PDA

View Full Version : Hair

Sweetchuck
07-09-2010, 11:16 PM
We have a dog, picked him up from the pound a couple years ago. Cute little black puppy, had no idea what breed he was.

He got a little bigger than I expected. Not too big, but a fairly big dog. We think he's part black lab. The other part, we're not sure. Maybe Snuffleupagus.

Anyway, he has this really weird hair. It grows out of his legs, tail, underbelly, ears, neck. Really bushy. He sheds like hell now, hair is everywhere. We tried bathing him and brushing it out but it's still everywhere. I'm thinking of taking some shears and cutting him back, like a GI buzz.

Any advice?

Mr. P
07-09-2010, 11:28 PM
We have a dog, picked him up from the pound a couple years ago. Cute little black puppy, had no idea what breed he was.

He got a little bigger than I expected. Not too big, but a fairly big dog. We think he's part black lab. The other part, we're not sure. Maybe Snuffleupagus.

Anyway, he has this really weird hair. It grows out of his legs, tail, underbelly, ears, neck. Really bushy. He sheds like hell now, hair is everywhere. We tried bathing him and brushing it out but it's still everywhere. I'm thinking of taking some shears and cutting him back, like a GI buzz.

Any advice?
It works ok but not 100%..we do it to our Golden each summer.
Pet groomers do this all the time.

SassyLady
07-10-2010, 01:37 AM
It works ok but not 100%..we do it to our Golden each summer.
Pet groomers do this all the time.

I have a schnauzer and we cut his hair off all the time...sometimes I do it and sometimes I get the groomer to clean up all the mistakes I made! :laugh2:

Trinity
07-10-2010, 09:11 AM
I have a Great Pyrenees talk about hair....oh my god.....I just shaved him down about two weeks ago and I'm seriously considering taking him to my ex neighbor who has shears for his goats and letting him shear him for me cause I'm not liking the $80.00 to $100.00 price the groomer is wanting to charge me.

Sweetchuck
07-10-2010, 09:01 PM
I'm not taking him to the groomers - I'm not even sure if there is one within a hundred miles of me. We're lucky we have a vet in our county.

I have a beard shaver my wife bought me when I grew a beard. I shaved it off a while ago and I was thinking about using that, but I'm guessing it's not going to work very well.

Trigg
07-12-2010, 08:23 PM
we have an, I think, Australian Shepperd mix that I shave every summer, sometime twice.

Otherwise he sheds like nothing you've ever seen before. Sure, he looks a little funny for a month, but he feels so much better without all that hair.