PDA

View Full Version : Sweat In Your House To Save The Planet

red states rule
07-13-2010, 05:27 AM
The enviro wackos are really nuts. I wonder how many of them do not have a/c in their house - or if they have it - do not turn it on

In the heat wave, the case against air conditioning

By Stan Cox
Sunday, July 11, 2010; B03

Washington didn't grind to a sweaty halt last week under triple-digit temperatures. People didn't even slow down. Instead, the three-day, 100-plus-degree, record-shattering heat wave prompted Washingtonians to crank up their favorite humidity-reducing, electricity-bill-busting, fluorocarbon-filled appliance: the air conditioner.

This isn't smart. In a country that's among the world's highest greenhouse-gas emitters, air conditioning is one of the worst power-guzzlers. The energy required to air-condition American homes and retail spaces has doubled since the early 1990s. Turning buildings into refrigerators burns fossil fuels, which emits greenhouse gases, which raises global temperatures, which creates a need for -- you guessed it -- more air-conditioning.

A.C.'s obvious public-health benefits during severe heat waves do not justify its lavish use in everyday life for months on end. Less than half a century ago, America thrived with only the spottiest use of air conditioning. It could again. While central air will always be needed in facilities such as hospitals, archives and cooling centers for those who are vulnerable to heat, what would an otherwise A.C.-free Washington look like?

At home

Homeowners from Ward 8 to the Palisades pry open double-hung windows that were painted shut decades ago. In the air-conditioned age, fear of crime was often cited by people reluctant to open their homes to night breezes. In Washington, as in most of the world's warm cities, window grilles (not "bars," please) are now standard.

In renovation and new construction alike, high ceilings, better cross-ventilation, whole-house fans, screened porches, basements and white "cool roofs" to reflect solar rays become de rigueur. Home utility bills plummet.

Families unplug as many heat-generating appliances as possible. Forget clothes dryers --post-A.C. neighborhoods are crisscrossed with clotheslines. The hot stove is abandoned for the grill, and dinner is eaten on the porch.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/09/AR2010070902341_pf.html

KitchenKitten99
07-13-2010, 09:13 AM
He can not turn on his A/C all he wants. But considering I spend all morning in a kitchen (complete in chef coat, hat, etc) that can get to over 100 degrees, then drive 40 miles home in temps in the 80's (i have a/c in my car tho) and then I get home... trust me, I want to sit in climate controlled coolness for a while.

Then at night, the Mr. *CANNOT* sleep if the humidity and temps get over a certain point. He tosses and turns, so we have to have the A/C on, otherwise he gets sleep deprived.

HogTrash
07-13-2010, 01:13 PM
I have a very high tolerance for heat when I am in the great outdoors, but nearly zero tolerance for the heat of confined indoor spaces so turn up the AC.

KitchenKitten99
07-13-2010, 01:31 PM
I have a very high tolerance for heat when I am in the great outdoors, but nearly zero tolerance for the heat of confined indoor spaces so turn up the AC.

I actually do too, as far as tolerance. The Mr. calls me a 'lizard' because regardless of being born and raised here in MN, I thrive in warm, humid, tropical temps. I am miserable in the cold... but family kind of keeps me here. When my kids are older, likely graduated, we will probably move to warmer climate... possibly even the Cayman Islands...

HogTrash
07-13-2010, 02:00 PM
I actually do too, as far as tolerance. The Mr. calls me a 'lizard' because regardless of being born and raised here in MN, I thrive in warm, humid, tropical temps. I am miserable in the cold... but family kind of keeps me here. When my kids are older, likely graduated, we will probably move to warmer climate... possibly even the Cayman Islands...I have heard that residents of the British Cayman Islands pay very high european style taxes and that citizenship is hard to come by.

I'm not sure of the accuracy of this information or if it is up to date, but you might want to check it out first.

namvet
07-13-2010, 02:26 PM
I actually do too, as far as tolerance. The Mr. calls me a 'lizard' because regardless of being born and raised here in MN, I thrive in warm, humid, tropical temps. I am miserable in the cold... but family kind of keeps me here. When my kids are older, likely graduated, we will probably move to warmer climate... possibly even the Cayman Islands...

im just the opposite. I thrive in the cold and melt in the heat.

