PDA

View Full Version : New computer

jackass
04-30-2007, 04:42 PM
I have a friend looking to buy a new pc. Any suggestions on where to go?? Any websites? I usually go to tigerdirect.com

Mr. P
04-30-2007, 04:48 PM
I have a friend looking to buy a new pc. Any suggestions on where to go?? Any websites? I usually go to tigerdirect.com

I prefer Dell for value. They are pushing the new OS but you can still get xp.

jimnyc
04-30-2007, 07:29 PM
Dell is definitely great, but less affordable than Tigerdirect. If you go with tiger, get the bare bones kit, buy the HDD and memory, and build it yourself. Should be able to build a damn good one for less than $500

emmett
04-30-2007, 09:33 PM
Dell is definitely great, but less affordable than Tigerdirect. If you go with tiger, get the bare bones kit, buy the HDD and memory, and build it yourself. Should be able to build a damn good one for less than $500

I have a Dell Laptop. My son said it had all the bells and whistles when I got it 4 years ago. Now it's like an old doesel engine, I have to plug it in 30 minutes before I wanna use it like a pre heater. It's rode on a stand in my truck for 200,000 miles so the top won't stay up,(it's duck taped to the arm of the passenger seat) and this thing hums constantly. I need to shoot it but I can't afford a new one.

Baron Von Esslingen
05-01-2007, 02:06 AM
After the last little explosion in a computer thread, I'll not join in this time around.

CockySOB
05-01-2007, 06:20 AM
After the last little explosion in a computer thread, I'll not join in this time around.

Thanks for the heads-up, that you won't be participating in this thread. It's not like you couldn't have just, well... NOT posted in the thread to make a point.

CockySOB
05-01-2007, 06:28 AM
I prefer Dell for value. They are pushing the new OS but you can still get xp.

I agree. Dell is an excellent price performer, although they usually have fewer expansion slots than I like. These days that doesn't make too much of a difference as most devices put out now use a USB connection, reducing the need for expansion slots on the chassis. Moreover, Dell has been bundling 17" and 19" LCD monitors with their desktop units lately, so you can get a nice, complete desktop system for a very reasonable price.

Speaking of XP, I need to burn and testbed the latest Ubuntu distro. But that's another topic.

Baron Von Esslingen
05-01-2007, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, that you won't be participating in this thread. It's not like you couldn't have just, well... NOT posted in the thread to make a point.

Keep it up and I'll change my mind... :poke:

jackass
05-01-2007, 03:16 PM
I have never been a Dell person. I point people away from Dell all the time. I prefer HP...but you are paying premium prices for them. If I was going to build it for him...I would go barebones and do it myself. Maybe he can get a good deal in Tiger....

CockySOB
05-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Keep it up and I'll change my mind... :poke:

Promise? :finger3:

Baron Von Esslingen
05-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Promise? :finger3:

And embarass everyone again? Nah, I'll pass. There's an Alberto Gonzales thread that I want to comment on.

Oh, sorry. I almost forgot. Back at ya, pal. :fu:

Pale Rider
05-02-2007, 02:08 PM
I have never been a Dell person. I point people away from Dell all the time. I prefer HP...but you are paying premium prices for them. If I was going to build it for him...I would go barebones and do it myself. Maybe he can get a good deal in Tiger....

I like the HP's myself. I'm on my forth one in ll years. The newest one here less than 5 months old. HP has great technicial suppport, and, I got this one on sale at Best Buy. I bought only the tower as I had a 19" Samsung LCD monitor. It was only $545 for the second to the top of the line.

I'd recommend an HP to anyone.

Yurt
05-03-2007, 05:08 PM
If your friend likes to work with computer hardware, I recommend building your own system. Frys now will do for you. You pick what you want, and they build it. It is often about the same price or a tad more than the plastic boxes.

Me, I bought my aluminum case 5 years ago, large, so lots of bays in front and back. My comp crashed about a year ago, literally, powersource, harddrive, motherboard, chip, so I went and replaced those items for $400. The same system was selling in plastic boxes, which almost always put inferior products in for the cd rom, fans, motherboard, etc.., for $1000.

It take work though and patience.

IMHO, worth it.

Mr. P
05-03-2007, 05:29 PM
If your friend likes to work with computer hardware, I recommend building your own system. Frys now will do for you. You pick what you want, and they build it. It is often about the same price or a tad more than the plastic boxes.

Me, I bought my aluminum case 5 years ago, large, so lots of bays in front and back. My comp crashed about a year ago, literally, powersource, harddrive, motherboard, chip, so I went and replaced those items for $400. The same system was selling in plastic boxes, which almost always put inferior products in for the cd rom, fans, motherboard, etc.., for $1000.

It take work though and patience.

IMHO, worth it.

But it can cost the same or a bit more than the plastic boxes to DIY. And then you have to buy the software too. That's what I found anyway.

I'll buy a replacement part in a heartbeat and install it, but a new build just doesn't seem cost effective to me when all is said an done.

KitchenKitten99
05-04-2007, 11:00 PM
I have a Dell Laptop. My son said it had all the bells and whistles when I got it 4 years ago. Now it's like an old doesel engine, I have to plug it in 30 minutes before I wanna use it like a pre heater. It's rode on a stand in my truck for 200,000 miles so the top won't stay up,(it's duck taped to the arm of the passenger seat) and this thing hums constantly. I need to shoot it but I can't afford a new one.
ya know, you can take it to a computer repair place (like Geek Squad type place), and they will fix the screen hinge. It is a simple fix. As far as the humming, try having it cleaned out. My old laptop did that, and it had an overheating problem, and a simple high-pressure air flush took care of both. Now my husband has it, he just added a bigger stick of RAM and a new video card and it runs damn near close to my new one for roughly $200.

Doniston
05-08-2007, 05:46 PM
I have a friend looking to buy a new pc. Any suggestions on where to go?? Any websites? I usually go to tigerdirect.com Me too.

CockySOB
05-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Keep an eye on http://Slickdealz.net and watch for the different Dell deals. The guys there watch all the promotions and usually find some extraordinary deals. You'll notice that they don't have a high opinion of TigerDirect's rebate program, but it's still a solid site for pricing and deal research.

Doniston
05-17-2007, 07:26 PM
Keep an eye on http://Slickdealz.net and watch for the different Dell deals. The guys there watch all the promotions and usually find some extraordinary deals. You'll notice that they don't have a high opinion of TigerDirect's rebate program, but it's still a solid site for pricing and deal research. And I wouldn't deal with Dell if I had to go without a Computer.

Yurt
05-17-2007, 08:58 PM
But it can cost the same or a bit more than the plastic boxes to DIY. And then you have to buy the software too. That's what I found anyway.

I'll buy a replacement part in a heartbeat and install it, but a new build just doesn't seem cost effective to me when all is said an done.

Strange, I missed this post....

Anyhoo, saw it given the post today. As I said:

It is often about the same price or a tad more than the plastic boxes.

Software does cost, and OEM sofware, while less money, does not give you the security that the full License will. That being, try bringing a problem to microsoft about windows when you buy a pre-made comp. Its not as easy as you think.

My opinion is that if you should pick and choose, have Frys build it (if you don't want to DIY), and though it may be a wee bit more (not always), it will be worth much more down the road.