PDA

View Full Version : Teachers’ Union Shuns Obama Aides at Convention

Psychoblues
07-04-2010, 11:49 PM
Our system of education in this country is in as bad a need for reform as our financial industry, our energy industry, our health industry and others. There will come a time when the American people will become so sick and tired of the back sniping and lying by our politicians that surely a positive change will be our only choice for survival. In the meantime I guess the idiots that have no solutions but only a compliant media for rebel rousing will dominate our airwaves and conversations.

This is an interesting article that I found today.

By SAM DILLON
Published: July 4, 2010

NEW ORLEANS — For two years as a presidential candidate, Barack Obama addressed educators gathered for the summer conventions of the two national teachers’ unions, and last year both groups rolled out the welcome mat for Education Secretary Arne Duncan.
Enlarge This Image
C.S. Muncy for The New York Times

The National Education Association's convention began Saturday. No one from the Obama administration is set to speak.

But in a sign of the Obama administration’s strained relations with two of its most powerful political allies, no federal official was scheduled to speak at either convention this month, partly because union officials feared that administration speakers would face heckling.

The largest union’s meeting opened here on Saturday to a drumbeat of heated rhetoric, with several speakers calling for Mr. Duncan’s resignation, hooting delegates voting for a resolution criticizing federal programs for “undermining public education,” and the union’s president summing up 18 months of Obama education policies by saying, “This is not the change I hoped for.”

“Today our members face the most anti-educator, anti-union, anti-student environment I have ever experienced,” Dennis Van Roekel, president of the union, the National Education Association, told thousands of members gathered at the convention center here.

President Obama and Mr. Duncan have supported historic increases in school financing to stave off teacher layoffs while seeking to shake up public education with support for charter schools, the dismissal of ineffective teachers as a way of turning around failing schools, and other policies. That agenda has spurred fast-paced changes, including adoption of new teacher evaluation systems in many states and school districts, often with the collaboration of teachers’ unions.

But it has also angered many teachers, who say they are being blamed for all the problems in public schools...................

Much More: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/05/education/05teachers.html?_r=1

Perhaps we can all be of some benefit to ourselves, our country and each other if we stop being petty with each other and honestly discuss issues and viable solutions.

God Bless You All

But, I ain't gonna quit drinkin', OK?

:beer::salute::beer:

Psychoblues

actsnoblemartin
07-05-2010, 12:59 AM
well said

namvet
07-05-2010, 09:15 AM
is it me or did hell just freeze over ????

crin63
07-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Our system of education in this country is in as bad a need for reform as our financial industry, our energy industry, our health industry and others. There will come a time when the American people will become so sick and tired of the back sniping and lying by our politicians that surely a positive change will be our only choice for survival. In the meantime I guess the idiots that have no solutions but only a compliant media for rebel rousing will dominate our airwaves and conversations.

The time has come and the, "Tea Party" movement is here. God willing in November there will be a house cleaning (pun intended) and the RINO's, Liberals, Progressives and Democrats will be thrown out of office in droves.

KitchenKitten99
07-05-2010, 10:36 AM
Is this too good to be true?

Psychoblues
07-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Is this too good to be true?

I'm not exactly certain of what you're trying to say, fuzk, but if you are attempting to create dialogue on the dichotomy of the President and the teachers union I am happy to discuss.

Psychoblues

KitchenKitten99
07-06-2010, 10:07 AM
I'm not exactly certain of what you're trying to say, fuzk, but if you are attempting to create dialogue on the dichotomy of the President and the teachers union I am happy to discuss.

Psychoblues

The people in the Teachers' Union are actually paying attention to things and adding up what's going on and seeing the likely outcome. Though what they are thinking as a whole is not clear, this is definitely a start.