PDA

View Full Version : GOP tries to nationalize elections; Dems resisting

red states rule
07-05-2010, 06:09 AM
Dems are very scared of having to face the voters. This election will be a referendum on Obama, and people are very uspet over the hope and change that has been rammed down their throats

WASHINGTON — Democrats and Republicans are framing the elections in starkly different terms, with GOP strategists painting it as a national referendum on President Barack Obama and the party in power, and Democrats working feverishly to make all politics local.

The outcome will help determine whether Republicans take control of the House, the Senate or both. It also may profoundly affect Obama's agenda for the next two years.

Republicans have every reason to try to nationalize the Nov. 2 election, when voters will fill all 435 House seats, 36 Senate seats and 37 governorships. Democrats succeeded in the elections of 2006 and 2008 by focusing on President George W. Bush's tenure, Republicans' performance in Congress and the Iraq war; the GOP hopes to turn the tables now.

Polls show significant discontent with policies linked to Obama and congressional Democrats, including rising deficits and bank bailouts. The latest AP-GfK survey found that 60 percent of those questioned think the nation is heading in the wrong direction, and 73 percent disapprove of the Democratic-led Congress.

Polls also show significantly higher energy and enthusiasm among conservative voters than liberals.

GOP strategists believe they can sustain this wave and ride it to victory if they can focus voters' attention on overarching complaints against Obama and Democratic lawmakers: government overreach, big spending, Washington intrusion.

"It's going to be a national election," said Rep. Pete Sessions of Texas, head of the Republican committee overseeing House races. He said Republicans will run on broad themes, such as arguing that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's agenda for health care, energy and labor unions is destroying jobs.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5j5A_2Fvwn91stYXB8PNHOpzVJTCgD9GODGP80

red states rule
07-05-2010, 06:25 AM
This CBS Pol has been up for nearly 7 months - cast your vote and check out the results

Voters are clearly rejecting the hope and change

I am surprised the libs at CBA have not closed the poll and taken down the link

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-6116297-503544.html?tag=

Sweetchuck
07-05-2010, 12:44 PM
I have a big concern.

Everyone's busy predicting landslides in November. I'm not sure about that. First, Democrats are planning something and timing is everything and who knows that that is. Second, the average voter is a fucking brainless idiot. Come November, they might be pacified with something else. We, collectively, have a short time span. 9/11 is long forgotten for example and if the unenployment rate drops by 1% or so by some miracle in October, it might be enough of a bone tossed to the mongrel voters.

We'll see what happens.

DragonStryk72
07-05-2010, 01:17 PM
Problem is, All of the dems backed Obama, and they have to stand for that now, so questions about the effects of his policies are perfectly valid. It is sort of telling that they're trying to keep people from looking at that connection though.

Sweetchuck
07-05-2010, 01:23 PM
Problem is, All of the dems backed Obama, and they have to stand for that now, so questions about the effects of his policies are perfectly valid. It is sort of telling that they're trying to keep people from looking at that connection though.

I have Fox News on and they just had this guy talking bout this sort of thing. According to this guy, 60% of voters blame the financial crisis on Bush and 25% blame it on BO. Perception is reality with people and while I don't disagree that GW had his shortcomings with the economy, the disaster was a product of practices that have been in place for maybe decades.

The reality from where I see it is that the financial crisis happened, I don't blame GW fully for it but BO's strategies are turning the crisis into a disaster.

red states rule
07-05-2010, 02:47 PM
The liberal media is still wavng the pom poms and makes sure other liberals in the media sprew their economic plans

“The side that talks about the need to rein in the federal government” is “not very rational,” yet “is winning” the debate over whether to pass another “stimulus” bill, Al Hunt regretted on Sunday’s This Week on ABC.

The former Washington Bureau Chief for the Wall Street Journal, who’s Washington Editor for Bloomberg where he hosts Bloomberg TV’s Political Capital show, fretted over how “right now, that argument – that we have to rein in because the stimulus didn’t work -- well, I think most economists would say the stimulus did work in the sense it would have been a lot worse if there hadn’t been one.”

