PDA

View Full Version : Carmen the Boxer

SassyLady
07-11-2010, 12:54 AM
Well, I took my schnauzer in to be groomed like I do every six weeks or so and this time I made the mistake of walking past the pets for adoption section set up outside and foolishly made eye contact with a little boxer named Carmen!! :slap:

I have two dogs already and the last thing I need is another dog.....but I know when it's time to surrender to what is put in my path. The minute I saw her and she looked at me I started crying....and still can't tell you why. I think it was the total sadness that she was exuding. All the other dogs were up yapping like banshees, but she was sitting there looking out with a "calgon, please take me away from this insanity" look....and shivering from the overwhelming stress of the situation. And yet she was still very calm and resigned looking.

Carmen is a boxer who they think is between 4-6 years old. She was a backyard breeder and had a litter of pups when she was rescued. She also had a large tumor on her throat where her collar goes ... has a surgery wound that is in the healing stages now. They think she must have been confined in a cage most of the time .... she is very skittish and doesn't like loud sounds or hands waving in the air ... so she might have been abused.

She is very sweet and non-aggressive to other dogs; is not comfortable with tall men, kids and sudden movements. However, I've been with her almost 12hours now and she has yet to bark ... could be the throat surgery. She will not let us out of her sight and seems to have a very strong pack mentality. She wants the people and the dogs to be in the same place at the same time. Unfortunately, we have two acres and we all go our different directions so she is a little confused as to who to follow! :laugh2:

So....I've never had a boxer before and have never even entertained the thought of having one ....but she seems pretty sweet. She is not trained with any commands at this time and needs to be socialized more .... and wants to be in the house all the time. I think she'll get past that by hanging with the other dogs .... they want to be outside roaming the property all the time socializing with the 14 other dogs from the four other properties that border ours.

Guess I've been adopted.....I'll keep you posted about her progress.

SassyLady
07-14-2010, 12:35 AM
Carmen met the grandkids today .... everyone loves everyone!!! She was handing out kisses and doing just fine until they started to play.... she is very skittish when it comes to loud noises. I figure after three weeks of being around the kids while they are playing should help her realize that there will be no correlation between loud noise and abuse. Poor thing ... I think she has some type of hearing problem .... even the wind chimes will startle her when they start up.

She has no idea how to play ... not with the me, the kids or the other dogs. My goals are to put some weight on her, desensitize her to noise, and teach her how to play.

Oh........and the kids want to change her name to Lilah. Everyone said she's too sweet to be a firecracker type like Carmen and Lilah seems more sedate and shy.

Jeff
07-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Boxers are a great breed, my sister has 2 , they are great with her kids and listen fairly well, LOL, ya have to know my sister to understand that is a great thing, LOL

Work with this dog and I bet you have a excellent pet, she will be loyal and always loving

Good luck with her :thumb:

Abbey Marie
07-28-2010, 04:43 PM
You are a sweetheart to take her in. :clap:
Boxers have such a cool face. Can you post a pic of Lilah?

SassyLady
07-29-2010, 01:16 AM
You are a sweetheart to take her in. :clap:
Boxers have such a cool face. Can you post a pic of Lilah?

http://www.noahspets.org/animals/detail?AnimalID=2440193

Isn't she cute!!!??? :dance: