PDA

View Full Version : Sausage and gravy

Sweetchuck
06-26-2010, 08:49 PM
I like simple recipes, easy to make, love to eat. This is one that I've recently made. We're on vacation on the beach. Rent a beach house for the week so we do much of our cooking at the house and breakfast is a big part of our day.

3 lbs of mild, bulk breakfast sausage
1 large onion, chopped
1 box of biscuit mix (use these for the biscuits also)
Pepper, lots, freshly cracked - puh-leeze
1 gallon of whole milk, not the % stuff

Fry the sausage in a dutch oven pot on the stovetop. Once it starts browning, drain some of the fat off and add the chopped onion. Let it continue to fry until the sausage starts to look cooked (not over-cooked, it should be firm, not crisp). Add about a half cup of the dry biscuit mix and stir it up good, you may want to take it off the heat at this point so it doesn't burn. Add enough milk to fill the pot up 3/4 of the way or so, then put lots of cracked pepper in it.

You'll have to stand here for a while and continually stirring it on a medium heat or so so it doesn't burn. Might take a while but the milk will start to thicken. When it's the consistency of gravy, pull it off the heat and make the biscuits according to the box recipe. You can use pop-n-fresh biscuits but you still need to add a thickener to the gravy as was previously mentioned. Flour works if you want to use the pop-n-fresh stuff, but I make drop biscuits from the box. Just add water or milk - whatever the box calls for, spoon them onto a greased cookie sheet and bake.

Put a biscuit into a bowl, ladle the sausage and gravy over the biscuit and enjoy.

Kathianne
06-27-2010, 05:12 AM
I like simple recipes, easy to make, love to eat. This is one that I've recently made. We're on vacation on the beach. Rent a beach house for the week so we do much of our cooking at the house and breakfast is a big part of our day.

3 lbs of mild, bulk breakfast sausage
1 large onion, chopped
1 box of biscuit mix (use these for the biscuits also)
Pepper, lots, freshly cracked - puh-leeze
1 gallon of whole milk, not the % stuff

Fry the sausage in a dutch oven pot on the stovetop. Once it starts browning, drain some of the fat off and add the chopped onion. Let it continue to fry until the sausage starts to look cooked (not over-cooked, it should be firm, not crisp). Add about a half cup of the dry biscuit mix and stir it up good, you may want to take it off the heat at this point so it doesn't burn. Add enough milk to fill the pot up 3/4 of the way or so, then put lots of cracked pepper in it.

You'll have to stand here for a while and continually stirring it on a medium heat or so so it doesn't burn. Might take a while but the milk will start to thicken. When it's the consistency of gravy, pull it off the heat and make the biscuits according to the box recipe. You can use pop-n-fresh biscuits but you still need to add a thickener to the gravy as was previously mentioned. Flour works if you want to use the pop-n-fresh stuff, but I make drop biscuits from the box. Just add water or milk - whatever the box calls for, spoon them onto a greased cookie sheet and bake.

Put a biscuit into a bowl, ladle the sausage and gravy over the biscuit and enjoy.

Welcome, belatedly! How many people are you feeding with this? I'm confused a bit on your recipe-what size of a box of biscuits? LOL! I have a giant box of biscuit mix, somehow I don't think I want to use all of that. :laugh2: I'm thinking one of the small boxes, like "Jiffy"?

Sweetchuck
06-27-2010, 06:33 AM
Welcome, belatedly! How many people are you feeding with this? I'm confused a bit on your recipe-what size of a box of biscuits? LOL! I have a giant box of biscuit mix, somehow I don't think I want to use all of that. :laugh2: I'm thinking one of the small boxes, like "Jiffy"?

Feeds 6-8 people maybe. Box size - I guess you'll need enough for making at least 6-8 biscuits if you're looking to feed that many. I didn't pay close attention to the box size - we got the larger size since we made pancakes on another morning.