PDA

View Full Version : Happy 4th!

Kathianne
07-02-2010, 02:50 PM
Helping my son move today, then heading to the old family cottage with a couple of my kids.

My brother and two of his kids will be there too, all or part of the weekend. I'm going to get some serious time holding the new grandnephew! :cool:

We'll see fireworks on the 3rd and 4th, I love fireworks!

So some sun, water skiing, tubing, swimming are in store for me in the coming hours.

No internet, hell only cell phone where it works. TV? Not so much so. Should be a relaxing weekend.

Happy 4th, all.

Freedom's natal day is here.
Fire the guns and shout for freedom,
See the flag above unfurled!
Hail the stars and stripes forever,
Dearest flag in all the world.
~Florence A. Jones:salute::salute::salute:

Abbey Marie
07-02-2010, 02:54 PM
Sounds great Kath. Have a blast (pun intended) and try to forget your stresses.

Happy Independence Day!

:dance:

Abbey Marie
07-02-2010, 02:55 PM
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/fireworks.jpg

Kathianne
07-02-2010, 02:57 PM
Sounds great Kath. Have a blast (pun intended) and try to forget your stresses.

Happy Independence Day!

:dance:

Thank you! Well got my bills paid, now comes some relaxing. What to do next month? Yikes, but for this weekend, I'm gonna chill.

How about anyone else, fun things planned? Picnics, fireworks, parades?

Kathianne
07-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Update. That didn't take long. Son called and is still at his old apartment, (an hour away), still packing. He's moving closer to home, which is where we're meeting him. So, looks like we will go to lake tomorrow, I don't want to drive into farmlands after dark. Besides, sleeping with the whole family, 5 dogs, a newborn? 2 nights will be enough of that. :laugh2:

We'll try to get there early enough to go for breakfast. ;)

red states rule
07-03-2010, 04:47 AM
By liberal coworker and good friend (Blue States Rule) had surgery for a hernia and is laid up right now

My girlfriend is coming to my place tonight after work - tomorrow we go over to BSR's gf' s place (where he is healing up) to visit

While the women are cooking dinner, BSR and I will watch a film I can't believe he has never seen

The Godfather

He is slowly getting better. He thought he would be back to work in a couple of weeks :laugh2:

krisy
07-03-2010, 02:24 PM
Happy 4th everyone! We are at gaffer and Trinity' s house today for a cookout and fireworks. :thumb:

Kathianne
07-04-2010, 09:37 PM
I hope everyone had a great weekend! I did. After the delays, I finally got to the family cottage at noon yesterday. My youngest son, daughter, and her BF didn't get there until 2:30, as they were still helping the middle son move. One of the benefits of getting older and having arthritis is they know furniture moving is out.

I took the dog we are sitting for, Snickers, with me. The kids were bringing Julia, the Dachshund with them. All told, 5 dogs, one 2 month old, 8 adults. Two of the dogs are barkers-Julia and the long haired Chihuahua. Oh my!

After a bit of visiting, we decided to get people to the beach and launch the boat. Jay's wife and my SIL took baby Cole to the beach. My brother, Jay, and I went to launch the boat. In spite of checking the motor in the driveway before leaving, after getting it into the water-dead battery. Charger at home. ;) Brother's language makes a sailor blush! So back to the cottage, and the pandemonium of 4 dogs.

The good thing, my kids arrived while we charging the batter, again. So they got the Jayco trailer set up and Febreezed it and put their stuff away. I knew I had a bedroom, as did Jay, Angie and Cole, and my brother. Luckily that old camper where my parents used to put the kids is still working fine. The 3 of them and the two dogs were going to be out there. ;)

Finally we got the boat off, with coolers, more chairs, and skis. Great day. Low humidity and 88, perfect for boat, swimming and holding baby. :laugh2:
My SIL and I skipped tubing and skiing, but did get in swimming and lots of baby time. My brother has 2 speeds of driving boat, fast and faster. The daughter's boyfriend seems to have perhaps cracked a rib after flying with the tube back onto water. Luckily it didn't seem as bad yesterday, we managed to get back to the house for barbeque, then back to the boat to watch the fireworks, which were spectacular and reflected on the water.

Seems some people spend major change on fireworks too, we had a secondary showing all the way back to the dock at around 10:30. After Cole was fed, bathed, and put to sleep, we had bonfire with almond champagne from local winery. Awesome! Since two trees were taken down on property, we had the fire going until 2 am. After everyone went to bed, my brother and I took in the stars for another hour. Damn, it was gorgeous.

This morning we were at the beach by 11 and the kids went tubing again, though the BF just spotted. We left by 1 and went to nearby town on Illinois River to watch the parade. City population=less than 3k. A farm supporting community, a mix of prefab and huge old houses. Lots of character. Politicians, a high school dance squad of 8 girls, a huge number of Cub Cadet mini tractors, etc. A carnival in center square. Great times.

