PDA

View Full Version : Unemployment Is Now A Welfare Benefit

red states rule
07-21-2010, 03:00 AM
Pres Obama is indeed bringing change to America. He is now making unemployment another welfare program

Currently Dems are ready to extend unemployment benfits again. Many states currently pay people not to work for as much as 99 weeks

Nearly 2 years of benefits - and that is not enough?

My question is - how this be? The liberal media has been reporting the recession is over. Obama has boasted how the stimulus bill has saved and created millions of jobs. VP Biden called this the "Summer of Recovery"

And yet the government has to extend the time people are paid not to work?

Pres Obama's Chief Economic advisor Larry Summers pointed out the obvious with this economic fact

"The second way government assistance programs contribute to long-term unemployment is by providing an incentive, and the means, not to work. Each unemployed person has a 'reservation wage'—the minimum wage he or she insists on getting before accepting a job. Unemployment insurance and other social assistance programs increase [the] reservation wage, causing an unemployed person to remain unemployed longer."

KarlMarx
07-21-2010, 06:01 AM
The summer of recovery is like the summer of love. Neither one actually happened, except in legends and myths.

Unfortunately, 99 weeks of unemployment benefits may not be enough for places like Upstate New York. I've talked to those who have been let go from my employer and the stories are all alike. There are jobs, but you have to compete with several hundred others for the same position. There are jobs, but you have to be willing to take a steep cut in salary. There are jobs, just not here and with no benefits and are on a contract basis ( about 6 months average from what I've seen and in another state, usually).

I think to myself... what did I work so hard for? Why did I go to school? I'm a Java programmer with a Master's Degree and if I should lose my job, I'd be just another faceless statistic in the sea of despair.

Yeah, Obama gave us hope alright... hope that the Congress changes hands or we're in big trouble, hope that a Republican president comes along in 2013 or our national defense will be permanently hamstrung.

CSM
07-21-2010, 07:15 AM
Those are the "jobs" this administration created.

namvet
07-21-2010, 08:04 AM
unemployment has always been taken advantage of by dead beats. just like welfare. why work when you can get it for free???

I know 2 guys that took advantage of this. but when it ran out they both had jobs within 2 weeks. just sayin

Kathianne
07-21-2010, 08:06 AM
According to Obama & Co, unemployment benefits are fueling our economy. :rolleyes:

namvet
07-21-2010, 08:18 AM
According to Obama & Co, unemployment benefits are fueling our economy. :rolleyes:

is that a surprise coming from a liberal dem???? his parrot Pelosi echoed the the same. we have plenty of jobs here locally. its not about jobs so much as it is about votes.

country
07-21-2010, 10:22 AM
I wonder how many unemployed are double dipping. Our small news paper ran an editorial claiming some are drawing unemployment benefits and working at construction jobs making more than their unemployment checks. These folks no doubt are not claiming their earnings as they get paid in cash. Should these folks be drawing govt checks? Why would they look for jobs when they keep getting unemployment benefits?

namvet
07-21-2010, 11:18 AM
I wonder how many unemployed are double dipping. Our small news paper ran an editorial claiming some are drawing unemployment benefits and working at construction jobs making more than their unemployment checks. These folks no doubt are not claiming their earnings as they get paid in cash. Should these folks be drawing govt checks? Why would they look for jobs when they keep getting unemployment benefits?

greed

HogTrash
07-21-2010, 01:59 PM
No big deal...The United States is now a welfare nation...After all.

Marxists control the House and Executive branches of government.

Sweetchuck
07-21-2010, 07:16 PM
Anyone making the connection here?

Keep the sheep dependent by a) eliminating their food source, b) providing them food when it runs low, and a bonus if they can c) make the GOP farmer look like it's all his fault.