PDA

View Full Version : What's the oldest food item you have ever found in your cupboards?

KitchenKitten99
04-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Recently, while going through my MIL's cupboards with her, looking for a particular box of tea she wanted to bring up North with her (a friend brought it back from England last fall), we came across a whole, unopened box of hot cocoa packets. They looked a little 'dated', whereas the printing, styling, etc, looked like it was from a while ago. Well, the copyright date on the outside of the package said 1984!! Know what's even scarier? They didn't move into that house until 1986. They have a habit of this. If you use anything in their medicine cabinet, make sure you check the dates. They had a bottle of aspirin that expired in 2001 that I brought to their attention when I asked to use one and found it last week. I think it is the compulsive buying habits crossed with their membership at Sam's, forgetting neither of their sons live at home, and it is just the two of them.

I have found that if I offer to cook something at their house, I bring the ingredients, because on several occasions, I have come across spices and various ingredients that are no longer usable, either because of questionable color, consistency, or the fact that whatever it is, is now a solid block of whatever-it-is.

I am actually pretty good about making sure stuff hasn't passed it's expiration date, especially if it has sat in the cupboard for more than 2 weeks, unless it is canned stuff. I think anything that gets even remotely old is bread, because we seem to go through phases that we will eat it more one week than the next. I won't even let leftovers sit in the fridge for more than 3 days. I guess it just comes from my dad being all paranoid about it after he ate something in the cupboard that did pass it's date by about 3 months and he did get a little ill, but before he saw the date on the package when my step-mom asked where he got what he had just eaten.

shattered
04-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Oh, hell.. I've got you beat by decades.. :D:D

Grandmothers spice cupboard, when moving her from Rockford to here, because she's 93, and needs to be closer..

Spices from I don't know when.. But..

Durkee Cinnamon - 3-2/4oz can for 27 cents.
Durkee Cinnamon Sticks - Unopened cardboard box for 10 cents.
Durkee Nutmeg - 1-3/4oz tin for 19 cents.
Tone's Pumpkin Pie Spice - 1-1/2oz tin for 29 cents.

Kathianne
04-30-2007, 04:35 PM
Oh, hell.. I've got you beat by decades.. :D:D

Grandmothers spice cupboard, when moving her from Rockford to here, because she's 93, and needs to be closer..

Spices from I don't know when.. But..

Durkee Cinnamon - 3-2/4oz can for 27 cents.
Durkee Cinnamon Sticks - Unopened cardboard box for 10 cents.
Durkee Nutmeg - 1-3/4oz tin for 19 cents.
Tone's Pumpkin Pie Spice - 1-1/2oz tin for 29 cents.

LOL! I don't know how 'good' they'd be, but perhaps if you quadrupled the amounts? They won't make you sick, that's for sure. :laugh2:

Abbey Marie
04-30-2007, 04:35 PM
My MIL had a *can* of a spice that we determined had to be from the '60's. And typically for her, she still won't throw it out.

shattered
04-30-2007, 04:37 PM
LOL! I don't know how 'good' they'd be, but perhaps if you quadrupled the amounts? They won't make you sick, that's for sure. :laugh2:

Oh, they don't even have any smell left.. I kept them, because they're the old fashioned tins, and look cool on my little shelves on the sides of my cupboards above the kitchen sink..

I'm not sure if the cinnamon sticks have anymore smell.. Like I said, that box is still sealed..but it is cardboard... :D

Kathianne
04-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Oh, they don't even have any smell left.. I kept them, because they're the old fashioned tins, and look cool on my little shelves on the sides of my cupboards above the kitchen sink..

I'm not sure if the cinnamon sticks have anymore smell.. Like I said, that box is still sealed..but it is cardboard... :D

Truly that is funny! I think perhaps I should check the cardommon I used once, eons ago. Curry too, never use that. Oh my, I'm becoming your grandma.

shattered
04-30-2007, 04:42 PM
Truly that is funny! I think perhaps I should check the cardommon I used once, eons ago. Curry too, never use that. Oh my, I'm becoming your grandma.

"Buy honey, spices don't get old - they're always good - just scrape the top layer off with your nail!"

KitchenKitten99
04-30-2007, 04:42 PM

oh, don't throw the tins, those are great for vintage kitchen decor. And who knows, if you ever are in need of fast cash, maybe some weirdo on ebay will be willing to pay $1000 for one that is unopened for some odd reason.

Kathianne
04-30-2007, 05:01 PM
"Buy honey, spices don't get old - they're always good - just scrape the top layer off with your nail!"

LOL! Works for me! J/K

glockmail
04-30-2007, 08:23 PM
Bitters.

shattered
04-30-2007, 08:26 PM
oh, don't throw the tins, those are great for vintage kitchen decor. And who knows, if you ever are in need of fast cash, maybe some weirdo on ebay will be willing to pay $1000 for one that is unopened for some odd reason.

I have no intention of getting rid of them.. I collect old spice tins, and racks, as well an antique utensils, etc..