PDA

View Full Version : Breaking - Robert Byrd Died

red states rule
06-28-2010, 04:33 AM
Breaking - no link yet. Heard it on the radio

May he rest in peace

Kathianne
06-28-2010, 04:36 AM
While never my favorite Senator, they will miss is knowledge of Senate history. RIP.

red states rule
06-28-2010, 04:44 AM
Found this from the Washington Post

Monday, June 28, 2010; 5:41 AM

Robert C. Byrd, , a conservative West Virginia Democrat who became the longest-serving member of Congress in history and used his masterful knowledge of the institution to shape the federal budget, protect the procedural rules of the Senate and, above all else, tend to the interests of his state, died at 3 a.m. Monday at Inova Fairfax Hospital, his office said.

Mr. Byrd had been hospitalized last week with what was thought to be heat exhaustion, but more serious issues were discovered, aides said Sunday. No formal cause of death was given.

Starting in 1958, Mr. Byrd was elected to the Senate an unprecedented nine times. He wrote a four-volume history of the body, was majority leader twice and chaired the powerful Appropriations Committee, controlling the nation's purse strings, and yet the positions of influence he held did not convey the astonishing arc of his life.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/28/AR2010062801241.html

Gaffer
06-28-2010, 07:34 AM
Another seat available to the repubs. He's now a good liberal.

HogTrash
06-28-2010, 09:14 AM
It's hard to believe someone who said "Wherever some people go, the slums will follow", would endorse Barack Hussein Obama.

Senator Byrd was an opportunist, whose policies and opinions were guided by the political winds of any particular period in time.

PostmodernProphet
06-28-2010, 12:40 PM
While never my favorite Senator, they will miss is knowledge of Senate history. RIP.

he had to knowledgeable about Senate history, he experienced half of it....what motivates folks like him and Thurmond to stay in office in their 90s?......

namvet
06-28-2010, 12:55 PM
92 and still in there. no wonder we're screwed

Adios tax parasite

Sweetchuck
06-28-2010, 06:29 PM
The sugar-daddy's gone. I lived near the WV border for decades, they named practically half the fucking state after him.

On one hand, I'm lost for words when you consider that one person has held office in Congress for over 50 years. This is so wrong on so many levels.

On the other hand, people vote him in - hence the 'sugar daddy' comment. He digs them up a bone every now and then, they keep him in office. Sort of like legal, public bribery.

But if the voters are fat and happy, we'll continue to elect the same schlocks, good-ol-boys and spin doctors year after year.

Hell, it took a brain tumor to get Kennedy out of office.

red states rule
06-30-2010, 04:49 AM
Leave it Chris Matthews to turn a tribute of Sen Byrd into an attack on Pres Bush

What class

BTW, Chris was angry over the Tea Party using the "Don't Tred On Me" fag - but loved it when Byrd used it

Watch the video

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2010/06/29/chris-matthews-disgracefully-uses-sen-byrds-death-bash-bush