PDA

View Full Version : Independence Day is coming!

Little-Acorn
06-25-2010, 10:32 AM
It's the day where we celebrate finally being free from an old, discredited form of government that was oppressing us, passing unnecessarily restrictive laws, taxing us with both overt and hidden taxes, "giving" us services we neither wanted nor needed, not listening to our repeated requests and protests....

Oh.

*never mind*

Insein
06-25-2010, 11:52 AM
Our fore fathers did the best they could to prevent this. Ultimately, it wasn't enough.

Mr. P
06-25-2010, 02:22 PM
It's the day where we celebrate finally being free from an old, discredited form of government that was oppressing us, passing unnecessarily restrictive laws, taxing us with both overt and hidden taxes, "giving" us services we neither wanted nor needed, not listening to our repeated requests and protests....

Oh.

*never mind*

We should form a movement to rename it "DEPENDENCE DAY".
Then when folks in shock of such a thing ask, why, we can explain what the hell is happening to this country and maybe they'll spread to word.

Naaaahhhh never mind, as long as they have their BBQ, fireworks and a 3 day weekend they won't give a shit.

cat slave
06-25-2010, 07:26 PM
Our founding fathers could never have foreseen the demiseof the independent, resourceful and freedom loving citizenry.
I sure never thought Id see America what it is today.

Too many people thinking someone else owes them everything and willing to sacrifice freedom to get it.

Kathianne
06-25-2010, 07:32 PM
Our founding fathers could never have foreseen the demiseof the independent, resourceful and freedom loving citizenry.

Too many people thinking someone else owes them everything and willing to sacrifice freedom to get it.

I'm going against the grain here. Truth is the founders were a mixed lot. Hell, anyone who looks at the first five administrations gets that.

Both major party adherents can call upon those that fought in Revolutionary War and through those first administrations. How to interpret their actions and writings is key, but hell, who wants to go to that bother?

cat slave
06-25-2010, 08:08 PM
The early Americans were practicing a new law and measure
of freedom. They had no king and embarked on an entirely
new way of life with new guidelines.

I think they pulled together a pretty grand plan and it needed
practice. I think thats whats been going on until powers
that be began to infuse their own ideas...now its just plain
corrupt through and through. Lobbys and special interest
groups have the ear of those who should be representing
the majority of Americans but purchase voting blocks with
entitlements. Money and power run things today...the
constitution is at risk and that means us.

Binky
06-25-2010, 08:16 PM

Never thought I'd see it either Cat. The way things are going America could very well end up a communist country at some point down the road....:eek:

Insein
06-25-2010, 09:10 PM

I disagree. The founding fathers knew that this is what could happen. They saw it in Europe and thats why they left. They wanted freedom from oppression. Freedom of over taxation. Freedom to keep what they earned instead of paying to a lord. They tried to put as many roadblocks as they could in to the constitution to prevent this from happening. If the document was followed to the T, it would have been perfect. Its been manipulated over the years to create things that go against its founding principles. Gradually, it has become nothing more than a guideline for politicians to refer to instead of the law of the land. They knew that one day we could end up where we are now. They just hoped it would be far longer than it took to get here.

Insein
06-25-2010, 09:13 PM
The beauty of the Constitution though is that it can still save us. We can take the power of this land back. Its just going to be a lot harder now that we've given it up. Whether by process or by force, this country is ours if we can keep it.

cat slave
06-25-2010, 09:58 PM
I need to hear that often!!!