PDA

View Full Version : Chicago defies Supreme Court, enacts ever more bizarre gun restrictions

Little-Acorn
07-02-2010, 01:05 PM
Looks like Chicago's city council didn't take the little hint delivered by the Supreme Court a few days ago.

Hey, aldermen! What part of "Shall Not Be Infringed" don't you understand?

-------------------------------------

http://www.suntimes.com/news/cityhall/2458402,new-chicago-gun-law-passed-070210.article

Chicago approves new handgun restrictions
45-0 vote comes after Supreme Court hits city on gun ban
Comments

July 2, 2010

By ABDON M. PALLASCH Political Reporter
Chicago aldermen voted unanimously today to approve compromise gun restrictions they hope won’t run afoul of the U.S. Supreme Court majority’s new standards on gun bans.

The 45-0 vote, coming four days after the U.S. Supreme Court issued a ruling against the city’s handgun ban, puts in place strict limits on guns.

The new ordinance, which city officials called the strictest in the nation, allows adults in Chicago to buy one gun a month — 12 a year. But they must pay registration and permit fees and take five hours of training.

The measure prohibits gun shops in Chicago and bars gun owners from so much as stepping outside their homes with a handgun, even if it’s only onto their porches or garages.

------------------------------------------

So, now we have the following situation, if you happen to live in Chicago.

If you have a gun inside your house, you're fine.

But if you step out onto your porch with it, or even into your garage, you'll be arrested and thrown in jail.

Chicago authorities have not yet detailed how many police officers would be positioned outside people's houses, checking for porch usage or garage entry by gun owners.

This is perfectly in accordance with the 2nd amendment, which reads:

"A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, except on porches, garages, sidewalks, workplaces, and in the owners' private automobiles."

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along, move along. - LA

Kathianne
07-02-2010, 01:11 PM
It wasn't nearly as strict as Richie wanted. One gun per person, liability insurance, all sorts of items he had. As for 'stepping outside the house,' interesting to see how folks are to get the guns from the suburban gun shops to their homes, no? :laugh2:

Insein
07-02-2010, 01:14 PM
In theory, whats to stop a government entity from creating new laws that disregard the constitution each time the Supreme Court shoots them down? It will take another 5-10 years before it gets back to them to be decided. Government has the advantage and the people get screwed. We need to change government. People in Chicago get what they choose.

Little-Acorn
07-02-2010, 01:22 PM
In theory, whats to stop a government entity from creating new laws that disregard the constitution each time the Supreme Court shoots them down? It will take another 5-10 years before it gets back to them to be decided. Government has the advantage and the people get screwed. We need to change government. People in Chicago get what they choose.

Well, at least one answer to your question, can be found in an old quote from a radio personality:

"Q: Why does the Constitution have a Second Amendment?

"A: In case the government doesn't obey the first one."

DragonStryk72
07-02-2010, 01:32 PM
It's a de facto handgun ban. Think about it, no shops are allowed to sell guns? So where would you legally purchase a gun? SCOTUS is gonna pissed, actually, I mean, this was pretty blatant weaseling, and I mean, they still are trying the same stunt.

HogTrash
07-02-2010, 01:42 PM
The liberals and minorities who overwhelmingly vote democrat and control the ballot box in Chicago,

have sacrificed their constitutional rights for the security of a nanny government and it's cheap trinketts and beads.

Suckers...

Kathianne
07-02-2010, 02:21 PM
It's a de facto handgun ban. Think about it, no shops are allowed to sell guns? So where would you legally purchase a gun? SCOTUS is gonna pissed, actually, I mean, this was pretty blatant weaseling, and I mean, they still are trying the same stunt.

Seriously they can get to gun shops just outside of city limits, about 20 minutes north, south, west. The number is more the problem, not to mention the required training. Not that I disagree with training, but required?

Sweetchuck
07-02-2010, 04:39 PM
This is the pure, unadulterated idiocy that is liberalism.

Gun regs impact law abiding citizens. You think the felon thug is going to say "shit, now I can't buy my guns"?

Pure idiocy.