PDA

View Full Version : what band(s) or musical act(s) should be in the rock and roll hall of fame

actsnoblemartin
07-22-2010, 01:00 AM
I say The Carpenters

KarlMarx
07-22-2010, 04:51 AM
I say The Carpenters

As much as I like you, I *hope* you're joking

Some other acts that should never make the R-n-R Hall of Fame (and why is that a government sponsored thing anyway?)

Air Supply
The Cowsills (if you're over 50 you probably remember them)
The Monkees
The Partridge Family (as much as I like Shirley Jones)
The Captain and Tennille
Zamfir - not rock n' roll, but I couldn't resist taking a potshot at the guy

I want to exclude The BeeGees, Donna Summer and a host of other disco bands, but unfortunately Disco was a phenomenon of rock n' roll (some would call it its darkest hour), so we have to recognize it. Barry Manilow is another "rock" star I'd like to exclude, but, let's face it, he's a talented fellow even if many can't stand listening to half of his stuff.

Now for some that really should be in the R-n-R hall of fame if they aren't already

1. Jimi Hendrix - If he's not in there yet, something is definitely wrong
2. Black Sabbath
3. Led Zepplin
4. Jefferson Airplane - already in there, but I thought I'd mention them anyway
5. ZZ Top
6. Hot Tuna - a JA spinoff, but still should be in there
7. Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band - a very unknown, yet very influential musician, often imitated and never matched
8. The Mothers Of Invention and anything that Frank Zappa had anything to do with
9. Jethro Tull
10. Cream
11. Metallica - heavy metal yes, but, they are an influential band
12. Rush
13. David Bowie
14. The Rolling Stones - probably already in there

I could drone on and on, but I have to go to work....

Gaffer
07-22-2010, 08:40 AM
The key words are "rock and roll". If not a rock n roll singer or band they don't belong there. There should be a pop hall of fame for the the others. Everything after 67 was either psychedelic, metal or disco. The bubble gum music was closer to rock n roll than any of the others.

Karl, I remember the Cowsills. Not rock n roll but good pop stuff. They lived in the house behind ours back in 62-63, then moved to Las Vegas.

KarlMarx
07-22-2010, 10:41 AM
Rock n' Roll, like beauty, is in the ear of the beholder.

Most of the performers on my list have already made it into the Hall of Fame.

Captain Beefheart
Hot Tuna
Rush
Jethro Tull

seem to be absent

I think that "influential" and 'groundbreaking' should be reasons to be in the RnR Hall of Fame... that's why Captain Beefheart is one of my picks... Hot Tuna, for their sheer virtuosity and long lastingness, Rush for being both an influential band with great musicians... the same goes for Tull...

I do want to add one, and I'll probably get flamed for it... Sly and the Family Stone (yeah, disco/pop, but I think they were pretty good and ground breaking by being a proto-disco band that influenced others....)

Other obvious ones, such as The Beatles, The Grateful Dead, and Van Halen are already inductees.

HogTrash
07-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Which truckdrivers should be in the Big-Rig Haul of Fame?

Which retail salespersons should be in the Retail Mall Of Fame?

Which telephone technicians should be in the Ma Bell Call Of Fame?

:slap:

Sweetchuck
07-22-2010, 06:06 PM
The RnR HOF is a complete joke not worthy of my attention.

It's a money-making scheme that some guy runs, it has zero credibility.

I side with the Sex Pistols, it's a piss stain.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f7/Sex_pistols.gif

Next to the SEX-PISTOLS rock and roll and that hall of fame is a piss stain. Your museum. Urine in wine. Were not coming. Were not your monkeys and so what? Fame at $25,000 if we paid for a table or $15000 to squeak up in the gallery, goes to a non profit organisation selling us a load of old famous. Congradulations. If you voted for us, hope you noted your reasons. Your anonymous as judges but your still music industry people. Were not coming. Your not paying attention. Outside this shit-stem is a real SEX PISTOL.