edit it accordingly so it flows better. You will also be better prepared to give the speech because its memorized to some degree. If you have the time, video yourself to check your posture, hand gestures and body language. Some people end up rocking, so have your feet about shoulder width apart with one foot slightly forward. that should keep you from swaying or rocking.

Good luck Martin.

DragonStryk72
06-23-2010, 10:42 PM
That's only a 30 second speech. While brevity is a good thing, when someone asks you to speak for 5 - 10 minutes you should really try for about 7 minutes. They have already planned out what they are going to do based on your allotted time and it throws them something of a curve-ball to fill the extra time. Definitely don't go over on the time either.

Add some more content to it if you can and say it out loud to yourself 10 times before you give it. You will find that the way you write and the way you speak are 2 different ways. You will trip over your written style in most cases. Read it out loud and edit it accordingly so it flows better. You will also be better prepared to give the speech because its memorized to some degree. If you have the time, video yourself to check your posture, hand gestures and body language. Some people end up rocking, so have your feet about shoulder width apart with one foot slightly forward. that should keep you from swaying or rocking.

Good luck Martin.

Hm, that's a good idea. Some of it should likely be maybe telling your own story, Martin. That's likely a good portion of the reason they asked you to speak, and talking about your own experiences with Asperger's will give others a sense of comfort that you know where they are coming from, and connect you with the crowd. My dad speaks a lot due to his being heavily involved in AA, and he generally seems to treat it as a stand up routine. Wish I knew how to put it on Youtube so I could put up some of his material, but alas, that knowledge is not mine yet.

Binky
06-24-2010, 12:03 AM
Hm, that's a good idea. Some of it should likely be maybe telling your own story, Martin. That's likely a good portion of the reason they asked you to speak, and talking about your own experiences with Asperger's will give others a sense of comfort that you know where they are coming from, and connect you with the crowd. My dad speaks a lot due to his being heavily involved in AA, and he generally seems to treat it as a stand up routine. Wish I knew how to put it on Youtube so I could put up some of his material, but alas, that knowledge is not mine yet.

A very good point. A bit of background material is always a good thing....

Binky
06-24-2010, 12:06 AM
Good speech with what you have Martin....Follow Dragons advice and toss in some background material. Wouldn't hurt to add in some humor. That will help keep their attention and they'll remember you and the topic that much longer.

Good luck!

Abbey Marie
06-24-2010, 10:37 AM
What you have is very good, Martin. You've come a long way just since I've known you on the board. I'm so proud of you!

actsnoblemartin
06-24-2010, 12:09 PM
aww shucks, youre such a sweetheart

bear hugs :salute:

What you have is very good, Martin. You've come a long way just since I've known you on the board. I'm so proud of you!