PDA

View Full Version : Copyright on the Internet

Free Speech
07-21-2010, 05:11 PM
Does intellectual property extend to the Internet?
If I wright a post on a forum, does the administrator have the right to edit what I said even if I didn't abuse board privileges by breaking forum rules or a violation of ToS?
How much weight do the words "We reserve the right" carry anyway.
Are those words really legally binding?

What about copy/distribution, to VBulletin for instance?
I can understand it if I was permanently banned, or a threat or legal action was made, but what if I was just suspended for a while, or even did nothing?

Kathianne
07-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Does intellectual property extend to the Internet?
If I wright a post on a forum, does the administrator have the right to edit what I said even if I didn't abuse board privileges by breaking forum rules or a violation of ToS?
How much weight do the words "We reserve the right" carry anyway.
Are those words really legally binding?

What about copy/distribution, to VBulletin for instance?
I can understand it if I was permanently banned, or a threat or legal action was made, but what if I was just suspended for a while, or even did nothing?

Um, yes. If you don't like how the policy is handled at a site, you are free to move to another or do your own.

jimnyc
07-21-2010, 05:15 PM
Here is what I mean...

The above poster is an idiot and this thread is worth as much as a dogs ass. Any member of this board can reply to you in any manner they wish - and staff, and staff only, will moderate the board. Once your post is made on this board, it stays at our pleasure, and what follows is at our pleasure. This is a privately owned site. Next time listen to what I tell you in PM or you can go to a legal board and post while you're banned here.

jimnyc
07-21-2010, 05:42 PM
The dipshit who started this thread is banned. Within his first couple of posts here on the board he sent me a PM asking to have the facebook and twitter links removed - and that if it wasn't possible, that I should get software that would allow me to do so. He's PM'd me several times about posting nudity and offensive topics and why he wants to discuss them. He also believes that he owns every post he makes and therefore should be able to "moderate" his own threads and people aren't allowed to what he doesn't want. I ever so politely told him what he could do with all of his demands when he complained to me via PM. He then threatened legal action, so I cut him loose to give him plenty of time to find an attorney to sue me for not letting him run my site.