PDA

View Full Version : A Best Friend Is Much Cheaper than Therapy - and Ten Times As Helpful!

DragonStryk72
06-24-2010, 01:07 AM
So there was another thread going on the subject of schools trying to discourage best friend relationships posted by Kathianne:

http://debatepolicy.com/showthread.php?t=28302

This of course felt like horrible BS by the schools in question to me, and so I began my search, finding an article with the above title:

“People report being happier when they are with friends than when they’re with a spouse or child,” according to research cited in a recent cover story in Psychology Today magazine. This, indeed, is something to ponder seriously.

To repeat, people actually experience greater joy while spending time with their friends than while spending time with their children or their mates. This should give you an idea of the value of friendship.

Unfortunately, friendship - like life in general - is not easily understood. But there is magic to it, which makes it so worthwhile.

Interestingly, friendship is one of the most researched subjects on the Internet. This indicates that millions of people are interested in creating new friendships and enhancing old ones. Given how important friendship is in our lives, have you ever noticed how little has been written on the subject? Compare, for example, the number of books written on how to handle money to the number of books on how to create and maintain great friends.

http://www.the-friendship-cafe.com/

Apparently, studies are saying the exact opposite of what the school proposes, that in fact learning how to develop friends, and especially best friends, is intrinsically important to our overall happiness in life

Yager adds, “Friendship is not something that you get to when everything else in your life is taken care of. It’s an important relationship even after the school years for emotional health, for career advancement, for physical well-being.”

Many parents are so insanely, and wrongfully worried over our children I believe, that a lot of parents are beginning to actually stunt their emotional growth, as well as their ability to actually function well in society at large.