PDA

View Full Version : Dish Network

glockmail
07-09-2010, 05:53 PM
Does anyone have this? I'm going to sign up. If you call the 800 number for a referral code then give it to me you can save $5 for the next ten months.

Trinity
07-09-2010, 07:27 PM
I've had dish and hated it. I prefer directv.... customer service is much better plus they speak English and it's rare that I lose my signal........ dish..... if there was a cloud in the sky I lost my signal. Cost wise is pretty much the same.

glockmail
07-09-2010, 07:47 PM
I got a referral code from another poster at another site. 2 bad, slackers...

Trinity
07-09-2010, 07:55 PM
I got a referral code from another poster at another site. 2 bad, slackers...

Ok well directv has the same deal except its $50.00 off your bill for each referral up to 10 per year.

Binky
07-09-2010, 11:05 PM
I have Charter.....no more dish for me.....

SassyLady
07-10-2010, 01:43 AM
I have Dish .... love it...have had it for six years.

glockmail
07-14-2010, 02:28 PM
They installed it Monday. I told them in a note that it would be installed on a chimney and to bring a tall ladder. This is the only acceptable location as well as being the best possible one. It cannot be seen from the street or from my back deck; there are no possibilities for a tree to obstruct it. He showed up at 12:30 with a 20' ladder, told me he'd have to call his manager for a 40' ladder then asked me if he could put it somewhere else instead.

So he waited around for nearly 4 hours until his manager brought the ladder. Then the manager told me that a section of deck railing was in the way of the ladder and asked me if they could put it some where else. I took the railing down in 5 minutes.

The manager wanted to leave by five so called up a second technician to help with the ladder, and another hour goes by. These guys didn't finish up until 7:30 and I pulled the wire through the attic down to the basement for them.

My TV is about 18 years old so doesn't get HD but I get all HD channels.

Last night a huge rainstorm blew through and the system was out for about 30 minutes.

glockmail
07-14-2010, 02:29 PM
I have Dish .... love it...have had it for six years.
Thnx for the PM but that's the offer I got anyway.

Gaffer
07-14-2010, 04:31 PM
They installed it Monday. I told them in a note that it would be installed on a chimney and to bring a tall ladder. This is the only acceptable location as well as being the best possible one. It cannot be seen from the street or from my back deck; there are no possibilities for a tree to obstruct it. He showed up at 12:30 with a 20' ladder, told me he'd have to call his manager for a 40' ladder then asked me if he could put it somewhere else instead.

So he waited around for nearly 4 hours until his manager brought the ladder. Then the manager told me that a section of deck railing was in the way of the ladder and asked me if they could put it some where else. I took the railing down in 5 minutes.

The manager wanted to leave by five so called up a second technician to help with the ladder, and another hour goes by. These guys didn't finish up until 7:30 and I pulled the wire through the attic down to the basement for them.

Last night a huge rainstorm blew through and the system was out for about 30 minutes.

Sounds about par for dish. We have direct tv here. It's better IMO. At least when we call tech assistance we get someone that speaks English and not a pakistani.

Most of those installers are contractors that try to get by with as little effort as they can. All satellites lose the picture in a big thunder storm. Direct TV doesn't lose it often tho. When we had dish we would lose it with just a small amount of cloud cover. One good things about it is you get way more choices of channels than cable.

namvet
07-14-2010, 04:48 PM

rainstorms. that is a problem with dish

glockmail
07-14-2010, 05:44 PM
Sounds about par for dish. We have direct tv here. It's better IMO. At least when we call tech assistance we get someone that speaks English and not a pakistani.

Most of those installers are contractors that try to get by with as little effort as they can. All satellites lose the picture in a big thunder storm. Direct TV doesn't lose it often tho. When we had dish we would lose it with just a small amount of cloud cover. One good things about it is you get way more choices of channels than cable.

The guy that they sent out was originally from Peru. Since he was around so long we got to talk quite a bit. There were political problems in his country so his family moved to New Jersey, and he lived there for several years before he found better opportunity in North Carolina. Very knowledgeable guy; not great with English but understandable.

The manager was a native North Carolinian and as far as I can tell was lazy. The second tech was the same way. One was white and one was black.

All three guys work directly for the franchise and all drive the company repair vans.

The Peruvian guy was #1 in the franchise last month, just passed "level 3" whatever that means, and will probably be the other guys boss in a few years.

Direct TV was $55 for the minimum package while Dish Network was $40. I dumped the cable because they went up to $50 from $45.

namvet
07-14-2010, 07:10 PM
The guy that they sent out was originally from Peru. Since he was around so long we got to talk quite a bit. There were political problems in his country so his family moved to New Jersey, and he lived there for several years before he found better opportunity in North Carolina. Very knowledgeable guy; not great with English but understandable.

The manager was a native North Carolinian and as far as I can tell was lazy. The second tech was the same way. One was white and one was black.

All three guys work directly for the franchise and all drive the company repair vans.

The Peruvian guy was #1 in the franchise last month, just passed "level 3" whatever that means, and will probably be the other guys boss in a few years.

Direct TV was $55 for the minimum package while Dish Network was $40. I dumped the cable because they went up to $50 from $45.

we have just basic cable. 37 a mon. but we don't watch a lot of TV. where cable gets you is the box, 10 a mon plus the tier. I rented a box in April to watch the Pacific series on HBO. i went up to about 110 a mon. but the also include road runner high speed. its a racket

glockmail
07-15-2010, 07:58 AM
we have just basic cable. 37 a mon. but we don't watch a lot of TV. where cable gets you is the box, 10 a mon plus the tier. I rented a box in April to watch the Pacific series on HBO. i went up to about 110 a mon. but the also include road runner high speed. its a racketRoad runner just went up to $45 for a two year contract. I'm keeping it because its still better than anything else (for now).

