PDA

View Full Version : I'm fairly alarmed by the number of locked threads

Sweetchuck
07-21-2010, 06:29 PM
Honestly, it's becoming an integrity issue with me at this point.

I've found a handful of threads that I really wanted to reply to, but I couldn't because they were seemingly randomly closed.

Really. What's the point of running a message forum if you're constantly locking all the threads. So we can sit here and stare at a forum full of closed threads?

Kathianne
07-21-2010, 06:53 PM

I've found a handful of threads that I really wanted to reply to, but I couldn't because they were seemingly randomly closed.

Really. What's the point of running a message forum if you're constantly locking all the threads. So we can sit here and stare at a forum full of closed threads?

We're working on some issues that are arising, the last thread closed, has been re-opened. Things come up from time-to-time. Thanks.

Mr. P
07-21-2010, 07:03 PM
Chill Chuck, you've only been here a month. :slap:

DragonStryk72
07-21-2010, 07:51 PM

It happens sometimes, unfortunately. The mods do the very best job they can, and they do try to keep threads open for people to post, but you still get people who won't really listen.

Sweetchuck
07-21-2010, 07:56 PM
It happens sometimes, unfortunately. The mods do the very best job they can, and they do try to keep threads open for people to post, but you still get people who won't really listen.

I understand that, and I understand why ANM's thread was closed. ANM was a stand-up guy IMO to post that and hat's off to him and I agree with the mods decision to close that thread so ANM wouldn't have to suffer through 5 pages of prolonging that mia culpa, but stuff in the steel cage? I don't get that. If OCA puts a chip on his shoulder, I'd like a chance to knock it off.

I have a sort of pet peeve with the overly micro-managing of threads by closing them, it's sort of self defeating.

But that's it - I don't want to turn this into a bitch fest, that's not my intention. I'm trying to keep this constructively positive, so mods - please lock this thread.

:poke:

:laugh2:

DragonStryk72
07-21-2010, 07:59 PM
I understand that, and I understand why ANM's thread was closed. ANM was a stand-up guy IMO to post that and hat's off to him and I agree with the mods decision to close that thread so ANM wouldn't have to suffer through 5 pages of prolonging that mia culpa, but stuff in the steel cage? I don't get that. If OCA puts a chip on his shoulder, I'd like a chance to knock it off.

I have a sort of pet peeve with the overly micro-managing of threads by closing them, it's sort of self defeating.

But that's it - I don't want to turn this into a bitch fest, that's not my intention. I'm trying to keep this constructively positive, so mods - please lock this thread.

:poke:

:laugh2:

Only problem there is that sometimes what starts in the steel cage ends up coming out of it too, and that's where on problem lies, is people who don't know when to break off

Sweetchuck
07-21-2010, 08:02 PM
Only problem there is that sometimes what starts in the steel cage ends up coming out of it too, and that's where on problem lies, is people who don't know when to break off

And how is that a problem?

DragonStryk72
07-21-2010, 08:05 PM
And how is that a problem?

Like I said, it at times has been taken into other, non-Steel Cage threads. It's happened a few times actually.

Sweetchuck
07-21-2010, 08:12 PM
Like I said, it at times has been taken into other, non-Steel Cage threads. It's happened a few times actually.

Gotcha, and that's where the job gets tough for the mods. Here is where they'll have to dole out warnings and temp bans.

IMHO, of course.

A smack-shack, steel cage, whatever should be, IMO, a no-holds barred forum with minimal rules like no racial shit and no threats of violence.

Some people like to just duke it out and I think that's the purpose of these forums and I agree, a hot fart will follow you around for a while and action at that point is appropriate.

Mr. P
07-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Gotcha, and that's where the job gets tough for the mods. Here is where they'll have to dole out warnings and temp bans.

IMHO, of course.

A smack-shack, steel cage, whatever should be, IMO, a no-holds barred forum with minimal rules like no racial shit and no threats of violence.

Some people like to just duke it out and I think that's the purpose of these forums and I agree, a hot fart will follow you around for a while and action at that point is appropriate.

And they still stink.

darin
07-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Moderators seldom close threads. Threads are closed because the creator, or the participants break the rules or otherwise violate standards in the judgment of the staff. We're "paid" to make judgment calls. Jim is the sole instant reply - I typically do that in his absence.

glockmail
07-22-2010, 02:18 PM
LOL The douche in question just neg repped me because I told the truth again. What a fucking loser, driving a girlie car. :lol:

HogTrash
07-22-2010, 03:23 PM
Chill Chuck, you've only been here a month. :slap:Since when did seniority carry any weight on a political forum?

Mr. P
07-22-2010, 03:34 PM
Since when did seniority carry any weight on a political forum?

It's not a matter of seniority it's about knowing the board ebb an flow.
It was friendly advise.

Kathianne
07-22-2010, 05:06 PM
It was friendly advise.

and the lounge isn't exactly political here. I come here for a break, not snark. Mr. P's right in any case, not in chastising, which he wasn't, more of a head's up. While we seriously do our best to treat all equally, those we've known longer we understand the subtleties of banter vs. true snark. I'm unlikely to mistake a joke from Red, Glock, OCA, for instance. There are times that I thought perhaps I got too snippy with someone new, which I didn't mean the way it came out.

It's not favoritism as much as knowing some a long time.

Sweetchuck
07-22-2010, 06:09 PM
It was friendly advise.

And I welcome friendly advice.

Weather or not I pay attention to it or ignore it is another matter, but either way - I don't play henhouse politics. I'm gonna say what I feel like saying and if that ruffles a couple feathers, I could care less.

Kathianne
07-22-2010, 06:13 PM
And I welcome friendly advice.

Weather or not I pay attention to it or ignore it is another matter, but either way - I don't play henhouse politics. I'm gonna say what I feel like saying and if that ruffles a couple feathers, I could care less.

LOL! Good for you. Besides, you are posting at all hours which is allowing us to get some sense of you. Carry on. ;)

Sweetchuck
07-22-2010, 06:23 PM
LOL! Good for you. Besides, you are posting at all hours which is allowing us to get some sense of you. Carry on. ;)

Thanks, but you'll come to realize that I'm not shy.

I can only post in the evening, I don't mess around on the internet during the day, and since I'm traveling - I'm a forum junkie since it's between that and watching TV, and I don't watch TV.

gabosaurus
07-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Once you are around longer, you realize that message boards are not a democracy. They are subject to the whims of the person(s) who own them.
You have to remember the Golden Rule: Whoever has the gold (and pays for the board) makes the rules. I bitch and complain about this a lot, but mostly for my own selfish benefit. :p I know this is Jim's board and he and his appointed flunkies can do whatever they want.

It is pretty easy to start your own message board. It is much more difficult to attract members and keep the thing running.