Unfortunately the weather turned real nasty. The river is already past flood stage, so didn't look good for the fireworks tonight. My kids, Jay and his wife and baby left. My brother's youngest and her boyfriend were heading to the cottage for the evening festivities. After waiting another couple hours and bad weather just recycling I decided to get home before dark, so here I am.

My folks had left the house to my brother since he loves everything about the area and has the money to maintain and provide the toys. Both of us can remember when my parents were the ones doing all the entertaining and driving the boats.

Our kids grew up spending huge chunks of their summers there. Then when they hit late middle school and high school they didn't want to take the time away from friends, work, activities. Suddenly now it's once again the place to 'be.' They're planning to have a bunch of their friends, spouses, boyfriends, girlfriends, kids there next month. Us older folks said we'll pass on that extravaganza.

This is when I say, 'Gee, I'm so happy with the family I landed with, in spite of any problems we've had.'

Happy 4th!

Abbey Marie
07-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Glad you had fun, Kath. :beer:

actsnoblemartin
07-06-2010, 01:31 AM
Psychoblues wants me to tell you he loves you and youre opinions but he Is precently obstructed from sharing his full appreciation, happy fourth of july to you as well.

Psychoblues :cheers2: :salute: :cheers2:

God Bless you and America

Psychoblues, for good time sake

actsnoblemartin :dance: :dance: :dance:

I hope everyone had a great weekend! I did. After the delays, I finally got to the family cottage at noon yesterday. My youngest son, daughter, and her BF didn't get there until 2:30, as they were still helping the middle son move. One of the benefits of getting older and having arthritis is they know furniture moving is out.

I took the dog we are sitting for, Snickers, with me. The kids were bringing Julia, the Dachshund with them. All told, 5 dogs, one 2 month old, 8 adults. Two of the dogs are barkers-Julia and the long haired Chihuahua. Oh my!

After a bit of visiting, we decided to get people to the beach and launch the boat. Jay's wife and my SIL took baby Cole to the beach. My brother, Jay, and I went to launch the boat. In spite of checking the motor in the driveway before leaving, after getting it into the water-dead battery. Charger at home. ;) Brother's language makes a sailor blush! So back to the cottage, and the pandemonium of 4 dogs.

The good thing, my kids arrived while we charging the batter, again. So they got the Jayco trailer set up and Febreezed it and put their stuff away. I knew I had a bedroom, as did Jay, Angie and Cole, and my brother. Luckily that old camper where my parents used to put the kids is still working fine. The 3 of them and the two dogs were going to be out there. ;)

Finally we got the boat off, with coolers, more chairs, and skis. Great day. Low humidity and 88, perfect for boat, swimming and holding baby. :laugh2:
My SIL and I skipped tubing and skiing, but did get in swimming and lots of baby time. My brother has 2 speeds of driving boat, fast and faster. The daughter's boyfriend seems to have perhaps cracked a rib after flying with the tube back onto water. Luckily it didn't seem as bad yesterday, we managed to get back to the house for barbeque, then back to the boat to watch the fireworks, which were spectacular and reflected on the water.

Seems some people spend major change on fireworks too, we had a secondary showing all the way back to the dock at around 10:30. After Cole was fed, bathed, and put to sleep, we had bonfire with almond champagne from local winery. Awesome! Since two trees were taken down on property, we had the fire going until 2 am. After everyone went to bed, my brother and I took in the stars for another hour. Damn, it was gorgeous.

This morning we were at the beach by 11 and the kids went tubing again, though the BF just spotted. We left by 1 and went to nearby town on Illinois River to watch the parade. City population=less than 3k. A farm supporting community, a mix of prefab and huge old houses. Lots of character. Politicians, a high school dance squad of 8 girls, a huge number of Cub Cadet mini tractors, etc. A carnival in center square. Great times.

Unfortunately the weather turned real nasty. The river is already past flood stage, so didn't look good for the fireworks tonight. My kids, Jay and his wife and baby left. My brother's youngest and her boyfriend were heading to the cottage for the evening festivities. After waiting another couple hours and bad weather just recycling I decided to get home before dark, so here I am.

My folks had left the house to my brother since he loves everything about the area and has the money to maintain and provide the toys. Both of us can remember when my parents were the ones doing all the entertaining and driving the boats.

Our kids grew up spending huge chunks of their summers there. Then when they hit late middle school and high school they didn't want to take the time away from friends, work, activities. Suddenly now it's once again the place to 'be.' They're planning to have a bunch of their friends, spouses, boyfriends, girlfriends, kids there next month. Us older folks said we'll pass on that extravaganza.

This is when I say, 'Gee, I'm so happy with the family I landed with, in spite of any problems we've had.'

Happy 4th!