PDA

View Full Version : Getting itchy

darin
07-13-2010, 10:40 AM
Just moved to Michigan about 10 months ago. Miss Alabama a great deal. Feeling the urge to move again. Ain't that a bitch?

Mr. P
07-13-2010, 10:56 AM
Just moved to Michigan about 10 months ago. Miss Alabama a great deal. Feeling the urge to move again. Ain't that a bitch?

I was surprised you left Ala. so soon. You really didn't have time to really soak in the good slooow southern way of life.

darin
07-13-2010, 11:18 AM
Well - that was a survival move. My boss was guilty of 'false advertising' to an extent.

On the phone before the move:

"Oh! Yeah - we do X here! You'll fit right in!"

At work, 3 months later:

"Uh? Why would you do X? We don't do X. I would never allow it. Don't lie and say I said we do, because I didn't!"

Followed by:

"Make this happen."

2 weeks later

Me: "I made that happen!"
Boss: "Well, you did it wrong. That's not how I told you to do it!"
Me: "You didn't tell me how. You just said do it. In fact, You knew the way I was doing it because I gave you updates."
Boss: "It's not my responsibility to tell you you're not doing it the way I want you to do it - If you had questions, you should have asked."
Me: "...but I had no questions. I was doing it. You knew the way I was doing it, yet you let me work for two weeks going in the wrong direction? how's that leadership?"
Boss: "Don't be insubordinate!"

etc, Ad nauseam. But...got the grade, and met VERY good people; lifelong friends. A friend of mine took a GS14 at Redstone; I would have a hard time not-accepting if he asked me to be his deputy down there.

First things first - striving to find an assignment in A'stan or Iraq; that's my focus for the foreseeable future. After that, Europe for a few years before settling down stateside.

Bad thing is - In the 10? years it'll take for that to happen, I wont have made any progress on a mortgage/homestead. I want to retire at 57 (that'd put me at 35 years fed service), but I likely won't buy a home in the next 10 years.

Mr. P
07-13-2010, 10:56 PM
Well - that was a survival move. My boss was guilty of 'false advertising' to an extent.

On the phone before the move:

"Oh! Yeah - we do X here! You'll fit right in!"

At work, 3 months later:

"Uh? Why would you do X? We don't do X. I would never allow it. Don't lie and say I said we do, because I didn't!"

Followed by:

"Make this happen."

2 weeks later

Me: "I made that happen!"
Boss: "Well, you did it wrong. That's not how I told you to do it!"
Me: "You didn't tell me how. You just said do it. In fact, You knew the way I was doing it because I gave you updates."
Boss: "It's not my responsibility to tell you you're not doing it the way I want you to do it - If you had questions, you should have asked."
Me: "...but I had no questions. I was doing it. You knew the way I was doing it, yet you let me work for two weeks going in the wrong direction? how's that leadership?"
Boss: "Don't be insubordinate!"

etc, Ad nauseam. But...got the grade, and met VERY good people; lifelong friends. A friend of mine took a GS14 at Redstone; I would have a hard time not-accepting if he asked me to be his deputy down there.

First things first - striving to find an assignment in A'stan or Iraq; that's my focus for the foreseeable future. After that, Europe for a few years before settling down stateside.

Bad thing is - In the 10? years it'll take for that to happen, I wont have made any progress on a mortgage/homestead. I want to retire at 57 (that'd put me at 35 years fed service), but I likely won't buy a home in the next 10 years.

Yeah, a dick for a boss is a problem. Unfortunately they're everywhere.

Would that friend at Redstone be 5stringjeff by chance? I've been wondering how he's doing.

Sweetchuck
07-13-2010, 10:57 PM
Heh, I just moved to Alabama from PA. Landed here this past Sunday.

Mr. P
07-13-2010, 10:59 PM
Heh, I just moved to Alabama from PA. Landed here this past Sunday.

Where, what town?

Sweetchuck
07-13-2010, 11:02 PM
Where, what town?

North of Mobile.

Mr. P
07-13-2010, 11:06 PM
North of Mobile.

Well you won't be disappointed..I KNOW for a FACT there is a Walmart in Mobile. :poke: :laugh2:

darin
07-14-2010, 03:37 AM
Yeah, a dick for a boss is a problem. Unfortunately they're everywhere.

Would that friend at Redstone be 5stringjeff by chance? I've been wondering how he's doing.

Jeff's in Atlanta - left DA for FEMA. He's doing well - supervisory position now. He and I email from time to time to catch up.

North of Mobile.

how far north of mobile? Like...up near Auburn??

gabosaurus
07-14-2010, 12:29 PM
I am just the opposite. I prefer to stay put. I don't want my daughter to have to live a nomadic life.
But I have come across military kids who actually enjoy having their parents move around on a regular basis. They maintain a lot of friends and tend to be very social.

-Cp
07-14-2010, 01:45 PM

Just as long as everything is normal here...

Sweetchuck
07-14-2010, 08:44 PM
Jeff's in Atlanta - left DA for FEMA. He's doing well - supervisory position now. He and I email from time to time to catch up.

how far north of mobile? Like...up near Auburn??

No.