Hunt’s assessment came in reaction to an outnumbered Dan Senor, the lone voice on the panel against additional government spending to spur the economy and who warned of a Greece in our future. New York Times columnist Paul Krugman charged the 2009 stimulus bill wasn’t big enough and proposed that in the face of a likely $20 trillion debt in ten years, “whether we borrow another $500 billion now” is “really trivial,” Cynthia Tucker of the Atlanta Constitution yearned for a new “robust stimulus” and Jorge Ramos of Univision declared: “We need more government intervention.”

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-baker/2010/07/05/calls-rein-federal-government-are-not-very-rational-al-hunt-declares-ab

red states rule
07-05-2010, 03:03 PM
I have a big concern.

Everyone's busy predicting landslides in November. I'm not sure about that. First, Democrats are planning something and timing is everything and who knows that that is. Second, the average voter is a fucking brainless idiot. Come November, they might be pacified with something else. We, collectively, have a short time span. 9/11 is long forgotten for example and if the unenployment rate drops by 1% or so by some miracle in October, it might be enough of a bone tossed to the mongrel voters.

We'll see what happens.

The voters do not look stupid to me. In fact, Dems should cringe when they read what the voters are saying

Americans continue to overwhelmingly embrace the ideals articulated in the Declaration of Independence. Eighty-eight percent (88%) believe we are endowed by our Creator with certain inalienable rights” and 68% believe that “governments derive their only just authority from the consent of the governed.” Fifty-four percent (54%) believe that the United States is truly a land of “liberty and justice for all.”

Sixty percent (60%) favor repeal of the new health care law, but just 41% think repeal is even somewhat likely. Forty-three percent (43%) believe repeal would be good for the economy while 27% believe it would be bad.

Just 29% believe the president’s economic stimulus package has helped the economy while 43% believe it has hurt. Voters say that decisions made by business owners following their own self-interest will create more jobs than decisions made by government officials. Consumer and investor confidence are both down slightly since the beginning of 2010 and down sharply since early May.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/var/plain/storage/images/media/obama_index_graphics/july_2010/obama_approval_index_july_02_2010/328080-1-eng-US/obama_approval_index_july_02_2010.jpg

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/obama_administration/daily_presidential_tracking_poll

red states rule
07-05-2010, 03:08 PM

http://www.strangepolitics.com/images/content/165072.jpg

gabosaurus
07-06-2010, 10:23 AM
Yet you thought it was stupid and outrageous when Dems tried to make the 2004 election a referendum on the Bush administration. :rolleyes:

red states rule
07-07-2010, 06:48 AM
Yet you thought it was stupid and outrageous when Dems tried to make the 2004 election a referendum on the Bush administration. :rolleyes:

Please show me where I posted it was stupid and outrageous when Dems tried to make the 2004 election a referendum on the Bush administration.

I was pleased to see Dems step up and tell Americans how the war was lost in Iraq, how our troops were cold blooded killers, how John Kerry supported a "global test" before the US defended itself, and how Kerry "supported the bill before he voted against it"

I supported Dems putting out kook fairy tales how Pres Bush was behind the 9-11 attacks. The same man libs said could not string two sentences together without screwing them up pulled off the greatest crime in world history

When Dems are honest and open abut what they stand for in national elections Gabby - they lose

You are way to young Gabby, but I also remember Walter Mondale in a debate with Pres Reagan looking into the camera and telling America "Pres Reagan will not tell you he will raise your taxes - but I just did"

Reagan won 49 states

red states rule
07-07-2010, 07:07 AM
Seems to me Dems and Obama are making the job of conservative candidates much easier

56% Oppose Justice Department Challenge of Arizona Immigration Law

64% in Arizona Say Children of Illegal Immigrants Should Not Automatically Become U.S. Citizens

60% Favor Repeal of Health Care Law, Just 41% See Repeal as Likely

67% Say Cities Have No Right To Ban Handguns

60% Support Offshore Drilling, Still Critical Of Obama And Oil Companies

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/

Looks like Obama and Dems are giving several one finger salutes to the voters 4 months from the elections

red states rule
07-07-2010, 07:14 AM

BTW Gabby, I do hope I see alot more of Pres Obama on TV during the election. This is one time I would never get tired of seeing him stumping for other Democrats, and telling the voters all about his message of hope and change

Obama has a record on that I do support 100%

http://media.townhall.com/Townhall/Car/b/mrz052310dAPR20100524072736.jpg