Sweetchuck
07-13-2010, 06:12 PM
You can hang meat in my office, but when I get home - I don't care much for AC unless it's really hot.

red states rule
07-14-2010, 04:06 AM
If libs are so worried about Mother Earth, they can show their concern by turning off the A/C in the White House and all of Congress

Their concern will last about 15 minutes before the A/C is turned back on

DragonStryk72
07-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Actually, I don't use A/C, but it's for completely different reasoning. See, a few years ago, I rented what was the shittiest place I've ever lived in. It was still being renovated, so no carpets, some walls weren't fully done yet, there was no hot water or A/C. At the same time, a huge heat wave rolled in, and put the temps in the triple digits for a solid week.

At first, I was sweating like a madman, I admit, and I missed the A/C. But as the week wore on, the severe sweating stopped, and it became more comfortable out for me. My body adapted to the heat, and kept me all nice and cooled off, so that it was now fun going outside again. That was the moment of my epiphany, that it is air conditioning that is killing our tolerance for heat, since any time it gets over 70-80 degrees, we don't really feel it.

krisy
07-14-2010, 12:45 PM
Our thieving energy company has a device that they can place on your a.c. unit outside that can shut it off for several minutes an hour when the energy usage is getting high on very hot days. You get a $35 credit on your bill if you opt to do it.

I refuse,because even tho it's voluntary to have the device put on,I HATE the idea of them controlling my ac. Duke energy asks for rate increases a lot and can have no mercy when you have trouble with your bill. Mine is paid in full :coffee:

as far as just turning it off....no way. My husbnad and I work physically demanding jobs and come home hot.Especially my husband. I am willing to turn the thermostat up to save on my bill tho. Also,we have a cape cod and the upstairs is like a sauna. The ac unit does not push the air up there so we have to run a window unti at night so we can sleep. It gets over 100 degrees up there and I like to be cold when I sleep.

red states rule
07-15-2010, 05:53 AM
Our thieving energy company has a device that they can place on your a.c. unit outside that can shut it off for several minutes an hour when the energy usage is getting high on very hot days. You get a $35 credit on your bill if you opt to do it.

I refuse,because even tho it's voluntary to have the device put on,I HATE the idea of them controlling my ac. Duke energy asks for rate increases a lot and can have no mercy when you have trouble with your bill. Mine is paid in full :coffee:

as far as just turning it off....no way. My husbnad and I work physically demanding jobs and come home hot.Especially my husband. I am willing to turn the thermostat up to save on my bill tho. Also,we have a cape cod and the upstairs is like a sauna. The ac unit does not push the air up there so we have to run a window unti at night so we can sleep. It gets over 100 degrees up there and I like to be cold when I sleep.

I refuse to suffer in the heat. It will be about 96 here so why turn the hosue into a steam room?

I pay the bil,l so what business is it of busybody lefties?

The cats also like the A/C. A couple of them lie on the floor vents and enjoy the cool air

The only time I cut back on the A/C is if I see ice forming on their wiskers

namvet
07-15-2010, 07:51 AM

I got the same offer. only it was a free wall thermostat they would have control of. we declined. we've have an electronic programmable thermostat for years. when both of us worked we programmed it warmer during the day then a cool down before we got home. but im retired now so we leave it set at a fixed temp.

krisy
07-15-2010, 02:24 PM
I refuse to suffer in the heat. It will be about 96 here so why turn the hosue into a steam room?

I pay the bil,l so what business is it of busybody lefties?

The cats also like the A/C. A couple of them lie on the floor vents and enjoy the cool air

The only time I cut back on the A/C is if I see ice forming on their wiskers

That's another thing...my animals. May seem silly to some people,but I have an australian shep and a german/golden mix,both have a lot of hair(especially the australian its borderline ridiculous) and I will not let them be hot while we aren't home. We have cats too. Dodger likes to lay on the vents like your kitties.

krisy
07-15-2010, 02:26 PM
I got the same offer. only it was a free wall thermostat they would have control of. we declined. we've have an electronic programmable thermostat for years. when both of us worked we programmed it warmer during the day then a cool down before we got home. but im retired now so we leave it set at a fixed temp.

We recently bought a digital thermostat and my husband set ours for different times of the day. seems to have made a difference on the first bill.

namvet
07-15-2010, 02:30 PM
That's another thing...my animals. May seem silly to some people,but I have an australian shep and a german/golden mix,both have a lot of hair(especially the australian its borderline ridiculous) and I will not let them be hot while we aren't home. We have cats too. Dodger likes to lay on the vents like your kitties.

we have 2 outdoor cats that have a nice cool garage. but they prefer on these hot days to stay outside. go figure

namvet
07-15-2010, 02:31 PM
We recently bought a digital thermostat and my husband set ours for different times of the day. seems to have made a difference on the first bill.

ours to. only way to fly