PDA

View Full Version : I am a little nervous, can I please have some more feedback please?

actsnoblemartin
06-26-2010, 01:58 AM
I spoke preliminarily to The San Diego Asperger's Syndrome Activity Group about combining forces and received this response back from the owner of their group

Thanks Martin, I appreciate your compliment. Step 1 is to form a new meetup group. I know you have experience with that . Why don't you call it something like "The San Diego Asperger's Syndrome Activity Group - South County Chapter". I can rename mine "The San Diego Asperger's Syndrome Activity Group - North County Chapter". My group is big enough now that we can split up into two (north county and south county). We can each plan our own activities in our areas, and also plan events that combine all the members.

the problem is, I dont think my sponsor: the San Diego County Autism Society wants me to, and im afraid of ruffling feathers by even mentioning the offer, on the other hand, can I really be a chicken shit and not mention it and ignore her after I asked her if she would be interested in it?

The board of my sponsor, more of less said no, but i contacted my mentor, one of the board members and said this

do you think im acting in good judgment?, what if he gets mad :eek:?

Or am i just worrying over nothing

I wrote my mentor this: and forwarded him the offer to merge.

I received an email this evening, as I was in preliminary talks with the other group about a possible merger. I could really use your guidance here my friend. Is this a good idea that can benefit the group or a bad idea that could hinder our vision/direction for the group.

I will defer to your judgment on this matter, my friend.

and reply to her according to your wisdom and direction

Thanks for being my mentor/helper.

Sincerely

Martin Barken

actsnoblemartin
06-26-2010, 02:06 AM
what if he gets mad, at me sending to many emails to him, at once.

I had a lot of questions.

I sent 6 emails, yeah a bit much, but I just started this group.

And the questions dont come to me all at once, we have to hash a lot of things out

me = worried :poke:

Gaffer
06-26-2010, 08:53 AM
I'm sure your mentor will just respond to your emails as he can and if it's too much he'll say so.

If your sponsor says don't merge, then he has a reason, you might ask him why. Sounds like your going to be quite busy for a long time with all of this.

When anyone tells you to do or not do something always ask why. Get a reason for everything.

actsnoblemartin
06-26-2010, 12:10 PM
I now think I should accept their offer based on my conversation with my mother.

pro's: becoming part of a 2 year established group
Pro's: visibility of my group increases
Pro's: can brain storm with their leader

con's: my sponsor: San Diego Autism Society might not like it
con's: my mentor might not like it
con's: what if I lose my autonomy

Can i get some more feedback?

Mr. P
06-26-2010, 12:58 PM
Why even consider merging when you really don't have a group yet do you? Has there been even one meeting? Seems yer putting the cart before the horse here, Martin. Grow yer group then look into merging.
Learn to walk before ya try an run.

actsnoblemartin
06-26-2010, 01:02 PM
my idea was :laugh2:

If i merge, then I get access to over 125 members.

We can do our own events, and events together

I can not only have the sponsorship of san diego autism society, but I can have the help of an established group of 2 years.

what do you think?

P.S. my first event is july 17th, and I have 1 member, guess who that is :laugh2:

Why even consider merging when you really don't have a group yet do you? Has there been even one meeting? Seems yer putting the cart before the horse here, Martin. Grow yer group then look into merging.
Learn to walk before ya try an run.

Mr. P
06-26-2010, 01:22 PM
my idea was :laugh2:

We can do our own events, and events together

I can not only have the sponsorship of san diego autism society, but I can have the help of an established group of 2 years.

what do you think?

P.S. my first event is july 17th, and I have 1 member, guess who that is :laugh2:

I think you can remain an independent group and still interact with another group. You don't need to merge to reap that benefit.

PostmodernProphet
06-26-2010, 01:40 PM

therein lies the problem....you aren't offering to help their group grow, you're offering to bleed off their members.....take it slow.....develop your own membership locally, if some of their members want to join your group because of the convenience of location so be it.....

DragonStryk72
06-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Sometimes the best thing you can do is nothing. Right now, you don't really know this other group all that well, and you need time not only to grow your group, but to earn their trust, so that if you do a merger down the line, they feel like they can trust your decision.

actsnoblemartin
06-26-2010, 05:04 PM
SD Asperger's Activity Group - Central & East County Chapter

then theirs can be

SD Asperger's Activity Group - North County Chapter

It looks like everything is coming together

the other leader even said now that her group is big enough, we can break it into two groups :)