PDA

View Full Version : Being an ethic american...

jon_forward
07-20-2010, 12:57 PM
I have wondered for awhile about this so lets see what worm crawls out of this can. Why does your ethnic background come before American? ie Euro mexican, asian insert whatever than American. To my way of thinking It should be American-whatever. While on my job awhile back I had some discussions with a somewhat mis-guided fellow about this subject. He was A black man that was very proud to be an african-american, after finding out that he was in fact born and raised in chicago I produced a world atlas and asked him to show me where chicago was located in the map. After being called several names he showed me at which time I asked him why Chicago wasnt Located in Africa instead of America being as how he was a so called African- American. He Got the point. Comments??? :poke:

darin
07-20-2010, 12:58 PM
I have no problems with people choosing a 'home of record' of sorts...A couple things I'd ensure:

1) If somebody is Black, they aren't automatically from 'africa'.
2) White becomes 'european-american'.

HogTrash
07-20-2010, 04:34 PM
White-Americans are usually referred to as simply Americans unless their race has something to do with the topic of discussion.

The same is true of european-American...The 'european' part is rarely used unless it has something directly to do with the discussion.

Sweetchuck
07-20-2010, 07:44 PM
I have a huge problem with {insert nationality here}-American designations. It's self-defeating, we are all AMERICANS!.

And, to further my rant, this division is promulgated by ethnic groups. It's the NAACP's, the rrrrrrrrev Jessie Jacksons, Al Sharptons of the world that cause further divide by continually distinguishing racial differences and biases.

And, BO is the icing on the shit cake because he brought the racial divide to a national level. Not by him being a black president - I don't give a shit what color your skin is or what you have (or lack) between your legs, BO is the great divider and he's accomplished this at the class, partisan and racial level.

crin63
07-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Instead of being a melting pot like we used to be where people longed to just be called American. We are now like oil and water never able to completely blend because these hyphenated groups who have to have a specific distinctions so they can make some kind of ridiculous claim to oppression and racism.
They cant get special treatment or handouts without it.

They cant claim abuses without it.

There's too much money and gimme's for them to let go of it now.

LuvRPgrl
07-29-2010, 02:01 AM
I have wondered for awhile about this so lets see what worm crawls out of this can. Why does your ethnic background come before American? ie Euro mexican, asian insert whatever than American. To my way of thinking It should be American-whatever. While on my job awhile back I had some discussions with a somewhat mis-guided fellow about this subject. He was A black man that was very proud to be an african-american, after finding out that he was in fact born and raised in chicago I produced a world atlas and asked him to show me where chicago was located in the map. After being called several names he showed me at which time I asked him why Chicago wasnt Located in Africa instead of America being as how he was a so called African- American. He Got the point. Comments??? :poke:

Yea, my only comment is, I would LOVE to see you go around more often with a world map and talk to people of all persuasions, all day long.

Love the post, love what you said to that guy.

I sat down next to my Mexican neighbors just yesterday. I mentioned how a guy around the corner flies the Mexican flag. I live in San Diego by the way.
Now, I said, I dont like the fact that he flies the Mexican flag, and that I dont think he should.
My neighbor, Freddie, said, really? Why is that.
I simply said, because you fly the flag of where you are, not where you are from. We are in America , not Mexico, and if you want to fly the Mexican flag, go to Mexico and fly it. I mean, should I have a Finish flag (that is NOT a NASCAR reference !!), in my yard, and the next guy over, a flag of Guatamala, and the other guy a French flag?,,, No, we are Americans, and we are in America and we should fly the American flag
Freddie looked at me and with his heavy mexican accent, but speaking in English, said "You are absolutely right"

By the way, only in America can you have a Mexican restaurant named "O'Reilly's Mexican food",,