I use to pay $7/ month for basic cable, and I mean basic; local channels only. The FNC came out and I had to have it. Now I'm hooked in HIST, USA and my wife likes HGTV.

namvet
07-15-2010, 08:33 AM
Road runner just went up to $45 for a two year contract. I'm keeping it because its still better than anything else (for now).

I use to pay $7/ month for basic cable, and I mean basic; local channels only. The FNC came out and I had to have it. Now I'm hooked in HIST, USA and my wife likes HGTV.

i just don't watch that much TV anymore. primetime for me is a wipe out. I do watch AMCTV, TCM, History and net geo.
now my wife is a primetime freek. but i got a spare in the bedroom. keeps the peace.

glockmail
07-15-2010, 09:34 AM
i just don't watch that much TV anymore. primetime for me is a wipe out. I do watch AMCTV, TCM, History and net geo.
now my wife is a primetime freek. but i got a spare in the bedroom. keeps the peace. I rarely watch network "prime time". I will, however, tune in to USA for their two spy shows.

Just fired the cable guy, and got them to give me the promo rate for Road Runner for the next 12 months, $40. So my Internet/ TV bill went from $100/ month to $65, and in 12 months to $85.

namvet
07-15-2010, 10:09 AM
I rarely watch network "prime time". I will, however, tune in to USA for their two spy shows.

Just fired the cable guy, and got them to give me the promo rate for Road Runner for the next 12 months, $40. So my Internet/ TV bill went from $100/ month to $65, and in 12 months to $85.

good for you. I like the high speed. and you can get it turbo charged if you want. in addition to other things it downloads MS updates fast as well. you might get a few you might get a ton !!!!!

Gaffer
07-15-2010, 10:29 PM
I wish I could get high speed. I'm stuck with the local phone companies 3rd world service. I can walk faster than their high speed.

namvet
07-16-2010, 08:14 AM
I wish I could get high speed. I'm stuck with the local phone companies 3rd world service. I can walk faster than their high speed.

went i went online in 2000 i had dial up. what a loser. sometime you had to wait so long you needed a shave !!!!! plus it was on my phone line so no one could call in. I had to install a 2nd phone line.

BTY this high speed does not have the blinding speed they advertise. its fast but not that fast.

Gaffer
07-16-2010, 08:31 AM
went i went online in 2000 i had dial up. what a loser. sometime you had to wait so long you needed a shave !!!!! plus it was on my phone line so no one could call in. I had to install a 2nd phone line.

BTY this high speed does not have the blinding speed they advertise. its fast but not that fast.

Mine is not very fast. The worst part is it never stays connected. A rainy day means not a lot of internet activity for me. I too had dial up years ago. Some of the dial up companies could have rivaled my present high speed. I remember the days of having a 1200 baud modem and waiting for the page to load. I'm reminded of it sometimes with my present server. Watch the picture load one line at a time.

namvet
07-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Mine is not very fast. The worst part is it never stays connected. A rainy day means not a lot of internet activity for me. I too had dial up years ago. Some of the dial up companies could have rivaled my present high speed. I remember the days of having a 1200 baud modem and waiting for the page to load. I'm reminded of it sometimes with my present server. Watch the picture load one line at a time.

my sister has DSL. its faster than dial up but not much. add to it she paid the subscriber close to 200 buck to come out and install the hardware on her PC. what a rip off. she's constantly calling me to help out with problems she's having.
some justify slower speeds because they don't the PC that much. but if you online a lot, like me, you can justify higher cost and speed.
well here's hoping some day its available to you

glockmail
07-16-2010, 08:55 AM
I wish I could get high speed. I'm stuck with the local phone companies 3rd world service. I can walk faster than their high speed. Holy shit.

In my work I specify a lot of different building and related products. I had 6 or seven shelves full of catalogs for that stuff, and most of it was always out of date. I worked for big companies and we'd literally have hallways lined with bookshelves full of that junk. I'd start a project and one of the first things to do was to review the products needed, call the manufacturers then ask them to mail updates, typically a two week process. Last minute stuff was all faxes and paper, paper, paper.

Within a week of getting a cable modem I realized that I was free from that shitty task forever. When I need info I download the latest direct from the manufacturer. The next three months every trash pick-up day the top of my trash can was jammed full of old catalogs.

Its been a job-altering tool for me.

namvet
07-16-2010, 08:57 AM
Holy shit.

In my work I specify a lot of different building and related products. I had 6 or seven shelves full of catalogs for that stuff, and most of it was always out of date. I worked for big companies and we'd literally have hallways lined with bookshelves full of that junk. I'd start a project and one of the first things to do was to review the products needed, call the manufacturers then ask them to mail updates, typically a two week process. Last minute stuff was all faxes and paper, paper, paper.

Within a week of getting a cable modem I realized that I was free from that shitty task forever. When I need info I download the latest direct from the manufacturer. The next three months every trash pick-up day the top of my trash can was jammed full of old catalogs.

TWC offers a business class high speed as well.

Gaffer
07-16-2010, 09:44 AM
Holy shit.

A prime example of my servers speed is youtube. To watch a two minute video I have to wait ten minutes for the buffer. So I skip a lot of youtube posts.