PDA

View Full Version : NY Times - Closing Guantánamo Fades as a Priority

red states rule
06-28-2010, 06:01 AM
Welcome to the real world Mr President

WASHINGTON — Stymied by political opposition and focused on competing priorities, the Obama administration has sidelined efforts to close the Guantánamo prison, making it unlikely that President Obama will fulfill his promise to close it before his term ends in 2013.

When the White House acknowledged last year that it would miss Mr. Obama’s initial January 2010 deadline for shutting the prison, it also declared that the detainees would eventually be moved to one in Illinois. But impediments to that plan have mounted in Congress, and the administration is doing little to overcome them.

“There is a lot of inertia” against closing the prison, “and the administration is not putting a lot of energy behind their position that I can see,” said Senator Carl Levin, the Michigan Democrat who is chairman of the Senate Armed Services Committee and supports the Illinois plan. He added that “the odds are that it will still be open” by the next presidential inauguration.

And Senator Lindsey Graham, a South Carolina Republican who also supports shutting it, said the effort is “on life support and it’s unlikely to close any time soon.” He attributed the collapse to some fellow Republicans’ “demagoguery” and the administration’s poor planning and decision-making “paralysis.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/26/us/politics/26gitmo.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

DragonStryk72
06-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Wait, it was a priority before? When did that happen, and how did I miss it? He never was going to close down Gitmo, no matter that he swore up and down he would.

OCA
06-28-2010, 02:56 PM
I guess you guys don't get it still, politicians will say anything to anybody in order to garner votes during a campaign, he was obviously trying to pull in the lib anti-military votes with that one....................surprise, surprise.................he lied.

All politicians are liars and thieves.....dems and repubs alike.

Missileman
06-28-2010, 04:03 PM
I guess you guys don't get it still, politicians will say anything to anybody in order to garner votes during a campaign, he was obviously trying to pull in the lib anti-military votes with that one....................surprise, surprise.................he lied.

It will remain so until they abolish the "career" politician.

red states rule
06-28-2010, 06:19 PM

So much for all that hope and change eh?

Sphe is a liar? No wonder to bonded to him so well :laugh2:

Sweetchuck
06-28-2010, 06:41 PM
Looks like the Gulf disaster is bound to suffer the same fate as the Guantanamo matter.

red states rule
06-29-2010, 05:26 AM
Looks like the Gulf disaster is bound to suffer the same fate as the Guantanamo matter.

Yea, Obama's priorities are playing golf, going to concerts, pushing his social agenda, and traveling around the world saying how he is on behalf of America.

So there is not alot of time for him to actually fo his job

OCA
06-29-2010, 10:24 AM

Sphe is a liar? No wonder to bonded to him so well :laugh2:

You do have a knack for ignoring salient points and getting back to the all important partisanship.

DragonStryk72
06-29-2010, 01:27 PM
You do have a knack for ignoring salient points and getting back to the all important partisanship.

Um, not to go agreeing with RSR here, but he was actually responding to you. You said:

Originally Posted by OCA View Post

To which the response:

That's a response, it's a smartass response, but it still a response to your point. Obama talked so much about how was going to change things, that he was the candidate for Change, and he hasn't changed a thing, really.

gabosaurus
06-29-2010, 01:51 PM
Obama talked so much about how was going to change things, that he was the candidate for Change, and he hasn't changed a thing, really.

That is the story of politics as a whole. Nothing ever changes. First-time candidates always promise the moon. But once they get into office, they realize that political survival is a lot more important that making good on promises.
Obama is no better than either Bush, Clinton, Reagan, Ford or Carter. Idiot succeeds idiot.

DragonStryk72
06-29-2010, 02:06 PM
That is the story of politics as a whole. Nothing ever changes. First-time candidates always promise the moon. But once they get into office, they realize that political survival is a lot more important that making good on promises.
Obama is no better than either Bush, Clinton, Reagan, Ford or Carter. Idiot succeeds idiot.

Then why keep voting for them if you know this? Go to the third parties, they actually have to prove themselves in office, they've got no other choice.

Sweetchuck
06-29-2010, 06:03 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/static/managed/img/Opinion/2pcrdds,--Worth1000.jpg

red states rule
06-29-2010, 06:10 PM

and amazing how people are no longer fainting during Obama's speeches

red states rule
06-29-2010, 07:34 PM
Um, not to go agreeing with RSR here, but he was actually responding to you. You said:

To which the response:

That's a response, it's a smartass response, but it still a response to your point. Obama talked so much about how was going to change things, that he was the candidate for Change, and he hasn't changed a thing, really.

Smartass? Guess I am like the custard store manager who asked Biden to lower his taxes

I was pointing out the obvious to another hope and change person. It always seems to rub them the wrong way when I remind them what Obama ran on and compare it to what he is actually doing

red states rule
07-03-2010, 07:37 AM

http://www.strangepolitics.com/images/content/165299.jpg